DK Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Handloader had a DVD a few years back on how to begin casting, wonder if you could find it online for cheap or get it from them. I want to say Ventrino did it but it's been a long time.
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I have used them. I don't anymore. Others may have reasons to use them but the only thing I got out of them was that they sized all the way down. If you're shooting, say, .40S&W out of a Glock and those mild bulges near the case head bother you then you should know that push-through dies will iron them out.

As for other cartridges, I never found a need for them in my low-volume reloading. Besides, they kind of screwed around with my bench processes.

Regarding 9mm, I seem to remember someone coming up with a sort of through-die resizing set-up but it's been years and I don't remember the details. Otherwise, the case taper means that 9mm doesn't work with such dies.

I'm sure some folks think they are the bee's knees but other than the aforementioned need to recycle consistently bulged cases, I never found a compelling need for them.

YMMV, of course.

Next up - roll sizing. Does anybody do that? :)

3 gun neighbor has a pneumatic operated roll sizing setup for 9mm.
    About 2, 5 gallon buckets per hour without tending.
    It's interesting to watch.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Thanks Deavis.

I’ve been doing some reading and checking around and what stuck with me was “unless you’re loading oddball rounds you can buy it as cheaply as you can cast it, figuring in your time”.

I think this is true. I have “some” lead but I don’t have a steady supply to replace it with. I do have an acquaintance I can work a deal with to cast what I have and then make a determination on whether to go forth or not.

I’m really happy with the hard cast bullets I’m getting from Acme; I just glove up and go!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've learned that the people who figure in their time think their time.is.worth more than it really is. I'm loading 9 and 380 cast for under 3 cents each. I've got all the time in the world to save that kind of money. I can also go to the range and not even break $20 including the range fee.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I've learned that the people who figure in their time think their time.is.worth more than it really is. I'm loading 9 and 380 cast for under 3 cents each. I've got all the time in the world to save that kind of money. I can also go to the range and not even break $20 including the range fee.

I always wonder if those people pay themselves to watch tv, play on the 'net, or participate in other down time activities.

Don't get me wrong, I reload but don't cast mainly because I don't want to.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    To be clear I wasn't trying to be rude, either, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I cast because I traded a member here a Chinese mosin for 2 pots and a mold. It was all I could get for that mosin from anyone on here.

Then the tire guys at my shop had free lead they let me take. Add in the keg of powder I got and it was just a no brainier. I quickly taught myself. It's a good time killing hobby if you have plenty of time to kill, like me...

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Thanks Deavis.

I’ve been doing some reading and checking around and what stuck with me was “unless you’re loading oddball rounds you can buy it as cheaply as you can cast it, figuring in your time”.

I think this is true.

This is absolutely true but a lot of people dont value their time at all and pretend that everything is leisure time to justify it. If your pleasure is shooting then reloading may be a good use of your time if it lets you shoot more. If your pleasure is reloading then that's great and if casting helps you reload more that's super. However, if your goal is to enjoy shooting and you derive no joy from casting then it is a waste of your time to cast in most cases because your time could be spent reloading so you can shoot more, the thing you ENJOY. Spend the money to buy the bullets, load, and use that extra time to shoot more.

I get people saying they enjoy reloading and every aspect of the hobby in all its glory but I know that is BS. Otherwise there wouldn't be an RT1500 for trimming or a progressive press because if you TRULY think of reloading as leisure time then loading on a single stage with a beam balance for powder charges would be heaven on earth! Anyhow, I digress, I take this one to seriously.

Got one of the Camdex machines setup in 10mm and am working out the kinks with the new parts getting it all tuned up. Ready to run at speed tomorrow and put out some ammo.

20200109_163138.jpg

Attachments

• 20200109_163138.jpg
      20200109_163138.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 507

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I’m heading your way, Ben! I’ve been loading on my T7 for a while now and things became enjoyable once I started using the 3br(sp?)powder dispenser I bought.

I’ve got some tweeking to do on the bench before I really try to go hard at it.
    Steel framed packing table BUT the top is sheet metal, giving me some flex so I’m thinking about removing the 1/8” steel I have on my workbench then having it cut in half then doubling it.
    Damn table is over 120#s + all the junk stacked on it I figured there wouldn’t be any movement but the flex is there.

I’ll ask my neighbor about getting the cutting done.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I still have mine! My first press, Lee pot metal single stage got sold, replaced by the turret.

I bought an LNL and needed a single so I bought the good Lee but now I do everything on the T7.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Loaded six rounds of .40 lead; two didn’t chamber, one was a dud and three were on top of each other at ten yds.

I’ll clean the chamber and revisit after I put the generator away.

Top Bottom