• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txhk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Houston
    Was at a public indoor range today shooting a SBR and a RO walks over and asks to see my stamp. Is this common practice ?
    DK Firearms

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    it seems to be something starting up lately.
    I was asked at Carter's Country and Shooters Station over this past weekend.
    It was my first visit to Shooters Station but I had been to Carters several times testing loads and had never been previously asked. It was a new dude at Carters.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I am still trying to educate Shooter's Station on the process... CC is a lost cause I'm sure. SS staff is friendly and receptive.

As for ranges doing this, I just think it's gonna take us shooters banding together and refusing. NFA weapons are more regulated and tougher to get than regular guns, yet they never ask people their age or to prove they're not a felon, etc.

BLAKEinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Benbrook
    Its private property they can ask you to show your stamp or they can tell you to leave but most ranges dont ask if it looks professional like a factory can

Most places though dont know what they are looking at unless they are a SOT, I almost got kicked out of a indoor range because i told them ive got them on form 3s i dont need a stamp so the guy flipped out saying i was committing several felonies and putting them in jeopardy by being their i told him to get the manager and told him what the paperwork meant and they allowed me to shoot

Its not normal but its also CYA

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There's been some range's getting shut-down lately from shooters acting up and undercover agents looking into things from what I hear. So they may just be aware of that, and trying to watch thier backs. The way I see it-if you're going to use thier range, then why not show the paper on request just to be nice? It ain't hurting anyone, and it's letting them focus on someone else rather than worry about you.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    I figure either the ranges allow them or not....I dont like to present my paper to some cat that's not LE. I did it those two times as a courtesy. I guess they have the right to not permit NFA items if I refuse to provide a copy of my stamp. Are they afraid they are going to get a spot check by BATFE or something?

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    "There's been some range's getting shut-down lately from shooters acting up and undercover agents looking into things from what I hear"

Which ones? I had not heard anything.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    It's not the range's job to enforce federal firearms law. Just like it's not their job to verify you are able to legally own a gun before you shoot. They face no liability IMO for any "ATF spot checks". There is no CFR or Statute I am aware of that requires ranges to verify proper possession of NFA items. So that begs the question- if there's no law on the books requiring them to check, then why the hell are they asking?

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    It's not the range's job to enforce federal firearms law. Just like it's not their job to verify you are able to legally own a gun before you shoot. They face no liability IMO for any "ATF spot checks". There is no CFR or Statute I am aware of that requires ranges to verify proper possession of NFA items. So that begs the question- if there's no law on the books requiring them to check, then why the hell are they asking?

What he said!

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I guess some range recently got shut down in gatesville because people kept shooting over the berm or something like that. I heard about it a while ago, so I don't remember all the details. It's not hicksville, but I guess there was another one nearby somewhere.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea, I dunno then. If the range can't get shut down for people there shooting weapons they shouldn't be shooting, then you got me. I'll go read some other threads now lol

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    It's annoying to me. Like they are questioning if I'm legit or not...integrity is one of my strongest virtues and it pisses me off when I perceive it as questioned.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Well frankly, it's just none of their damn business. Pretty soon they'll want the SN off my gun so they can run that and make sure it's not stolen. They are being stupid and uneducated(and yes, RUDE) when they ask for proof of legal ownership. They are not the enforcers of any criminal law. They just have a civil duty to keep the range safe, and asking for paperwork does nothing towards that goal. If you believe NFA items pose a safety risk, don't allow them. But don't piss off customers by showing your stupidity. Besides, anyone can print a piece of NFA paperwork off the net, a quick google search landed me this:

http://www.revenuer.com/ebay/e036911.gif

I might just print it out and keep it in my range bag for fun and show it if ever asked.

Hey Dredge, out of curiosity did the Shooters Station people just look and see a stamp? If they didn't match the NFA paperwork to the Serial Number on the item and then verify your drivers license against your trust/Form4, then what the hell is the point?

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Yea-I see your point scott. I was thinking something different, but you guys got me on this one. lol

I'm not directing my frustration at you, I'm just generally miffed that this rumor goes around about ATF "spot checking" ranges blah blah. I heard that at Shooters Station too. If you run a high volume firearms sales business, I can understand why the ATF stops by.

Forgive my own personal ignorance, but does the ATF have ANY regulatory authority/jurisdiction over things happening on a gun range(with no gun store attached)?

I'm sure Renegade or Bithabus would know.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    San Angelo Gun Club Range Officers and Board Members will ask, as will local LE, if they see it at the SAGC. Usually it goes "...badge or tax stamp? And what is that, and what do you think of it..."

If you don't respond with either, or pop an attitude, you get to leave. It is a liability issue, nothing personal. And this is coming from a guy with belt fed crap and a lot of exotics ;)

Alex

Top Bottom