• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Or a pillow case with some door knobs or softballs.
    Most of these guys are too young to remember those old doorknobs! Even a rock in a sock beat nothing. Ask Hank Jr!

A bar of soap in a sock can also put a serious whooping on a person.

Another great equalizer. One of those old stainless steel car antennas from years ago. About 18" to 20" long. Those can also be very useful for people or dogs.
    DK Firearms

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Sorry, but this guy was far from out of options, had he chosen to act.

I never said he didn't have options. Options abound in most situations. My original statement was about firing a gun close to a semi exposed gas nozzle, not about other options. It appeared to me that the guy at the truck, had he chosen to act, would have had to turn his back on, or at least break eye contact with, the goings on in order to move from his position if he deployed a pistol of some kind. There may have been quite a bit more room for movement than I remember seeing, he just appeared to be in a boxed position to me . Maybe it's just me but, I don't want to be firing a gun anywhere near a gas station, regardless of position.

Yes p/u guy should have done something. Pretty much anything. But what?

Edit:
    Please note that some of my mental observations of this situation are biased due to my physical limitations. Some of this might have a bit of "How would i..."

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Actually NOT including a baseball bat as a prohibited weapon...clubs, nightsticks, and even brass knuckles are now legal...even the old blackjack and flat sap some of us might have used in the good old days. Texas, in the last 5 years, has gotten downright accommodatin'.

Nice to know, if true & correct. Many years back, intending to help a rancher friend with a bit of minor fence-mending, I had a bunch of fencing tools behind my pickup's seat; fencing tool, hand axe, hammer, shackles for using the Hi-Lift as a wire stretcher. Was stopped by a Cop, he asked to look into truck. OK, why not? He says "Oh-Oh, you are carrying prohibited weapons". He was referring to my tools ! After explanation I was allowed to go; but the entire deal seemed really dumb to me, if there was such law.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Nice to know, if true & correct. Many years back, intending to help a rancher friend with a bit of minor fence-mending, I had a bunch of fencing tools behind my pickup's seat; fencing tool, hand axe, hammer, shackles for using the Hi-Lift as a wire stretcher. Was stopped by a Cop, he asked to look into truck. OK, why not? He says "Oh-Oh, you are carrying prohibited weapons". He was referring to my tools ! After explanation I was allowed to go; but the entire deal seemed really dumb to me, if there was such law.

leVieux

You never heard of them having to have a search warrant to search your vehicle?

That pesky little 4th Amendment!

Never let anyone search your vehicle ever. Make them get a search warrant.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I would have stepped in with caution. A buddy of mine stopped a violent confrontation only to have the woman attack him from behind while he was confronting the boyfriend.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    You never heard of them having to have a search warrant to search your vehicle?
    You never heard of the automobile exception?
    Don’t get me wrong, police still need PC to get into a vehicle, but they don’t need a warrant when on a traffic stop.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    In many cases yes, but not exclusively so. Police will attempt to gain consent even when they have PC as a precaution incase the PC gets challenged later in court.

I agree that is possible in some cases. Simply because if they have PC, but the vehicle owner consented, they had permission to search.

But I suspect many times it's just the officer being nosy, or bored!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Does Texas have a law on the books protecting good Samaritans? Say for instance, you step into that and the guy drops the girl when and if you grab him. She is injured as a result of being dropped because you intervened. She decides to sue you. Or maybe you find out it was a cop who grabbed the woman in the pursuit of his lawful duties; he decides to arrest you for interfering with a LE Officer.

What is it the cops always tell us - 'Do not get involved but be a good witness' - isn't that it or something very similar. Could be why the guy did nothing. Given their record on truthfulness or the lack of it, I'd be none to sure he did not call the cops as the media types implied. Of course, he could be an out and out coward as well.

As for me, I have stepped in before and probably would have again. I can pretty much assure you with certainty, if I had done so, I'd be in the hospital now recuperating from the injuries I would have sustained. That's because it is certain no good deed I have ever done has gone unpunished. So, I must be an idiot for being willing to do it again but such is life and a damsel in distress is something hard to ignore.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    When she is busy trying to go under the truck, the likelyhood of her attacking from behind is unlikely.
    If he has gotten to the point he throws her over his shoulder, without cuffs, he is damn sure not a cop.
    It was past time to step in.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >
    None of us knows exactly how we'd react to sudden unexpected violence. But, our best defense is training. As a lifelong Pilot, I underwent regular extensive training for many emergencies. Reactions to events became almost "automatic". Perhaps we should train for sudden abduction of other unknown persons near us ? We can't anticipate every eventuality.

Several years back in Houston, one evening, I was pumping gas when an elderly Black Man approached me and asked for $2. When I ignored him, he produced what appeared to be a revolver and demanded again. I instantly recognized that his "gun" was not real, which can be difficult these days of realistic toys. I just told him, If you don't go away, you are about to see a real GUN!"

