Gun Zone Deals

weighing .223 brass for precision loads.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I went through 100+ casings. Not sorted by headstamp. Just resized, de-primed, primer crimp removed and trimmed/deburred. Got a decent sampling of cases. Then sorted by headstamp.
    Approximately 1/2 are LC and 1/2 FC.
    Should I measure by volume and cull? Or just go with the scale?
    Gun Zone Deals

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Unless all the cases are manufactured in the same lot, weighing will be a futile chore.

From my humble experience, .223 is very forgiving as to case weight.

Where the .223 shines, is that unless you have to compress the powder, most all cases give precision accuracy if they are trimmed to the same length, primed with the same primer, are crimped consistently, and topped off with a match grade bullet.

My favorite load is a 68 grain Hornady BTHP sitting on 23 grains of AA2230 contained in a LC case, and a CCI small rifle primer.

I've tried different cases with the same load, but did not see any notable difference in accuracy.

On the other hand, using once-fired Remington brass, that load split the case mouths and rendered them unusable for future use. (In a 5.56 chamber -- both in a Colt 6920 and a Mossberg MVP).

Accuracy was unaffected, but the brass was ruined.

It is my firm belief that at the moment of ignition, the case gets instantly formed to the chamber, and the bullet gets launched through the bore.

Were I to describe this in a University class room, I would be accused of a micro-aggression.

Be well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Unless all the cases are manufactured in the same lot, weighing will be a futile chore.

From my humble experience, .223 is very forgiving as to case weight.

Where the .223 shines, is that unless you have to compress the powder, most all cases give precision accuracy if they are trimmed to the same length, primed with the same primer, are crimped consistently, and topped off with a match grade bullet.

My favorite load is a 68 grain Hornady BTHP sitting on 23 grains of AA2230 contained in a LC case, and a CCI small rifle primer.

I've tried different cases with the same load, but did not see any notable difference in accuracy.

On the other hand, using once-fired Remington brass, that load split the case mouths and rendered them unusable for future use. (In a 5.56 chamber -- both in a Colt 6920 and a Mossberg MVP).

Accuracy was unaffected, but the brass was ruined.

It is my firm belief that at the moment of ignition, the case gets instantly formed to the chamber, and the bullet gets launched through the bore.

Were I to describe this in a University class room, I would be accused of a micro-aggression.

Be well.
    I agree with most of this.

I would add to sort by headstamp and then weigh, but it may not make any difference. The weight may be in different areas by different headstamps, thicker walls, thicker heads, or whatever. But it really may be unnoticeable. Thicker necks on one headstamp may vary the groups a bit though.

Also, I don't crimp ammo that I am shooting for accuracy. It seems to cause a bit of inconsistency. But again, it may not make much difference. I just like every advantage I can get.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    This may not apply here but I once made duplicate batches of rifle ammo(280 remington specifically) all sorted, trimmed, processed,charged and seated the same. When I applied a crimp, the rounds had a lower SD from what I believe is more consistent neck tension. Unless you turn necks, a crimp is a good way to maintain uniformity from round to round.

Like I said though, it may not even apply to the 223. Kinda makes me want to re-do that experiment just to know.

I do agree with others about the sorting of 223 brass. Sorting by headstamp and cutting to similar lengths will help. Otherwise, the case volume test is said to be a common technique for BR shooters.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Given your choices and that you think it will help, do it by weight until you can equal the gun's capability. Then by volume if you still think there is more potential.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Doubtful you will be able to see enough of a difference on the target to make it worth your while. In my experience LC NATO headstamped brass seems to have one of the largest variances in case weight.

I have found deburring flashholes to have more impact on accuracy than sorting by weight. Coincidentally, LC seems to have some of the smallest burrs outside of Lapua (drilled flashholes) and not worth bothering with.

Trim length is importan. Consistency will yield more repeatable crimps with lead to accuracy

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've weight sorted a couple hundred FC.
    Got a couple of substantial "batches".
    Will report back.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Also what is the intended purpose of the ammo, as well as platform.
    Are you shooting them from an AR or Bolt gun.
    was the load being developed or did you already have one set up
    Memo

Intended purpose is ringing steel out to 600 yd +-
    AR15
    Load development is part of it, but down to minor tweaks now.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    IMAG1318.jpg

FC brass is my go to now.
    7 rounds from a single magazine loading.
    2 flyers due to shooter error.
    Load development is completed.

Shooter needs practice.

memo43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's a good looking group was the test distance at 100 yds, if so you have a good half moa group.
    what are the velocities of those, as well as barrel length and what kind of optics.
    I know you stated that you wanted to shoot steal at 600+. With a group like that I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. as it stands the rifle/shooter combo is shooting 3"+ at 600 with same conditions as you tested.
    if you can try shooting a bit further 200/300 yards and see what the end results are.
    Just remember are you going for Minute OF Angle or Minute of Steel.
    If your not satisfied let me know I might have something for you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom