• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bishop73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Hello all, I took in an AK for trade and I'm not sure what its worth. I know it's an Egyptian model with a composite stock. The paint on it shows some wear but it's not too bad. I'm in the market for a hunting rifle and I need too sell or trade the AK.

If anyone can give me a rough estimate on its worth I'd greatly appreciate it. I can get pics up after work.
    Lynx Defense

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If it's a Maadi AK(egyptian) it could be worth $300-800 depending on it's age and condition. If it is assembled from surplus military parts, it's probably on the low end of the spectrum. If it was an factory complete gun with a good bore it will be on the higher end. Post up some pics when you get a chance. The tough part about selling an AK is that their value has plummeted this year because of all of the cheap Romanian ones flooding into the US market. They can be had brand new for as little as $329.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You'd be better off selling it privately than trading it in. This will help you know a little more about it.

That said, post pics and a starting price. Also, where are you located?

Cheers! M2

Bishop73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Thanks for the info, I'm hoping it's worth more than a few hundred. I'm in New Braunfels, haven't made a new guy post yet. :(
    Here are a couple pics:

2010-10-25_17-05-23_227.gif

2010-10-25_17-05-33_116.gif

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought a Maadi about 7 years ago and have listened to trash talk about it since then. The Egyptians aren't the most popular AK's because their machined parts are not pretty and the paint finish isn't spectacular either. If you bought it for resale, it's going to be tough to sell in a market that is soft anyway. I didn't give a lot for mine but it's about my favorite AK. Mine has a laminated stock and I really enjoy it. My rifle is not for sale.

Give it a chance because it's a real fun rifle to shoot. Mine has typical AK accuracy which isn't stellar but it has never malfunctioned.....ever.

The guys are right about prices falling recently the market is pretty soft right now. A thought.........Keep it and enjoy it until the market shapes up.

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Agreed, you are better off keeping it as unless it has wooden furniture and is in very good condition, you aren't likely to get what you want for it. Maadis aren't bad AKs, but as Roger4314 stated they aren't the most popular ones either. Most people either go for cheap (WASR-10), for "tank solid" with a Yugo M70 (my favorites) or "top end" (Arsenal Russians, probably the best production AKs out there). After that we get into the custom built jobs like the Jim Fullers which are well over a grand.

At most you might be able to get $350-400 for it, but there just isn't much of a market for them right now. If anything, I would try carrying it around one of the larger gun shows and hope someone has the desire (and cash) for one!

Cheers! M2

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Have you tried putting some quality ammo through it to see how tight of a group you can get on it? It ought to be able to maintain 3-4in groups and if it does I say scope it and go hunting. 7.62x39 should be good for anything in TX.

Bishop73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Have you tried putting some quality ammo through it to see how tight of a group you can get on it? It ought to be able to maintain 3-4in groups and if it does I say scope it and go hunting. 7.62x39 should be good for anything in TX.

I haven't yet, might do that this weekend.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Your looking at about $400-450 in todays market, 279 is way to low for it. The maadi aks where made with Russian tooling given to the Egyptians. Being an ARM it should have a threaded muzzle witch is nice. The finish may be lacking but it is a nice ak. If you have the original wood you could easily get 450 - 500 for it. If you want to sell for 300 though give me a call ;)

Bishop73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Thanks for the info goodfellas. I took it in trade for about $600 a little over two years ago. I didn't think it was still worth that (if it ever was). I've got some things I need to do to my Chevelle, I may try to sell the gun to fund that.

Top Bottom