• ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    This happened in the same drilling area I work in every day. I travel 18 south of Pecos and I-20 to Midland each day and see all kinds of shit fall off of the back of oilfield service trucks. They never take the time to secure anything before heading to the next job. Just last week I barely missed a full tire (rim and all) that fell off the back of a service truck and rolled directly at me on the interstate. The driver of the truck never noticed or if he did he pretended he did not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    This happened in the same drilling area I work in every day. I travel 18 south of Pecos and I-20 to Midland each day and see all kinds of shit fall off of the back of oilfield service trucks. They never take the time to secure anything before heading to the next job. Just last week I barely missed a full tire (rim and all) that fell off the back of a service truck and rolled directly at me on the interstate. The driver of the truck never noticed or if he did he pretended he did not.

Any idea what this tool cost? I know drill heads are stupid crazy expensive. I could only imagine what this thing is worth.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Any idea what this tool cost? I know drill heads are stupid crazy expensive. I could only imagine what this thing is worth.

It is no where near as expensive as say a rock bit. It's replacement cost would be between 3-5K for Halliburton. It's worth nothing to anyone trying to sell it secondhand because no one in their right mind would buy it. They are trying to say that someone could potentially make a bomb out of it and that it will cause radiation burns/sickness etc... It does contain a small amount of radioactive material (Americium I believe) but a person would need this one and many many more to make a bomb and the radiation it puts off is no where near the level it would need to be to cause burns/sickness. They are just using scary words to scare anyone who has or might stumble upon it into turning it in.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Still missing as of 5:45 today. And the search goes on. If it fell off the truck enroute it may never be found. Looking for a seven inch rod over 113 miles of roadway.

Seems they'd have an instrument that could be strapped to a helicopter that would be able to detect the radiation emitting from it.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    This isn't the first time this has happened. I remember a Schlumberger truck lost one back in the late 80's too. They looked for days and I don't think they ever found it. The crew did get fired though.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    We had a guy who was severely injured by a radiation source back in my pipeline days (1980's). He found a source that was on the ground and put it in his back pocket. When the testing guys came back awhile later and asked if anyone saw something that looked like this, he pulled it out. They didn't tell him what it was. He ended up in the hospital and slowly all the flesh on one cheek of his ass rotted away. He lived, the testing guys got in a lot of trouble. They made us look at the slide show of the pictures they took each day of the damage. Nobody on the pipeline system messed with anything the xray guys were using after seeing that, even if it was just a wrench or something.

Back then it was treated as something done by idiots that needed to be fired. Now the fear is that it's being done by terrorists.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    It does contain a small amount of radioactive material (Americium I believe) but a person would need this one and many many more to make a bomb and the radiation it puts off is no where near the level it would need to be to cause burns/sickness. They are just using scary words to scare anyone who has or might stumble upon it into turning it in.

O - M - G! Houston's abc13 dot com seez I'm gonna die from 8 hunert miles away! What shuud I do?

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    O - M - G! Houston's abc13 dot com seez I'm gonna die from 8 hunert miles away! What shuud I do?

As that old Atom Bomb attack poster said at the end:

Squat down.
    Put your head between your knees.
    Reach up and kiss your ass goodbye.

Kind of like this one:
    office-of-civillian-defense-nuclear-bomb-attack-art-poster-print.jpg

Goes along with the "Duck and Cover" crap I went through in elementary school in the 50s.

bomb-duck-and-cover-best-demotivational-posters.jpg

As for the missing tool, what about the TOOL that lost it in the first place??

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    As that old Atom Bomb attack poster said at the end:

Squat down.
    Put your head between your knees.
    Reach up and kiss your ass goodbye.

Kind of like this one:
    office-of-civillian-defense-nuclear-bomb-attack-art-poster-print.jpg

Goes along with the "Duck and Cover" crap I went through in elementary school in the 50s.

bomb-duck-and-cover-best-demotivational-posters.jpg

As for the missing tool, what about the TOOL that lost it in the first place??

If it makes you feel any better we did the same drills in the 70's.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    It is not a nuclear bomb that you worry about. It is the potential to put it in some explosives and blow it up spreading radiation and then panic. That is where the word terrorist comes from. Imagine news of a radioactive dirty bomb going off in the middle of Houston then the wind blowing small radioactive particles everywhere. Worst case scenario is seeing 4,000,000 people trying to get out of there at the same time. Radiation probably harmless but the real weapon is the panic and the deaths resulting from the mass exit.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I remember doing the "under desk drill" in the 80's up North also. It not only protects you from nuclear blasts but tornadoes also.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems they'd have an instrument that could be strapped to a helicopter that would be able to detect the radiation emitting from it.

NEST has helicopter mounted scintillation detectors, however Tx Dept State Health Services simply requested assistance from National Guard vehicle mounted detectors to search for the source.

"Halliburton lost the unit on Sept. 11, according to an NRC report. Pickup trucks with detection gear retraced the route of a vehicle that carried the device before it was lost. The trucks drove at 10 miles an hour between Pecos and Odessa without finding the unit, the report said."

Top Bottom