• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That is the point that needs to be understood. Knowing what you can or cannot do under the conditions, and driving the car within those boundaries, is what keeps you in control. There are always things you cannot do with your vehicle because it would exceed the available limits.

You really outline the problem with most people's "driving" here:

Q: Could you have executed a right turn?
    A: Well, you normally wouldn't make right turns on a freeway overpass, at any speed, in any conditions. So I guess no. Playing to your (I think) intended question of 'can you make a right turn on black ice?' The answer is ... maybe? Each condition is different, and you have to read that as best you can. Can you put a couple wheels on something not black ice? Then yes. Is the black ice able to offer more traction (via sand, tire siping/studding, etc.) than the effects of the sum of other acting forces (gravity, velocity, wind, impacts, etc.)? Then also yes.

Q: Made an emergency lane change?
    A: If I don't have my head up my ass, I can nearly eliminate most need to make an emergency lane change while on a slippery overpass. If I use a little common sense, if the need does arise I've thought far enough ahead that it won't impact others around me. That's another huge point that I really want people to grasp. Drive with purpose, especially in inclement conditions. If I "know" an overpass is going to be incredibly slick, my thoughts have very little to with that portion of the roadway. I'm focused on the point past it where I can rely on more traction. I will, very far in advance of that stretch, make sure I do everything in my power to avoid the need to make any adjustments, especially an emergency lane change. So in the mile leading up to the overpass, I'm working to be ahead of any pack of cars, traveling the same speed if not a mph faster, and alone as I go across. It's a lot like a stunt driver jumping school busses. While they are in the air, they cannot significantly alter the course of the vehicle. But in the moments PRIOR, they did everything necessary to keep the vehicle under control. When you learn high performance driving, they instill a similar notion of looking to where you're going, not where you are. If you're looking at the corner you're in, it's simply too late. If you're focusing on the slippery overpass you're already on, it's too late to do anything about it.

Q: Made an emergency stop?
    A: Now we're getting closer to the problem. Remember a few posts back when I was talking about driving as a system, rather than a number of individuals doing their own thing? The better question to ask yourself is "will my actions negatively impact others?" This becomes dramatically more relevant as conditions worsen. When it's dry and you slow down the people behind you, it might be a little rude but otherwise not usually too unsafe. In bad conditions, even one person slowing down has the potential to cause a chain reaction that ultimately results in a collision. You didn't mean to do it, you didn't directly do it, but the end result was caused by your action nonetheless. There's usually more than one overpass on a freeway, right? So if you slow down, so does the person behind you, and so on. If the nice, safe distance people are maintaining starts to erode (reaction times alone will cause this, not to mention the other impacts in slippery weather), and eventually someone farther back runs out of space while on an overpass themselves, well physics dictate two cars can't occupy the same space at the same time. Slowing down is fine, as long as it is safe for everyone to do so. But if there's a column of cars, trucks, 18 wheelers somewhat close behind you? Slowing down shortly before that overpass could quite literally kill someone.

Yeah, now I know some of y'all will go off the deep end and be all like "ERMAGERD !! HE'SH SHAYING WE CANNTT SLERR DERN ON DA FREEEWAYSSS WEN THURRS BLUCK EYEZZZ !!!" Congratulations, you can't find the point at the end of a needle. You can obviously slow down, gracefully and gradually where it is safe to do so, at a rate that considers the others on the road. Hell, if we could get people to do that one thing - consider others - accident rates would plummet and traffic would flow so much better. You want to approach at the speed you feel comfortable, and you want to time that speed adjustment where it considers those behind you. Do you think the 18 wheeler a quarter mile back can drop 10 mph as quickly as you can right when you approach that overpass? The car between you and him likely can, but you could inadvertently put that dude in a pretty bad spot. So you gradually drop 10 mph without using the brakes, well in advance. Most everyone would have no problem coasting down at the same rate when the roads are slick.

I get it, nobody that's your typical point a to b type driver will ever take any of this and think about how it works. They just want to feel right, feel they're awesome behind the wheel, and feel they're the safest person on the road. Those same people are often the ones who hit the brakes when they feel the tires slip on the overpass, and call their insurance company a few minutes later. I wish everyone could get some wheel time in a skid car. A car outfitted with swivel casters more or less, designed to be able to lift the car off the regular tires as to remove as much traction as the instructor desires. You'd learn so much and a little "aha!" light would go off.
    Black ice doesn't only exist on overpasses. Not sure why that assumption is being made.

But in getting into the weeds, you have entirely missed the point. By a long shot.

Bottom line, for the last time, you may be at the controls but you ain't IN control on black ice.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Grew up driving on black ice and crappy snow. Was "essential personnel" for years. Went out for the first time today. Damn glad to be RETIRED!

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Should we have a thread with bikini girls to take our minds off this subject?
    5a4cf74ec91b8c7d7e5eb847ec671779.jpg

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    With the great Texas Freeze of 2021 almost behind us, anyone have lessons learned from this painful week?

I have a couple:

1. Totally screwed up and forgot to stock up on diesel anti-gel. My Diesel pickup went down and took me a day to get it running when I finally located some anti gel (used Sea Foam). I generally keep some Power Service (white bottle) on hand to put in the tank when temps drop but forgot to restock my stash. I won’t be in this situation again

2. With my truck down, I was relegated to driving my daughters 2018 Subaru Forrester. I had never driven a Subaru in the snow. I took that buggy through the deepest snow I could find (8-10” drifts) and it never missed a beat and barely spun a tire!

I grew up driving Jeep’s in New Hampshire. I’ve lived in Alaska and Montana for over 15 years between the two. I’ve owned Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Isuzu, and Ford 4X4’s. That little Subaru with basic all season radials is as good as any of them in deep snow, I swear!

Thinking hard about replacing my wife’s Accord with a new Subaru this summer.

I’ve had 2 Subarus. Fun driving and yeah great in snow. Maintenance nightmare though. Both needed head gaskets at 80k. AC went out on one. Radiator on the other. Both needed wheel bearings before 100k. Those run about $400 a wheel. There were other things but that’s just what I remember off the top of my head.

I tend to put a lot of miles on cars before giving up on them. These went early. Seems like you are waiting on “what next?”

Got a RAV 4 with AWD now. Not as fun to drive but did just fine in the snow and ice. Probably get 200k out of it easy.

Just a heads up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I didn’t drive my MR2 a single day it was freezing. I realized Sunday after the cold came I left my map light on and put the car on the trickle charger for a day and a half. Started up fine today.

I did drive the wife’s Subaru Impreza wagon on Valentine’s Day to H‑E‑B. It didn’t slip or act any different.

It’s hard to believe it froze here in Corpus for more than a few minutes.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My lawn tractor batteries usually last 3 years before I have to replace them. I guess I got a good one this time. It's 5 years old and has been sitting in the shed idle since October. I fully expected to have to jump it or charge it before starting the mower. Surprised the hell out of me when it cranked strong and fired the machine right up yesterday.

I hooked up the trailer to the lawn tractor so I can haul the bags of trash to the street Thursday. We have 3 weeks worth of garbage saved up, heh.

HarryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Annetta, TX
    With the great Texas Freeze of 2021 almost behind us, anyone have lessons learned from this painful week?

I have a couple:

1. Totally screwed up and forgot to stock up on diesel anti-gel. My Diesel pickup went down and took me a day to get it running when I finally located some anti gel (used Sea Foam). I generally keep some Power Service (white bottle) on hand to put in the tank when temps drop but forgot to restock my stash. I won’t be in this situation again

2. With my truck down, I was relegated to driving my daughters 2018 Subaru Forrester. I had never driven a Subaru in the snow. I took that buggy through the deepest snow I could find (8-10” drifts) and it never missed a beat and barely spun a tire!

I grew up driving Jeep’s in New Hampshire. I’ve lived in Alaska and Montana for over 15 years between the two. I’ve owned Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Isuzu, and Ford 4X4’s. That little Subaru with basic all season radials is as good as any of them in deep snow, I swear!

I have a couple:

I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. I’ve driven it in 2 feet of snow at Mammoth Mountain, CA, so I knew it would handle 8” of snow in North Texas last week. The thing that surprised me was my wife’s 2014 Subaru Impreza also performed well in the snow, despite lower ground clearance. Great cars!

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. I’ve driven it in 2 feet of snow at Mammoth Mountain, CA, so I knew it would handle 8” of snow in North Texas last week. The thing that surprised me was my wife’s 2014 Subaru Impreza also performed well in the snow, despite lower ground clearance. Great cars!

You don’t have stickers on them, do ya? I hear Subaru’s grow stickers like a toad grows warts...

:roflfunny::laughing:

Just kidding! It was mentioned way early in this thread...took me by surprise...

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I’ve had 2 Subarus. Fun driving and yeah great in snow. Maintenance nightmare though. Both needed head gaskets at 80k. AC went out on one. Radiator on the other. Both needed wheel bearings before 100k. Those run about $400 a wheel. There were other things but that’s just what I remember off the top of my head.

I tend to put a lot of miles on cars before giving up on them. These went early. Seems like you are waiting on “what next?”

Got a RAV 4 with AWD now. Not as fun to drive but did just fine in the snow and ice. Probably get 200k out of it easy.

Just a heads up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wrench on all my own stuff. My 2004 Land Rover is as reliable a vehicle as can be had. Our Subaru is great too, but does seem to need more love. In fact I am doing a driver side front CV/axle tomorrow. Being able buy less expensive vehicles and wrench on it instead of having a payment saves us beaucoup moolah.

Did heads on my brothers Suburu Forester last week. It was a big job with a lot of parts, but really isn't too bad.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I miss working on cars. Just not physically able to anymore and all the youngsters dont like taking directions so.........I dont keep cars out of warranty. Infact I will only lease them for now on.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown

I have a couple:

CANNOT BEAT A SUBARU, in any kind of slippery conditions!

Top Bottom