338.9 KB · Views: 76

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    View attachment 294854
    I wanted dates on some of my Smiths, and the internet was of little help. Got this second hand copy on EBay, and was just delivered today. Bonus: I found that one of my model 66 is a limited production run and has a 20% premium on the value. Of course the book is older, so that valuation may have changed since that time.
    Also picked up a 50 cal ammo can at the army surplus store. I’m guessing $14.99 is a decent price on the can?
    Wait, what? I have a 66, tell me more.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Wait, what? I have a 66, tell me more.
    Whelp, my 66-1 is the revolver I was referring to. I purchased it as a 6”, but when I compared it to my 6” 19-5, it was a little longer. It turns out that it was a limited run in ‘78/’79 where the barrels were actually 6-1/8” long. A standard nominal 6” barrel for the K frame is actually only 5-7/8” so mine is a full 1/4” longer, hence the added value. The book does not say how many were produced with the slightly longer barrel, or why they did that.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Whelp, my 66-1 is the revolver I was referring to. I purchased it as a 6”, but when I compared it to my 6” 19-5, it was a little longer. It turns out that it was a limited run in ‘78/’79 where the barrels were actually 6-1/8” long. A standard nominal 6” barrel for the K frame is actually only 5-7/8” so mine is a full 1/4” longer, hence the added value. The book does not say how many were produced with the slightly longer barrel, or why they did that.
    Interesting. I’m going to have to check mine.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I ordered a Remington 870 20" smooth bore barrel in 12 gauge with rifle sights yesterday. Cost me almost as much as I recently paid for a complete 870 shotgun but I must admit, these specific barrels almost are as hard to find as tits on a turtle at a lower price than I paid. That has been true since shortly after Remington (the oldest manufacturer of fireams in this country) disappeared from these United Sates of America. What a shame that Remington essentially came to the same end as the Saber Toothed Tiger - extinction! Yeah, they may carry on more or less as clones of what they were before but that does not make it any less a crying shame.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    There isn't really a shortage. A raise in price? Yes, but I find plenty of ammo wherever I look. It's whether or not one wants to pay the raised prices./brands/bullet types or weights
    That is not really correct in all cases. There is quite the shortage of certain types of ammo when it comes to some calibers/brands/bullet types/weights (and so on) when when compared to two or so years ago.Yes you can get ammo if you pay the current price but it most definitely may not be what you want nor even what you need. Now, or recently, that shortage may have become less of a problem but it has not been fully resolved.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I ordered a Remington 870 20" smooth bore barrel in 12 gauge with rifle sights yesterday. Cost me almost as much as I recently paid for a complete 870 shotgun but I must admit, these specific barrels almost are as hard to find as tits on a turtle at a lower price than I paid. That has been true since shortly after Remington (the oldest manufacturer of fireams in this country) disappeared from these United Sates of America. What a shame that Remington essentially came to the same end as the Saber Toothed Tiger - extinction! Yeah, they may carry on more or less as clones of what they were before but that does not make it any less a crying shame.
    Roundhill claims Remington won’t be going anywhere, and that they will continue the legacy. I wonder if that will be in name only, or if they will follow the original designs. Hopefully the quality will be good.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Roundhill claims Remington won’t be going anywhere, and that they will continue the legacy. I wonder if that will be in name only, or if they will follow the original designs. Hopefully the quality will be good.
    Remington is gone with its name being used by other companies or corps. that bought the rights to the name for specific purposes. There is no longer a Remington Corporation or single company that produces what Remington used to make all under the form of what was essentially one company or corp.. Ruger bought some rights, Federal others and other companies or corps bought other parts of what had been Remington brands.

According to one source that went like this:

Remington Brands Bidders​

• Vista Outdoor Inc. acquires Lonoke ammunitions business and certain IP assets; SIG Sauer is currently a backup bid
    • Roundhill Group LLC acquires non-Marlin firearms business
    • Sierra Bullets LLC acquires Barnes Ammunition
    • Sturm, Ruger, & Co. acquires Marlin
    • JJE Capital Holdings LLC acquires DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands
    • Franklin Armory Holdings Inc. acquires Bushmaster brand and some related assets
    • Sportsman’s Warehouse Inc. acquires Tapco brands (source)

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That is not really correct in all cases. There is quite the shortage of certain types of ammo when it comes to some calibers/brands/bullet types/weights (and so on) when when compared to two or so years ago.Yes you can get ammo if you pay the current price but it most definitely may not be what you want nor even what you need. Now, or recently, that shortage may have become less of a problem but it has not been fully resolved.
    I'll rephrase since you are correct. I only need 9mm and 5.56. There is no shortage of these rounds. I would not know about other calibers.

Top Bottom