• ...and so much more!
  • Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    14361432_1289717224394282_3773233285307807202_o.jpg

14372396_1289889334377071_1293456342362517030_o.jpg

Got back from Frys last night and spent around 1100 getting my PC upgraded from AMD to Intel. Picked up an I5 6600K, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB RAM (4x4GB),and an MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard :)
    DK Firearms

Attachments

• SAM_0244.jpg
      SAM_0244.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 174
    • SAM_0247.jpg
      SAM_0247.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 171

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Nice setup, but ... All that horsepower and you're pulling your data off WD Greens? That's like driving a Hellcat on bicycle tires :) SSD's should definitely be your next upgrade.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Nice setup, but ... All that horsepower and you're pulling your data off WD Greens? That's like driving a Hellcat on bicycle tires :) SSD's should definitely be your next upgrade.
    Not into running a NAS setup. Plus I had the fewest problems running greens. I also already have an SSD for the OS. the 500GB green was cannibalized from an old external I had that is almost 10 yrs old, and it still runs great haha

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    The new AMD Zen processor may put them back in the game in terms of competition in power. AMD has always been fantastic at pricing, and I hope they build another processor that smokes Intel like their old Athlon did back in the golden days of computers. That being said, Intel at this point will always build something fantastic. Time will tell on the Zens, if they come out as good processors I will make my next build AMD.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    The new AMD Zen processor may put them back in the game in terms of competition in power. AMD has always been fantastic at pricing, and I hope they build another processor that smokes Intel like their old Athlon did back in the golden days of computers. That being said, Intel at this point will always build something fantastic. Time will tell on the Zens, if they come out as good processors I will make my next build AMD.

I'm a fan of AMD. They keep Intel honest but lately they've been lagging, and Intel has really been doing well with their i5 and i7 procs. I had been on AMD for a very long time and this last hardware refresh, I went Intel as Newegg was having some really good deals on their CPUs. Of course, your CPU choice sort of dictates how the rest of your build is going to be. This was also the first system I built using SSD drives, and they're awesome. I just kept the old SATA drives for bulk storage.

When I lived in Vegas, it was always a crapshoot getting hardware from Fry's, they're notorious for restocking returned defective merchandise.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I may just give AMD my business regardless, just to keep them as a competitor if anything else. I love Intel, their i7s and K series i5s rock the house but the price tag is just too much to stomach sometimes. My last build in 2011 I was pretty much maxed out on hardware, couldn't do much better without making it a waste of money and useless since programs and games didn't use half of the power I already had.

This go around, I'm keeping it simple. One 1080 video card, the fastest Zen I can buy, and 32 GB of RAM with a 750W PSU and motherboard to boot. The only downside is, I need a new monitor, I'm spoiled by my 27" iMac 2560x1440 resolution, so I already have one picked out for order come cyber Monday.

My last build I had two OCZ Vector 256GB in RAID 0 with dual 7970 Radeon's, keep in mind, the SSD market was still relatively new. They also just started producing controllers that worked well and had a high reliability rating on drives.

Top Bottom