APOD Firearms

[UPDATED] Seeking perspective on a situation my neighbor is going through...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neighbor was charged for drawing a firearm. Looking for perspective.

• The aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge was appropriate.

Votes: 10 32.3%
    • Drawing his gun would have been fine, had he not pointed it at the husband.

Votes: 6 19.4%
    • It was complete self defense and he should not had been charged.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Holy damn. If it goes this way, looks like he's in for the ride of his life. I guess he can only pray for leniency. Apparently there was no proof, or footage of any of this. I suppose that can either help, or damn him. Considering the only thing anyone actually admitted to, was that he pulled a gun on someone, looks like the gavel might come down against him. SHIT. I'm getting USCCA!
    USCCA's legal services plan only kicks in if the use of force was lawful.
    Texas SOT

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I might have pulled my shirt back to show him I was armed, but not pulled my gun from the holster.

"EXACKERLY" !

If you do "draw", the story will be distorted from that point on.

Never draw unless absolutely forced-to. . . . .

"Brandished" has gone wild, the prosecutors ALWAYS use that one. . . .

Bueno Suerte a Carlos !

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Holy damn. If it goes this way, looks like he's in for the ride of his life. I guess he can only pray for leniency. Apparently there was no proof, or footage of any of this. I suppose that can either help, or damn him. Considering the only thing anyone actually admitted to, was that he pulled a gun on someone, looks like the gavel might come down against him. SHIT. I'm getting USCCA!

In this case they wouldn't be any help.

ETA: Ninja'd by Todd...

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It's texas stand your ground law. If you say I'm going to kick your ass. Then start walking towards them. You should expect to get shot.
    Seriously?

Stand your ground law only means you dont have to try to retreat before defending yourself. Peroid end of concept. Its isnt a magical talisman that makes all other use of force justification go away.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    "EXACKERLY" !

If you do "draw", the story will be distorted from that point on.

Never draw unless absolutely forced-to. . . . .

"Brandished" has gone wild, the prosecutors ALWAYS use that one. . . .

Bueno Suerte a Carlos !

Keep in mind that if we're talking aggravated assault then the law, as todd pointed out, only requires that you "exhibit" your weapon. This case is kind of a "gimme" for a prosecutor, so a plea deal is what Carlos' lawyers need to be working on 24/7.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    All IMO. I’m no lawyer.

When he gave chase and stopped her vehicle, he became the aggressor. Self defense is a weak defense. He could have followed at a distance I suppose, but when he engaged, he started treading on dangerous grounds.

Pulling his gun was a stupid move too. One husband vrs. A 21 year old and his father? Clearly a foolish move IMO.

Good people do stupid things. He deserves what he gets, as does the lady who hit and run, but separate offenses.

Reactions: gll

jwhistler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    Arlington
    Seriously?

Stand your ground law only means you dont have to try to retreat before defending yourself. Peroid end of concept. Its isnt a magical talisman that makes all other use of force justification go away.
    So you think that yelling I'm going to kick your and walking towards them. Should not be taken as a serious threat. If so then that's the kind thinking that will get you hurt.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Five pages in, and this thread has stayed on subject, but it also seems to have largely come to a conclusion..., though the poll reponse seems to show more what we might like, rather than what the law actually allows...

I really appreciate Todd directly applying the law to this case as it was presented. Seems Carlos did well beyond what the law allows...

Slightly off subject, a question was raised in my mind by leVieux's relating in another thread that

Duh, I pushed my shirt or vest back, grasped weapon, ready to draw. A person has a lot less to possibly explain if weapon never leaves its holster.

IIRC, in that case it was a "safari vest" and a G26, not a real .45.

Every prosecutor loves the word "brandish" and misuses it liberally.

In Carlos case, the OP says...

Carlos pulls his Glock and points it at the gay and apparently told him don't come any closer.

While these two actions seem to have little in common, they do both include something of a "defensive display", though I'm not clear whether that would be as defined by law.

In leVieux's case he was obviously CC and acted to display his weapon. In Carlos' case, I infer that he was CC and drew his weapon in order to display it. Both were trying to forestall escalation...

In either case, if they had been OC (perhaps not legal at the time of leVieux's case), their weapon would have been naturally displayed and no action to display it required...

Seems likely that a cop in Carlos' shoes would minimally have layed in hand on his OC'ed weapon, and that action would have been seen as justified, but in leVieux's case, and especially Carlos' case, because they CC'ed, they thought what could possibly be construed as an aggressive action (assault?) was necessary to display their weapons, one not necessary if they had OC'ed.

My question is whether OC offers a defensive advantage, considering the law? Allowing a more overt display of the possibility of deadly force without any action required to show that capability?

If Carlos had OC'ed, could he have reasonably layed his hand on his gun, as many a cop I've seen has done in a threatening situation?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So you think that yelling I'm going to kick your and walking towards them. Should not be taken as a serious threat. If so then that's the kind thinking that will get you hurt.
    If such had happened at the original scene of the accident, then self-defense if such would apply, but the key factor is that Carlos and his father pursued the woman, to another location and all that now goes out the window.

You can't instigate the situation then cry you're the victim in order to use a self defense claim in the use of deadly force in Texas.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Usually a misdemeanor charge, unless there are injuries or a fatality, then it could get kicked up to a felony charge.
    Considering the 21 ‘ rule I would say he was justified in pulling his weapon after a threat and advancement. That being said , he should have gotten the license plate number and broken off the chase.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Considering the 21 ‘ rule I would say he was justified in pulling his weapon after a threat and advancement. That being said , he should have gotten the license plate number and broken off the chase.
    That they took up chase of the woman is the biggest factor that negates anything they might have been justified in doing.

I'm sure the woman was on the phone with her husband and telling him two crazy men are chasing her, and as a husband, if I were in his shoes, I would have done the same thing. I would be threatening to kick some ass big time.

One of the most valuable lessons I learned about carrying was that I was not some sort of avenger or super cop, but in most cases instead of inseting myself into things better left to LE, was to be the best witness possible so they can catch the bad guys. The woman committing hit and run, makes her the bad guy in this situation.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Its generally a good idea to say as little as possible to the police. "may be used against you in a court of law...."

Top Bottom