• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So i took a basic pistol class recently where they really emphasized pushing the gun out on the draw. That is just the prompt for me to start really thinking more about my draw.

Once you draw your gun, where do you bring it up for your hands to join?

Directly front of your stomach?
    Out and in front of your stomach?
    Up and join near your chest?
    Somewhere in between? *this what im currently doing.

We know we dont want to be bowling or fishing with our draw but there are some efficiencies beyond that which we can tighten up.

Im not looking for THE answer. Different top levels do things a little differently.

So I'm a asking what works well for you?
    Venture Surplus ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What I've found works well for me is basically having at least 2 or 3 separate drawstroke methods, and simply using the appropriate one for appropriate shots:

• If I have to fire from retention, I'll draw the gun high into a thumb pectoral index, much in the same manner as Craig Douglas (Southnarc / Shivworks) teaches.
    • If I feel I need to fire from a #3 position (chest ready, compressed ready, etc.), I draw and bring my hands together at that point, and engage the target(s) as necessary.
    • For a standard draw to a distant target that I'll be shooting from full extension, I pretty much try to draw and bring the gun to the target straight from the holster, so pretty much at a 45 degree angle from the holster to the target. If you look at most successful competition shooters, this is by far the method that many end up moving to some variation of, as a straight line is typically the most efficient.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Basically, a lot of schools might advocate a very specific drawstroke, and then only ever using those exact steps of drawstroke for EVERY draw of the gun. Personally, I think that's inefficient, at least for me. If I know that I don't need to fire from retention, and am going to fire at a target at distance, at full extension, then why would I need to draw to a perfect #2 position with thumb pectoral index, then a perfect #3 chest ready/compressed ready/whatever position, then press the gun out to the target? Instead, I like to practice each, and simply use the method that makes the most sense based on the target. In that regard, I guess you could consider it 3 separate "two step" drawstrokes, each with a common first step.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What I've found works well for me is basically having at least 2 or 3 separate drawstroke methods, and simply using the appropriate one for appropriate shots:

• If I have to fire from retention, I'll draw the gun high into a thumb pectoral index, much in the same manner as Craig Douglas (Southnarc / Shivworks) teaches.
    • If I feel I need to fire from a #3 position (chest ready, compressed ready, etc.), I draw and bring my hands together at that point, and engage the target(s) as necessary.
    • For a standard draw to a distant target that I'll be shooting from full extension, I pretty much try to draw and bring the gun to the target straight from the holster, so pretty much at a 45 degree angle from the holster to the target. If you look at most successful competition shooters, this is by far the method that many end up moving to some variation of, as a straight line is typically the most efficient.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Basically, a lot of schools might advocate a very specific drawstroke, and then only ever using those exact steps of drawstroke for EVERY draw of the gun. Personally, I think that's inefficient, at least for me. If I know that I don't need to fire from retention, and am going to fire at a target at distance, at full extension, then why would I need to draw to a perfect #2 position with thumb pectoral index, then a perfect #3 chest ready/compressed ready/whatever position, then press the gun out to the target? Instead, I like to practice each, and simply use the method that makes the most sense based on the target. In that regard, I guess you could consider it 3 separate "two step" drawstrokes, each with a common first step.
    This is good. 45 degree line makes sense and seems to be the most efficient. I also need to practice shooting from retention and one hand more.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know I sound like a broken record but I dont know why more folks dont consider and value this stuff.

So I think making my join where I do is fine. I guess I've been beaten over the head with so much tactical stuff I feel like a fudd if im not punching the gun out from collar bone height but when watching competition shooters it is much more like what we see here. The gun coming up on an angle. It is mechanically smoother and more efficient.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know I sound like a broken record but I dont know why more folks dont consider and value this stuff.

So I think making my join where I do is fine. I guess I've been beaten over the head with so much tactical stuff I feel like a fudd if im not punching the gun out from collar bone height but when watching competition shooters it is much more like what we see here. The gun coming up on an angle. It is mechanically smoother and more efficient.

Because most people don't pay attention to detail, and most people don't really care to put in the effort to attain an above average level of performance.

BTW, since I know you've asked me several times and I usually draw a blank, Matt, Steve is definitely an instructor I can recommend training with. :-)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Because most people don't pay attention to detail, and most people don't really care to put in the effort to attain an above average level of performance.

BTW, since I know you've asked me several times and I usually draw a blank, Matt, Steve is definitely an instructor I can recommend training with. :-)
    Ah cool. Thanks. Ill send him a PM.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My answer to OP's OQ (original question): Directly front of my stomach/solar plexus when I am concentrating on doing so, but it's still kind of foreign. My lifetime habit has been connecting hands at almost arms length. I feel like connecting hands at body & pushing outward has me more nearly already on target before I see the sights.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My answer to OP's OQ (original question): Directly front of my stomach/solar plexus when I am concentrating on doing so, but it's still kind of foreign. My lifetime habit has been connecting hands at almost arms length. I feel like connecting hands at body & pushing outward has me more nearly already on target before I see the sights.
    Exactly. Id gotten into. Drawing the gun/connecting my hands/pushing it out...then after I got it to settle down, acquiring the sight picture.

Im trying to not only make the full draw smooth but also have the whole draw be usable (being able to shoot from any part of the draw)

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    To the OP, I lift the gun, I put my hands together, I "sight" it on the target.

I suspect too much variation in people and circumstances to get much more dogmatic than that.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To the OP, I lift the gun, I put my hands together, I "sight" it on the target.

I suspect too much variation in people and circumstances to get much more dogmatic than that.
    I agree. Not searching for THE way just studying what works best for others. I took video of my draw recently and it got me wondering.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree. Not searching for THE way just studying what works best for others. I took video of my draw recently and it got me wondering.

A subtle point that I think a lot of people miss here is this. People trying to force themselves to replicate the technique, are artificially restricting themselves. Technique is a guideline and general method. Steve made a good point about individual variability. Everyone is different. Everyone has different physiological characteristics, so everyone is going to have variations in the manner in which they exercise a technique. Other than the very basic general idea of a technique, don't necessarily focus on trying to replicate it exactly. Focus instead on reading your sights, reading the target, pushing yourself on the shot timer, and more importantly paying attention to the feeling of what you're doing while you're doing it, and letting your body self adjust. If you pay attention to the right things and don't force it, often your body will subconsciously adapt, modify technique to more optimally achieve what you're trying to, etc. In other words, don't try to force your draw to perfectly replicate someone else' draw. Pay attention to the basic principles of a technique, push yourself on the shot timer while maintaining accountability, and eventually you will find that your body has figured out the exact pathway of that technique that works best for you. Over time, that pathway might change a bit or substantially as well.

A great example of these principles is taking a look at world class, winning pistol shooters (or any shooting or general sport competitors), and their individual differences in technique. Although 80-90%+ of their techniques may be very similar to one another, you will often find they each have variations that they've found best suit them. Case and point, Eric Grauffel. World class competitive pistol shooter that's been winning for decades. Although he utilizes a "thumbs forward" grip, he also has his support hand index finger wrapped around the trigger guard. This doesn't mean you need to do the same to achieve the same results, or that it's even possible for you to perfectly replicate someone else' technique and achieve the same results. He has simply found what works for him, and the proof is in the wins he takes home. Plenty of others also win while not having their support index finger wrapped around the trigger guard. By itself, one single aspect of a technique does not necessarily mean anything to everyone.

Top Bottom