What do you want out of a firearms Instructor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Bob

I gotta say, I think you covered most of it. About the the only thing I might add, and has been said before, is that the instructor to be able to make fun of his/herself if the situation warrants it. We all know that firearms can be dangerous and need to be treated with a strong amount of respect. As well as some of those situations where a firearm might be needed or required to neutralize a threat or situation. But that doesn't mean that instructor can't show his/her class that they are still human and not infallible if a a mistake does occur. When I was training people in the design protocols a the firm I used to work at, I learned that a lot of people "get it" a bit quicker if a certain amount of longevity and humor was used along with the strict tone of a Drill Sergeant to reinforce the core points and directives.

Very true, I've made mistakes while teaching and used it as a chance to make fun of myself. Once students realize the instructor is human, they actually relate to the material better. Some instructors have such large egos, they can't admit to making a mistake. That's a turn off.
    Guns International

Top Bottom