Lynx Defense

What beer is in your fridge and what charcoal/wood do you grill/smoke with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys,
    I'm unemployed. I've been very busy putting in applications and doing interviews all week. Today is Thursday and I'm focused on the beach, beer, BBQ, and winding down.

So being a Texan, you gotta have beer in your fridge and grilling consumables at the ready at any time. Post pics and give descriptions/excuses.
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got I think one bottle of Shiner and a few cans of Modello Negro at the moment. They are both old; I don't drink often :laughing:

I BBQ with oak or pecan pieces I find. Either big limbs I pick up from my own place or free pieces I find elsewhere. I've got a pretty good sized pile just from asking people if I can have what they put on the curb.

Store bought charcoal is nasty and costs too damn much. Don't waste money on it.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Lone Star Light & Pecan or Mesquite wood

11295534_855075841194718_2399707300991705153_n.jpg

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I started using charcoal to start the fire before I put on the wood.
    I start my pit with some small pieces of dry wood and a blow torch ;) Once the dry wood is burning good you can put the greener stuff on. I don't like using fresh green wood, tho. It needs to be a little weathered to be just right.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What I have on hand today...

Beer: Shiner Prickly Pear, Dos Equis, Shiner Bock, and Pacifico Claro.

Liquor: Bookers, Jack Daniels, BellMeade, Glenmorangie, Titos, Cointreau, Bacardi, Captain Morgan, and a few others I can't think of.

Charcoal: Royal Oak Lump (works well in egg)

Funny thing is I don't drink much. I can work an offset smoker (don't have one now) but the wife runs the egg and does quite well.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Southern Star Blonde or something from Real Ale out in Blanco.

Post oak, live oak, and mesquite. Sometimes pecan. Royal Oak briquettes.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Boy, am I out of this loop! There are no alcoholic beverages in my fridge, only cold, fresh water (my favorite drink). Our community well water has high salt content so I buy drinking water in gallon jugs.

Wood? None. I use a gas grill.

Flash

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I buy whatever charcoal is on sale... but without the starter fluid soaked in because you can never completely burn that away. This time it was Kingsford in a double-package special at Walmart.

I use starter fluid but I don't let it sit and soak in for very long. I buy whatever is the cheapest starting fluid (per ounce) I can find. The last three bottles I bought were also a Walmart special.

For smoking I use whatever nice pieces of oak I have on hand from trimming my trees so that costs nothing.

I never cheap out on beer. I like Mackeson's Triple XXX Stout but I can't find it here :( so I settle for Modelo Negro.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I like Mackeson's Triple XXX Stout but I can't find it here :( so I settle for Modelo Negro.
    Never settle! Negro Modelo is not even close to a good stout, of which there are lots of. Surely you have a HEB nearby. Most of their stores have a really good beer selection.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I use starter fluid but I don't let it sit and soak in for very long. I buy whatever is the cheapest starting fluid (per ounce) I can find.
    Get a cheapy blow torch and try it out. I find it works a heck of a lot faster than other methods and you don't have to mess with nasty lighter fluid anymore.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I use one of those charcoal chimney starters. Newspaper for fuel to start, takes waaay less time to get coals hot and you avoid the lighter fluid.

Top Bottom