• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Warning shots are strictly forbidden unless authorized by someone with proper authority. But as far as my training went-warning shits-huge No-No and I still stick by that same rule. If I'm not shooting at a body to absorb the bullet, and I'm not shooting at a berm, then there is no way I would allow the trigger to be pulled and just hope I don't hit an innocent bystander or damage someone's property.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    I think that this discussion points out a couple of things.
    1) the justification to use deadly force is a matter of judgement, and probably will require you to explain your decision process to authorities
    2) you will want to not have any more issues in the discussion than absolutely necessary (e.g. A weapon that needs justification, target trigger, caliber that is excessive)
    3) important to not make statements contrary to the law in public forums or to friends (we shoot to stop, not kill)
    4) if you want to brag do on something other than mis-use of force
    5) do not volunteer information to 911 operators or the police at the scene, do not lie
    6) provide first aid after the threat is removed.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    lol White said after a show someone came up to him and was ranting that in Texas you could not shoot someone in the back, no matter what. White just told the guy, "well, you can start shooting him in the leg till he turns around, cause eventually he will get curious and turn around..."

lol... I love that guy.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I think that this discussion points out a couple of things.

2) you will want to not have any more issues in the discussion than absolutely necessary (e.g. A weapon that needs justification, target trigger, caliber that is excessive)

6) provide first aid after the threat is removed.

Where did you get this?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    that's about as dumb as some of the self-defense instructors out here telling everyone that the first chambered round should be a blank. if i draw, that means i intend to use it. if i want to scare someone off, i will call my neighbor. she weighs 300 pounds and talks like Chef's mother. besides, my 1911 makes big holes. holes capable of removing limbs or severing arteries. a 'wound' can be just as fatal as a controlled pair to the thoracic cavity, they just expire slower and my wall gets painted.

isn't it unethical to induce suffering anyway?

Your 1911 will remove limbs?

What caliber is it?

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    y3Yxr.gif
    +1 for Psyche reference.

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    But, in all seriousness. You shoot to stop, you don't shoot to kill. If the Badguy/Badgirl is no longer a threat, you have no ​​​LEGAL​​​ right to keep on shooting him/her. That whole "IMMA KILL 'DAT SON O' BITCH' crap gets old fast. Again, like txinvestigator said; that mentality will get you in jail.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    IF you want to do first aid on a gun shot wound, apply direct pressure to the wound with a shirt or something similar. Replace as the cloth is soaked in blood. If there's a sucking lung wound, cover it with a drivers license or credit card.

That's pretty much the basics. There's more but I'm not certified anymore so I'm not gonna go into it.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    That will end you up in prison

Obviously blasting someone on the ground in the back or any other execution stuff is a one way ticket to prison. Shoot til the threat is stopped, etc. etc.

So what is the requirement on contacting the police say the guy was still moving and/or I'm just terrified and peeing myself because I don't know if more people are coming and I didn't want to turn my back to reach a phone for a period of time that happened to coincide with the time it took for his blood pressure to drop a little lower than it should be?

Basically what are the rules surrounding seeking aide for the pile of garbage that's staining your carpet?

Also, Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in controversial warning shot case - CNN.com

Totally agree, warning shots are stupid, if you didn't feel threatened enough to shoot threat you didn't feel threatened enough to shoot.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Warning shot? If anyone posing a danger to my family survives my first shot, then they should let that serve as a warning. If, at that point, they stop being a threat then I'm perfectly willing to let them lie comfortably on the floor, face down with their hands on the back of their head while we wait for the police and paramedics...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IF you want to do first aid on a gun shot wound, apply direct pressure to the wound with a shirt or something similar. Replace as the cloth is soaked in blood. If there's a sucking lung wound, cover it with a drivers license or credit card.

That's pretty much the basics. There's more but I'm not certified anymore so I'm not gonna go into it.

You're trying to stop the bleeding, not soak up all the blood.

The way the military is apparently doing it these days is tourniquet (for extremities), pressure bandage, package and ship.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    You're trying to stop the bleeding, not soak up all the blood.

The way the military is apparently doing it these days is tourniquet (for extremities), pressure bandage, package and ship.

I figure its easier to stop bleeding with a dry rag than it is a wet one. But, luckily, I haven't had to be in the situation before so its only speculation mixed with whatever they tried beating in my head.

I don't have what I consider "formal and current" tornequette training so I don't even touch that aspect of things. If the situation came up, I would probably try to control the bleeding without one first, as they can be pretty painful and damaging if left on there long enough. I wouldn't want to apply one unless it was a last resort measure. But I don't mean that as any sort of advice to anyone. That's just my comfort zone from what little medical training I remember.

This is my shotgun. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I figure its easier to stop bleeding with a dry rag than it is a wet one. But, luckily, I haven't had to be in the situation before so its only speculation mixed with whatever they tried beating in my head.

I don't have what I consider "formal and current" tornequette training so I don't even touch that aspect of things. If the situation came up, I would probably try to control the bleeding without one first, as they can be pretty painful and damaging if left on there long enough. I wouldn't want to apply one unless it was a last resort measure. But I don't mean that as any sort of advice to anyone. That's just my comfort zone from what little medical training I remember.

This is my shotgun. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Current training is go right to a turniquet with severe bleeding. Lessons learned in Iraq and Afghanistan.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Current training is go right to a turniquet with severe bleeding. Lessons learned in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What gets done in a combat zone where you will likely bleed out before you can get medivac'd is different than here state side where you can get tossed in an ambulance and taken to the local ER in about a tenth of the time. Torniquetes are used as a last resort because of the good chance that you will lose everything below where the tourniquet is applied. When i got my EMT certs we went over them and were told not to use one unless the person would bleed to death from a complete amputation prior to arriving at the ER.

Once it gets put on it can not be taken off until the bleeding can be stopped to the point that the patient will not start bleeding again once it is removed and if it is in place for longer than a hour there is a very good chance that the area below it will have to be removed.

In the military it is used so that the person can get back into the fight and help defend the position until the medivac can arrive.

bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    I fired one warning shot 43 years ago and it was my P-38 9mm against many 22 rifles that I knew of as they were going down the road in a pickup shooting at anything that moved. I was parked off the road and they came by and slowed down and then went a little ways up the road and turned around and came back and blocked my escape. I was on target and had 9 rounds to work with and fired once in the air to let them know that I was there to fight and maybe had a bigger gun at the time. At any rate it worked for me and I did not have to fire any more rounds. The truck went left and I went right to never return to that area again. We are all alive to tell the story, which is a good thing. I am quite sure that the time frame of occurrence had a lot to do with the final outcome of this situation. We were probably all young and wanted to just live. I know that was what was important to me at the time as I was in true fear for our lives.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What gets done in a combat zone where you will likely bleed out before you can get medivac'd is different than here state side where you can get tossed in an ambulance and taken to the local ER in about a tenth of the time. Torniquetes are used as a last resort because of the good chance that you will lose everything below where the tourniquet is applied. When i got my EMT certs we went over them and were told not to use one unless the person would bleed to death from a complete amputation prior to arriving at the ER.

Once it gets put on it can not be taken off until the bleeding can be stopped to the point that the patient will not start bleeding again once it is removed and if it is in place for longer than a hour there is a very good chance that the area below it will have to be removed.

In the military it is used so that the person can get back into the fight and help defend the position until the medivac can arrive.

I received trauma training in the last year. Your theories are out of date. And some of your points, like getting back in the fight, are incorrect altogether.

Top Bottom