DK Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Where do you source all the lead?

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    We have 300+ trucks and trailers at our company so we have a tire guy on site. I just get wheel weights from the tire guy. I stop by every couple months and clean them out. I total about a full 5 gallon bucket pet year.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Making some blue 10mm. Yesterday and today I sized 1k 9mm and 500 10mm. Today I primed the 9mm but my.hands hurt from using the hand primer so the 10mm will have to wait for primers.
    6fb4cca38b1de0327f8c7098e557cefb.jpg

Help a brother out with some of those 10mm , I’ll trade ya’ some powder . What’s a pound of varget nowadays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Help a brother out with some of those 10mm , I’ll trade ya’ some powder . What’s a pound of varget nowadays?

These didn't turn out well. I lost about 30% because the powder coat got clumpy. I think the powder itself got moisture in it or something.

Do you need just some bullets or loaded rounds?

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    These didn't turn out well. I lost about 30% because the powder coat got clumpy. I think the powder itself got moisture in it or something.

Do you need just some bullets or loaded rounds?

Just bullets probably, I’m in the stage of saving brass now. I have the primers and powders , I just need to buy some dies and bullets and I’m ready to load some plinkers.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Just bullets probably, I’m in the stage of saving brass now. I have the primers and powders , I just need to buy some dies and bullets and I’m ready to load some plinkers.

Let me know when you're ready to load and I'll hook you up with some powder coated bullets.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Help me out leadheads!

I'm currently casting from lead purchased at $60/60# shipped. With all this seat time I'm getting I'm wondering about some things:

Attachments

• lead1.jpg
      lead1.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 67
    • lead2.jpg
      lead2.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 69
    • lead3.jpg
      lead3.jpg
      91.4 KB · Views: 57

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    It looks like it has a lot of dirt in it. There is also quite a bit of yellow(iron maybe?)in the melt. It was my understanding this was ready to cast/pour into the mould. The price was right then and certainy is right now.

I'm just wondering what it is; by the way I PC all my boolits.

Thanks

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    It looks like the lead wasn't fluxed. I think the yellow is zinc in the mix that's oxidizing causing the color. Might be tin. Can't remember.

Honestly looks like just melted down wheel weights but they didn't process them all the way to get out the BS.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    It looks like it has a lot of dirt in it. There is also quite a bit of yellow(iron maybe?)in the melt. It was my understanding this was ready to cast/pour into the mould. The price was right then and certainy is right now.

I'm just wondering what it is; by the way I PC all my boolits.

Thanks
    Yellow dross is Tin Oxide, your alloy is too hot.
    Turn down your temperature to around 800, the tin is coming out of the alloy.

FYI you want the 2% Tin in the mix.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Mixed bag at the range today. Great groups. GREAT groups! BUT, I didn’t take into account that the range I was going to is covered out to about 15-20 yards, so the only way to chronograph is to try and get it set up about 20 yards from the bench, on the side of a steep berm! And then try and get it lined up between me and the target, which like almost every outdoor range I go to, is never straight on, it’s at an angle. After waking back and forth several times, to try and get it lined up right, I just gave up trying. Shot some 147 grain Hornady ELD Match bullets loaded with H4350. Best 3 shot group:
    81ceb0ea038519e07365e14c779bfa49.jpg

And the worst:
    558ec2ac6f5a624ef00d84b049c85143.jpg

I have yet to find a load, or even any factory ammo for that matter, that doesn’t shoot great out of this rifle.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Mixed bag at the range today. Great groups. GREAT groups! BUT, I didn’t take into account that the range I was going to is covered out to about 15-20 yards, so the only way to chronograph is to try and get it set up about 20 yards from the bench, on the side of a steep berm! And then try and get it lined up between me and the target, which like almost every outdoor range I go to, is never straight on, it’s at an angle. After waking back and forth several times, to try and get it lined up right, I just gave up trying. Shot some 147 grain Hornady ELD Match bullets loaded with H4350. Best 3 shot group:
    81ceb0ea038519e07365e14c779bfa49.jpg

And the worst:
    558ec2ac6f5a624ef00d84b049c85143.jpg

I have yet to find a load, or even any factory ammo for that matter, that doesn’t shoot great out of this rifle.

What rifle?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Tonight I ran 10mm through the press. 200x powder coat and 150x 180gr XTPs. Now to hang out with the kids before they go to bed.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Just ordered some lead. I guess I'm getting into casting.

I guess now I need to pick a hotpot and my first set of molds.

Any recommendations for a pot?
    Or mold preferences?
    Anything else I'll need?

I'm thinking 9mm, 300BO subs, and heavy 458 socom is what I'll be casting most.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Just ordered some lead. I guess I'm getting into casting.

I guess now I need to pick a hotpot and my first set of molds.

Any recommendations for a pot?
    Or mold preferences?
    Anything else I'll need?

I'm thinking 9mm, 300BO subs, and heavy 458 socom is what I'll be casting most.

Start with a Lee bottom pour furnace with a twenty pound capacity. It will get the job done and not that expensive so if you decide casting is not for you, you're not out too much. If you stick with it you might invest in a Lyman or find a good used one.

Next get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook better yet get this first and read it before starting. It also has load data for cast bullets.

Check out the Cast Boolits forum. Lost of good info and knowledgeable people there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom