Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Saw these and figured I would post em for any interested parties.:

Austin Recruit Military Veteran Opportunity Expo

Event Details:
    Frank C. Erwin Jr. Events Center
    Austin, TX 78701
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010
    11 am to 3 pm (stay as long as you need)

Houston Recruit Military Veteran Opportunity Expo

Event Details:
    Minute Maid Park
    Houston, TX 77002
    Thursday, February 25, 2010
    11 am to 3 pm (stay as long as you need)

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Marching past, straight through to Hell
    The Infantry are seen.
    Accompanied by the Engineers,
    Artillery and Marines,
    For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
    Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
    To seek a warmer scene.
    No trooper ever gets to Hell
    Ere he's emptied his canteen.
    And so rides back to drink again
    With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
    Beneath a saber keen,
    Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
    You stop a bullet clean,
    And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
    Just empty your canteen,
    And go to Fiddlers' Green.

Had to finish your Signature.

Stay forward in the saddle, keep you powder dry and when in doubt draw sabres troop.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've been to most of the vet job fairs here in Austin over the past 3 years. If you don't have a 4 year degree or higher, it's a pretty big freaking waste of time. Maybe the one in Houston is better?

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I've been to most of the vet job fairs here in Austin over the past 3 years. If you don't have a 4 year degree or higher, it's a pretty big freaking waste of time. Maybe the one in Houston is better?

Not sure bud, I am new to the state. But perhaps like most recent vets, I find myself stuck in a very boring job, that I just cannot get seem to put my heart into. Trying to see what else is out there. Especially in the new city/state.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    I've been to more Vet jobs fairs than I care to admit. To me, they were a total waste of time. Most of the time they'll simply take your resume, smile and say thank you and tell you to apply online. You'll never talk to a decision maker at one of those things. I tried to get on with Grocer's Supply and the idiot that I talked to couldn't see how my background would help the company.

I lead a support platoon and even moved nukes. Somehow, moving high explosives, fuel and ammunition is not as complicated as moving frozen shrimp. I walked away from every job fair, disallusioned and disgusted. Sometimes you might get lucky, but I think the key is to keep your expectations low. Remember, the average civilian hasn't a clue about what we did in the military, it's up to you to sell yourself and often, it's a tough sell.

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I don't know if you guys have tried, but go to your local texas workforce center and speak with a veterans rep. If you need to locate one you can go to www.tvc.state.tx.us. They will set you up with a workintexas.com account, and that will afford you job searches that include some with veteran's preference. If any of you are in Fort Worth you can PM me and I'll get you a guys name and number.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Ive tryed worksource it was a joke everyone of their "vet friendly companies" would state that they have met their quota and didnt need to hire any more vets. But they would tell my to apply online which i did but to no avail.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    Yep, a great deal of these places talk a good game about supporting vets, but I think the truth is really otherwise. Many civilians are intimidated by Veterans because of the plain manner of speaking and the "Can Do" attitude. I had a miserable experience working for an HR Company as a recruiter. However, now, I work for a boss who is a Vet himself and I couldn't be happier. You have to do your homework on these places. Networking is key, job fairs, a waste of time.

Top Bottom