Texas SOT

What flashlight, or better yet battery, for South Texas???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    425748d3-cd57-f4db.jpg

g2 with aw 17670 battery. lamp assembly has been modified too, dont remember who i went with though.

425748d3-cd70-33b3.jpg

cree led modified gi crookneck with puppy head.

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Nice lights, all.

Alkalines will leak their corrosive acids when discharged too quickly, or left in heat.

Lithiums won't leak. However, CR123's have been known to explode, or as they say, "rapidly vent with flame," especially if used in mis-matched pairs.

That's definitely a BIG no-no: using cells from different manufacturers, or cells at different stages of discharge. I see people do it a lot. You don't want a situation where one cell's voltage is lower than anothers. It can cause back-charging, which primary cells weren't intended to do.

Lithium-ions are good too - but they have a higher voltage, and should be used only for lights that say they can handle it. Otherwise, can lead to overheating.

If the OP is looking for a light, definitely SureFires are good, Fenix, 4sevens. Streamlights too. Even the Chinese cheapys are ok, as long as you konw what you're getting for your money.

I've been into flashlights for the past 7 years, and have finally settled on a good EDC setup:
    - 2D Mag, modded with custom drivers and four Cree XR-E's, it's like 5 years old but it still pumps out 800 lumens in a throwy beam, for about 2 hours. And this on 2 Nimh D's.
    - SureFire L5, modded with three Cree MC-E's, it puts out 1100 lumens but has 4 selectable brightness levels, plus strobe. This sits in a leather holster at my belt every day.
    - Sundry small loaners: cheap $2 1-AA lights from China (dealextreme), Home depot, etc.
    - 2D Mag with latest LED, got it on sale at Home Depot for $15 during the holidays. THAT is a LOT of light for your money. The throw is great.

Post back if you have any further q's!

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Btw, the OP mentioned using in their car - but there's of course other considerations if you're going to start using the light with a firearm.

Also, LED headlamps have gone way down in price. It's worth it to get a decent (Black Diamond, Petzl, PrincetonTec) headlamp, because it's way more convenient to have your hands free when changing a tire, even going fishing, tooling around in the shed, etc.

-----

Realized I forgot to mention where you can get lithium AA's and AAA's. The only maker of these is Energizer, because they have a patent on it (the cells are also called L91 and L92's). HEB was having a sale for about 30-40% off on these. Starting this year they started making two lines, the original, which is called "Ultimate," are the original formula and have the highest capacity/longest runtime. They started selling a cheaper line, called "Advanced," which has a bit less capacity and less runtime, but it's cheap enough that I opted for several packs of those this time around, especially with the discount.

Some more benefits of lithium primaries, compared to alkalines (and definitely stay away from dollar store batteries, which are usually "heavy duty" and not even alkaline, but some random other chemistry) are:
    - Lighter weight
    - Longer runtime
    - Longer shelf-life
    - Flatter discharge curve (ever notice your Maglite start to slowly dim not too long after the cells are fresh?)
    -

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom