• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Is there anyone out there who has done some customizing/building on a Springfield Armory 1911?

Ideally, I'd like to purchase my parts from Brownell's, then drop them into the gun. The more I read, the more I find that there may or may not be extensive filing to get a perfect fit.

The purpose for my wanting to customize is twofold: I really want to learn basic gunsmithing and would like to modify the gun to my needs. Plus I think any shooter should know the inner workings of all his/her firearms.

I would like to intall an ambi-safety. I see it as very functional since I practice drawing and shooting with both hands. I like the feel of an extended beavertail, which improves my grip feel. I most likely will change out the sights for quicker target acquisition. While an upgraded hammer and trigger would look great, I don't see these modifications as improving my ability to use the weapon. I don't have any issues with the current trigger pull or accuracy.

I understand that the more accurate you make the gun, the less reliable it can be due to lower tolerances between the moving parts. Hence my desire to do minimal, function changes.

Anyone wisdom would be great, especially if it involved a Springfield 1911.
    Gun Zone Deals

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Is there anyone out there who has done some customizing/building on a Springfield Armory 1911?

Ideally, I'd like to purchase my parts from Brownell's, then drop them into the gun. The more I read, the more I find that there may or may not be extensive filing to get a perfect fit.

The purpose for my wanting to customize is twofold: I really want to learn basic gunsmithing and would like to modify the gun to my needs. Plus I think any shooter should know the inner workings of all his/her firearms.

I would like to intall an ambi-safety. I see it as very functional since I practice drawing and shooting with both hands. I like the feel of an extended beavertail, which improves my grip feel. I most likely will change out the sights for quicker target acquisition. While an upgraded hammer and trigger would look great, I don't see these modifications as improving my ability to use the weapon. I don't have any issues with the current trigger pull or accuracy.

I understand that the more accurate you make the gun, the less reliable it can be due to lower tolerances between the moving parts. Hence my desire to do minimal, function changes.

Anyone wisdom would be great, especially if it involved a Springfield 1911.

I installed my own on my RIA just recently and got the part from MidwayUSA and it fits beautifully... The only thing to remember is that you need a different grip for the right side of the gun or dremel out your existing grip...

My gun guy at McBrides would beg to differ... He likes the philosophy that a man should be allowed either a dremel or a gun, not both... I love both...

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Thanks for the information TX Teacher. Did you have to do much fitting with your part from Midwayusa? Who was the manufacturer of the part? Thanks for humoring me. I detail stripped the entire gun tonight, learned much about how the 1911 really works!

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Did mods on my Springfield Ultra Compact two or three years ago....Am a lefty and like an ambidextrous safety and ambi magazine release. As I recall I ordered the safety from Midway and the ambi magazine release from a local gunsmith. The safety was easy enough and I did not have to do any fitting nor filing.
    The mag release which cost a hundred bucks and looks the same and works the same on both sides of the pistol required a dremel tool and the tiny steel cutting tool they provided plus the instructions. With the old mag release removed a small, shallow groove was cut on the forward inside the hole on the right side.

It all worked out well and I have been shooting that short 1911 a good while .... Hope yours is as easy id you mod it....

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Thanks for the information TX Teacher. Did you have to do much fitting with your part from Midwayusa? Who was the manufacturer of the part? Thanks for humoring me. I detail stripped the entire gun tonight, learned much about how the 1911 really works!

I agree taking it apart and learning about the 1911 really gives you an appreciation for how it works and what parts you can order and which ones you can't.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Here is an interesting article for DIY gunsmiths on ambi safeties:

Fitting an Ambi Safety

For as short as this article is, it does a good job in giving me an idea of potential filing/smithing that may be needed. Thanks London!

I'm getting to the point where it may be better just to buy back up parts from Springfield and forget changing out the parts that make it a more personalized and functional weapon for me.

DoubleOBar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lower Rio Grande Valley
    I have installed three ambi-safeties on 1911 pistols and it is not a hard job. I coat the engaging surfaces of the safety with Dy-Kem and try and engage the safety. The Dy-Kem will be removed at the bearing point. I polish where the Dy-Kem have been removed with a little Cratex wheel on the Dremel, recoat and try again. I do this until the safety will full engage and then stop.

You can do this with the mainspring housing and mainspring out of the gun. You just have to depress the grip safety and put forward pressure on the hammer while holding the trigger back. You can put a rubber band or tape on the grip safety to hold it down if you run out of hands.

These ambi-safetys come in different price ranges. The lower priced ones are cast parts and require more fitting. Be certain and check the joint where the two sides come together to make certain they are fully engaged. On the cheap ones this also will require a little attention. A little judicious filing and polishing will "get er done".

If this is the first time, get one of the cheap cast ones from Brownells. If for some reason you screw up, you don't loose a high dollar part. It would still be cheaper to ruin one and buy another than paying a gunsmith to do the installation. But I have never had any problems with the installation. Like gun work in general "pre think" what you are doing and take your time. It is easy to remove metal, but impossible to put it back.

Best of luck...

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    ... Like gun work in general "pre think" what you are doing and take your time. It is easy to remove metal, but impossible to put it back.

Best of luck...

It's funny that you mentioned pre-thinking. I only engage in mechanical work (including firearm stuff) after rolling it over and over in my mind before tearing into the project. I'll check out your technique with Dy-Kem. Would you consider a Wilson or Les Baer Ambi Safety from Brownells "cheaper" parts?

DoubleOBar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lower Rio Grande Valley
    I consider the Mueschke to be the cheapter part. They run $31 to $38 depending on the style. They are cast parts and fairly rough in finish, but they work.

The high end is the Brown Tactical. This one is narrow enough for a carry pistol, while the others stick out to far for my tastes. The Brown Tactical ambi runs $60 to $64 depending on whether you want blue or SS.

Top Bottom