• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    my dad bought a beater shotgun for my nephew and the previous owner cut the barrel down. well they cut it after one of the post that hold the rib on so now the end of the rib is unsupported and kinda sagging. i was wondering if i pulled out the mig welder and slapped a little tack on it would it be fine or is there a better way to go about this.
    Lynx Defense

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'd never trust welding on a barrel of anything I was going to shoot. I'd bet a replacement barrel can be had pretty cheaply. That's the direction I'd be looking in.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the replacement barrels were like 200 bucks its a wingmaster 870 in 20ga the only cheap ones we found were 12ga plus the gun was only 100 bucks so my dad is not trying to spend alot especially since its for a 4 yr old

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You could always cut that sagging part of the rib off. It doesn't sound like you have much to lose at this point (as far as a front sight). Welding could weaken the steel and cause a spot for a split to start. Also, the heat could possibly loosen the next rib joint if it is soldered on.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you're not trying to add barrel to existing barrel then you shouldn't have functional trouble. Just put some shims in the back and then throw a low amp mig tack in between the rib and barrel and it should work. The only two problems I can think of you having would be A. If the rib is aluminum then of course welding won't go, and B. If you're going to try to make it look original, it won't if you weld it. When welding on barrels, the metallurgy is altered and it won't hold cold or hot blue. you would have to duracoat or paint the weld.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    thanks for that post dobarker. i think the rib might actually be aluminum i checked online and it seems its silver soldered on so ima look into that im not worried about looking original at this point because with how much was cut off and they was the rib is kinda hanging makes it look was different than stock

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i thought about that aswell but the gun has no sights on it and i can get a cheap set of sights that clip on to the ribs. if i cant get them to stay properly ill just take the rib off and tap a hole for some new sights

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Either have a gunsmith silver solder the desired place or get a friend thats proficient to do it, doesn't require the high temp as acetylene, tig, or electric welding. Sil Floss I seem to remember is available at plumbing supplies and you'll need silver solder flux, a propane torch. Silfloss might not be the exact correct name but they will know what you mean, do not lead-acid solder, won't hold..

Top Bottom