APOD Firearms

What does it cost to get started in reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Reloading is something that I've always kinda wanted to do, but don't know if I have the space for it. But I was accidentally gifted 9mm bullets instead of ammo this year. Where I work has tons of lead, possibly literally. I'm sure I could buy some super cheap from them. It was mentioned before. I just don't know if it's the right type of lead. Like low tin or something. But yeah, I see a basic Dillon XL750 is $700 while a nice package is $2,300~. Lee stuff is $200-$400 or so. I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff that is needed. All I have are the 9mm firearms, some 9mm bullets (200) and access to free/cheap lead that may or may not be the right type. What else do I need and how much to expect to spend for basic and more advanced setup? I'm sure a Dillon would have a higher resale and be easier to do so?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There is a book called, "The ABC's Of Reloading" that is excellent. It usually can be found used on Amazon for less than $15.

I'd suggest getting this bool, reading it thoroughly several times, then come back and ask some questions.

Also, these are crazy times to consider reloading from scratch with some reloading components being scarce and expensive. Hopefully that trend will change in the near future.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Vaquero gave me a single stage press and a reloading manual years ago to get me into it. If I had anything to say about it, get some advice from someone experienced. Just sitting down, watching someone, learning from them is priceless. PM me if you want to load some.
    Excellent advice. I learned a lot by reading, but also learned much from my father who was a long-time reloader.

There are quite a few member here that are very experienced reloaders that are happy to share their knowledge of reloading.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Keep in mind that one doesn't have to buy everything that they might eventually need all at once. The very best way to get into hand loading is to have a friend that hand loads and learn the process as well as what is needed to start. I don't think I would have ever lasted hand loading by myself. If it wasn't for a good friend that had been doing it for years I may have given it up early on. It isn't necessarily difficult, just very tedious

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Wait, un band Ducati/Andimano. Hes loaded thousands of rounds on his dillons. Lol

Between tanning laundry and riding his bike with a slung AR.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You dont really save money till 2and or 3rd loading of brass.

Then again I plan on looking at reloading as a hedge against the next shortfall. If I can afford it.

The good news is no one has won the Powerball since October. Tomorrow's my day. I'll buy you all a reloading setup if I win.

A Dillons brand. Never heard of dillons but Ducati has one so....

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Casting bullets is not something that all reloaders do. Maybe it can said that most do not? But you having access to cheap lead is a major benefit most folks don't have. And you can add the tin, antimony, etc in the melting pot as needed.

You have a very good attitude about it as a beginner just by being able to admit that you don't know much about it - that's the right frame of mind to have about it even after you learn a lot about it.

Use the great advice folks here are giving you and you'll do very well with it. It is addicting and an entire hobby within itself that will support your shooting addiction.

Top Bottom