What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    I go with freezer bag's for storage (250 rounds a bag):

IMG_20150809_232358.jpg

Get's a bit wobbly with a bunch piled atop each other.

I'm thinking of sticking the bags in cans to make them a little more structured without loosing too much storage space.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I tried pulling my 338 ammo apart with the tools I have handy. Nope, too much bullet damage. It is like they make the proper tools for a reason.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I worked a lot of brass yesterday and spent some time today just organizing the room. I got 2 kitchen cabinet pieces in there now, that helps.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I took my ak out today finally. I had my v-max rounds loaded up but while driving around at work listening to YouTube videos I realized I may have over crimped them.

Yesterday I pulled a bullet and sure enough it looked like a mushroom. Scrambling through the internet for a solution I found a guy who said he had over crimped several hundred rounds before he found they were over crimped. His solution was to seat the bullets ever so slightly deeper to reopen the crimp slightly and relieve some of the pressure on the bullet. This led his groups to drop from 5" down to 2".

I set my seating die down from 2.222 to 2.217. Ran half my rounds through.

Got to the range and fired the untouched rounds. All were in about a 4" group and the edge of the group was about 3" high and left.

Ran the mag with the extra push down and they were in about a 2.5x2.75" group. The group was centered on bullseye too.

Interesting how the 2 mags of unmodified rounds with the over crimp shot high left but the ones I seated deeper stayed zeroed...

Gonna load up another box of v-max tonight. I'm going to try two different batches. First will be seated to the 2.222 and the second will be seated to 2.217. I'm curious to see if the deeper seated rounds will stay zeroed and if the longer OAL will wander again or stay zeroed as well????

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't have your skill yet. I'm learning though as I go
    Skill comes from experience. Experience comes from doing things right and wrong. I get joy from helping people keep from making the same mistakes that I have, or have learned from others that made them.

Anyways, consistent bullet release is part of accuracy. Crimps are usually inconsistent. And unnecessary.

Generally if it doesn't have Magnum in the name I don't crimp them. Even then I still may not.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I have a couple of cases with a small primer pocket which I have used to test seating depths to set my die.

My dies came with expanders for .3065 and .3095. I used the .3095 expander when I made the first batch. The test round I made tonight I used the .3065 expander and the case held the bullet pretty tight. Maybe I'll have to try some without a crimp and see how they do.

Also, my overall length numbers were wrong. I was at 2.220 overall and the over crimped rounds I nudged back down went to 2.217.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Trimmed and chamfered some brass. Then sorted by weight.

Loaded some this morning early, then went and tested.

wbstx11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Installed the Hornady die bushing on my RCBS Rock Chucker and primer pocket swaged some LC 308 brass.

Top Bottom