• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It’s not cheap, but damn its taste. I not a regular root beer drinker, I guess growing up when A&W Root Beer stands served it up in a frosty mugs made bringing it from a can just didn’t work for me. The first swig and I was taken back to a frosty mug. It would make a killer Root Beer Float.

They make a Cream Soda also. And again not something I have drank in years. One of the ladies I worked with at the renfest brought them in as her personal stash. I was never one to help myself to a coworkers private drinks.

This flash back of soda from the past got me thinking about Orange Crush and the other Crush flavors. Growing up we drank a lot of Canfield’s sodas. I guess that was a regional product.

When I first moved to Texas there was no Squirt soda. I liked it just to drink and especially with Gin or Vodka. My parents drove down once and half of the trunk of my dad’s Buick were this I missed from up yonder. Skirt, Rays Chili, and Bosco Chocolate Syrup. Still think about Rays Chili, online the price of a case made me adopt Hormel chili. Ray’s had a nice cap of orange grease on top.

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Neighbors brought over some of Vigil’s root beer couple months back and we made root beer floats for an after dinner dessert. You are correct. Extremely tasty and better than the A&W. You gotta give it a try.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Vigils is one of my favorites.

Bundaberg is really good too

And Sprecher has a killer cream soda

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    bfc4324428ffdd96fad9407b0a28d1b8.jpg
    11cf3b9646578822680adad731926b54.jpg

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I will only drink Diet/Zero Sugar sodas. Years past, the diet versions could be straight up nasty. Zero Sugar variants of late rival their sugar laden counterparts.
    Zero Sugar A&W is regularly in our pantry. Zero Sugar Squirt is a little harder to find but is excellent. The Kroger Squirt knock off is also really good. It has a pink grapefruit tint https://www.kroger.com/p/big-k-grapefruit-citrus-zero-sugar-caffeine-free-soda-cans/0001111013384. One of my favorite root beers used to be Diet Frostie's (Splenda) out of Detroit. The last time I bought it they were skunky. Canfield's has a Chocolate Fudge soda that is pretty good when it's super cold. Tastes like carbonated Tootsie Rolls. Sprecher is a go to when we are back up North. It isn't sugar free but they have a lo-cal root beer that is pretty good. I like to buy mine from Blain's Farm and Fleet.

Sioux City had a great Diet Sarsaparilla but I haven't seen it in years.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Regional thing, I liked Pepsi living in the Northeast, moved to TX and I found Coke was prevalent. Now with the Sodastream you can buy different syrups, Pepsi is back for me. A&W was good, remember the kid size mug?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Frosty in a bottle, chilled until it is just starting to freeze. Nothing better when working in a 110 F shop.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Regional thing, I liked Pepsi living in the Northeast, moved to TX and I found Coke was prevalent. Now with the Sodastream you can buy different syrups, Pepsi is back for me. A&W was good, remember the kid size mug?
    Pepsi was the mainstay of my family growing up. And you got a glass of it with a meal, if you hogged it down you didn’t get any more.

I start drinking Coke instead of coffee in the morning as that’s what many of the coworkers did. Coffee got cold real quick in the cutting room. Yeah we had drinks in the cutting room, and smoked too first thing in the morning. Setting up the fish case involved a cigarette also. Earning decent money I started smoking Dunhill menthols.

On trip back home my family figure out they best have Coke & Crown Royal for me to t drink as I had change. No more Pepsi or I’d leave. Then after Africa it was gin & tonic with limes.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I grew up with R/C my dad was a fan.
    Mom and dad divorced when I was 7 so pretty much the R/C went away unless we went hunting or camping. Later in life it was Dr Pepper and 7up.
    Now it's 90% iced tea

Top Bottom