• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • @TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    yes we know. we have a short finger.
    My father was a contractor. BUT, he lost the first joint of his little finger to a V-belt on a seed cleaner. Starter capacitor was out, he grabbed the belt and pulled to start the motor. Not sure how many times he did it. But it bit him.

Lots of occupations have risks. Some much more than others.

Best regards, Dave
    Target Sports

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Something I should've learned long ago: never cheap out on PPE and other things specifically designed to save your life and prevent permanent injury.

If it was a table saw, there are kits to install "Saw Stop" units that stop the blade instantly when it detects your finger coming in contact with it. There were youtube videos of a presentation where a guy actually sticks his finger into a spinning table saw. Had a tiny scuff that didn't even get red.

Action starts at about 30 seconds: blade gets destroyed and the saw stop mech needs to be changed out with a new cartridge. But the hot dog tells the tale: probably not even broken skin on a calloused hand.

Not affiliated nor do I get a commission. But would you guys spend $100 to save your digits from danger? I know I would.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Dang - hope he does ok. My brother in law hacked off the end of his index finger about a year ago. He's full time construction, and was a great guitar player. This whole thread reminds me of gun safety - just takes a second of not paying attention, and the consequences are horrific.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Another tool worthy of respect: when the Hole Hawg using a Forstener bit meet a framing nail....

Attachments

• hole hawg.jpg
      hole hawg.jpg
      93 KB · Views: 29

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I had never used a table saw until just the other year. Then I switched departments and use one daily now. We do have the SawStop brand.

Those things are $100-$150 when they are activated, thankfully it doesn’t happen very often. Sometimes a small nail or wet wood can activate them as well.

America#1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    DFW
    OUCH!!! Man...I hate it for him and the rest of those who have been injured on a saw. Bad things happen from time to time when working or playing with potentially dangerous stuff.

Those table saws with skin sensing technology are amazing. Maybe someday all saws will be sold with this technology.
    You can skip to 2:30 to get to the best part.

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    We had a couple of incidents in HS wood-shop in the late 60's. First one was an guy running his fingers over a jointer table. These things are essentially vibration free and take some time to stop after being switched off. He went thru the guard and the next thing you know, there is blood everywhere. He didn't even realize anything happened until someone pointed out that his hand was bleeding. Took about half an inch of all 4 fingers and paper thin slices were in the chip box. Last was a guy that broke his neck using a lathe. Hippy SOB was wearing a very thick piece of leather as a neckless. Somehow, it fell out of his shop apron and got caught up in the piece he was working on. Bye-bye. I remember the shop teacher never came back after that one.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I hope that your cousin's son heals well and quickly.
    Construction offers alot of different opportunities for disaster. I knew a guy named Carl. Carl worked for his Dad's plumbing shop in Everett Washington in the 60's. Back then, plumbers used alot of lead for joining connections. One day Carl was told to lower a large box of lead ingots from the loft in an old barn. The wooden box was on the edge of the loft floor about 18 feet above the dirt floor of the barn. Carl grabbed the hook from the hoist that was positioned on a beam in the center of the barn open area and hooked it to the straps on the box. He then went back down the stairs to grab the end rope that was lying on the floor. Carl grabbed the rope and yelled for a fellow worker to slide the box off the upper floor into the open space. When the box was shoved over the edge of the upper floor Carl held fast to the rope. The box of lead ingots was heavier than Carl. It came down and Carl went up. He met it at the halfway point and it hit Carl at an angle that broke his right clavicle and 2 ribs. He held on tight. The box continued down until it hit the floor about the same time that Carl's head made hard contact with the overhead beam. The box broke open when it hit the floor and lost the lead. The box was now lighter than Carl. Carl was now heading back toward the floor and again met the broken up box on the way down, receiving cuts on his arm and cheek as the sharp splinters raked past him. Carl crashed painfully on the spilled out sharp pile of lead ingots which caused him to let go of the rope. The splintered box was now free and came crashing down on Carl's head causing several more cuts and contusions. A few days later, Carl was working on a dairy farm and peed on an electric fence. Carl's dad didn't allow Carl to use power tools. I hear that Carl eventually went to college and became a High School physics teacher.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I hope that your cousin's son heals well and quickly.
    Construction offers alot of different opportunities for disaster. I knew a guy named Carl. Carl worked for his Dad's plumbing shop in Everett Washington in the 60's. Back then, plumbers used alot of lead for joining connections. One day Carl was told to lower a large box of lead ingots from the loft in an old barn. The wooden box was on the edge of the loft floor about 18 feet above the dirt floor of the barn. Carl grabbed the hook from the hoist that was positioned on a beam in the center of the barn open area and hooked it to the straps on the box. He then went back down the stairs to grab the end rope that was lying on the floor. Carl grabbed the rope and yelled for a fellow worker to slide the box off the upper floor into the open space. When the box was shoved over the edge of the upper floor Carl held fast to the rope. The box of lead ingots was heavier than Carl. It came down and Carl went up. He met it at the halfway point and it hit Carl at an angle that broke his right clavicle and 2 ribs. He held on tight. The box continued down until it hit the floor about the same time that Carl's head made hard contact with the overhead beam. The box broke open when it hit the floor and lost the lead. The box was now lighter than Carl. Carl was now heading back toward the floor and again met the broken up box on the way down, receiving cuts on his arm and cheek as the sharp splinters raked past him. Carl crashed painfully on the spilled out sharp pile of lead ingots which caused him to let go of the rope. The splintered box was now free and came crashing down on Carl's head causing several more cuts and contusions. A few days later, Carl was working on a dairy farm and peed on an electric fence. Carl's dad didn't allow Carl to use power tools. I hear that Carl eventually went to college and became a High School physics teacher.
    Are you sure that wasn't Wile E Coyote

Top Bottom