But that could have been a tragedy. I could almost hear the "Reverends" & reporters; "Rich White Doctor shoots poor unarmed Black Man!"

leVieux

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Does Texas have a law on the books protecting good Samaritans? Say for instance, you step into that and the guy drops the girl when and if you grab him. She is injured as a result of being dropped because you intervened. She decides to sue you. Or maybe you find out it was a cop who grabbed the woman in the pursuit of his lawful duties; he decides to arrest you for interfering with a LE Officer.

What is it the cops always tell us - 'Do not get involved but be a good witness' - isn't that it or something very similar. Could be why the guy did nothing. Given their record on truthfulness or the lack of it, I'd be none to sure he did not call the cops as the media types implied. Of course, he could be an out and out coward as well.

As for me, I have stepped in before and probably would have again. I can pretty much assure you with certainty, if I had done so, I'd be in the hospital now recuperating from the injuries I would have sustained. That's because it is certain no good deed I have ever done has gone unpunished. So, I must be an idiot for being willing to do it again but such is life and a damsel in distress is something hard to ignore.

Texas' Good Samaritan Law is in section 74.151 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code. It states that anyone who administers emergency care in good faith will not be liable for civil damages.

If you are a civilian who witnesses an auto accident, for example, victims cannot hold you liable for administering aid in good faith.

Under the law, if you try to provide medical assistance, the victim or his or her family cannot hold you responsible if it does not work. This law also protects you from liability if your actions unintentionally make things worse. If you accidentally exacerbate a spinal cord injury from twisting the victim’s body the wrong way when pulling him or her out of a crashed vehicle, for instance, the victim cannot hold you responsible. The Good Samaritan Law applies to those who provide medical assistance in most common situations, including car accidents, slip and falls, dog attacks, choking, and drowning.

A number of important exceptions to Texas’ Good Samaritan Law exist. The first is if the responder does not render aid in good faith. Good faith is the honest or sincere intent to help the victim. If the civilian does not have a good faith intent to help victims involved in the accident, anything he or she does that injures the victim could lead to liability for related damages.

The second exception is if the person performing emergency care commits an act that is willfully or wantonly negligent. Willful negligence refers to the person’s intent to harm the victim, while wanton negligence is the careless disregard for how the person’s actions might foreseeably impact or injure others. Willful or wanton negligence could make a good Samaritan liable for a victim’s injuries or death.

Section (b) of the law specifically states that it does not apply to anyone who renders care with the expectation of compensation or remuneration. In other words, the statute does not protect paid health care providers or paramedics who render aid as part of their jobs and expect to receive payment for doing so. These parties could be legally responsible for negligently causing a victim’s injury, illness or death. The statute also does not protect people who are at the scene of an emergency as agents for people who are soliciting business to perform a medical service for money.

Finally, the Good Samaritan Law in Texas does not protect a person from liability if he or she caused the emergency that injured the victim. A driver that negligently caused a car accident would still be liable for the crash, for example, even after rendering good-faith aid to the victim.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Mods, I did search and don't think this has been posted yet. If so, or if this is the wrong forum, please do the needful

What would you do ?

Without audio/sound - we can't know what was said to man at the Gas Pump.....but still, he did not do anything.....

I think that I would do something...I have a wife and daughter and would hope that folks would intervene.

2 X Links below with video - the guy has been caught.

The biggest hurdle to playing hero is getting blasted by a Police Officer when they arrive on scene (RE: see OK). Police have become a shoot first ask questions later entity. I blame their training and poor leadership as they are easily thrown under the bus for political expediency and convenience in 9 out of 10 instance.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I'm sure there are a few cops out there like you say...there were in the 70s when I served.VERY few. Blanket statements are usually wrong more than right...and, of course, we don't have hard numbers on the topic.

MOST of the cops are just trying to keep their heads down, do their jobs with as little paperwork/hassle as possible, and they're counting the days till they can retire. The political/social mess they have to work in has tripled the pressure of their job...putting them at risk because they have to watch their backs with those who SHOULD be supporting them.

I've only had one personal episode where I had gun in hand when cops showed up...it went very well with no over-reaction on their part and no stupid moves on mine. I don't fear being shot by a cop. I do follow the basic common sense tips given above in this thread. If possible, holster and show empty hands...follow directions. Speak clearly and calmly to the officers...assume that none of the information which you reported to dispatch was relayed to the street cops...you're starting from scratch. I've seen this as the biggest danger to responding officers for all my adult life. Dispatch doesn't give them what they've gathered, even though they had the caller repeat it twice...or more. There are exceptions to that, too...some are real pros and really listen. They just don't usually answer when I call.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom