• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I was there. I helped Load Bruce on the Helicopter and I was present for the aftermath.

As far as the facts, these will be discussed later. I will simply ask everyone to make sure all your weapons are cleared before and after casing/un-casing and keep the muzzles pointed down range and at the ground at all times.

I sent the following email to everyone that I have on my email list:

On Sunday, January 3, 2010, Bruce Ross, a shooter, thus our brother, was badly wounded in
    an accident. He is in serious need of blood, today.

He is at Memorial Herman Hospital in the Med Center where he went through six units last night during surgery.

If you can find the time to give a unit of blood at any donating facility and do it in his name that would be appreciated http://www.memorialhermann.org/waystogive/content.aspx?id=2536

Even if you do not know him personally, a card or alittle somthing for encoutagement would be nice.

Memorial Hermann - Texas Medical Center6411 Fannin
    Houston, Texas 77030
    (713) 704-4000

I have learned that you will need Bruce’s Date of birth to donate blood for him.

Bruce Ross’ date of birth is 4-9-1949.

As of today, 1-10-2010, Bruce and his family are doing as well as can be expected.
    bruce still needs blood donations.

The ImpactZone is planning on having a benefit pistol match and BBQ later this month. I ask that all attend and shoot the match. It is going to be an open match for the purpose of fun and helping Bruce and Dale out. Even if you do not have a race gun, race rig and don't normally participate in pistol matches, please come out and participate in this one to support Bruce, Dale and the ImpactZone.

View attachment 2273
    This is a picture of the MedEvac that flew in to take Bruce to the Hospital.
    Military Camp

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Blood donation isn't type specific. He gets credit for the volume donated, not the actual donor's blood. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Oh, I was not aware of that...one of those areas I am ignorant in, thanks for the info kurt.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Sad, we hope for his fast and complete recovery !!! Grown ups hammered at us to treat all firearms as if they were loaded at all times....In today's world, all of mine are unless being cleaned or repaired....

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Will keep him and his family and friends in my prayes... Does he have kids at home... I do not know this man, but maybe some up that way can also make some food to take to the family, one less thing they need to try to worry about is cooking (we use to do this when I lived on base as a kid and in my neighborhood in Corpus if someone got sick and was in the hospital)

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I talked to phil this morning, he is scheudleing a fun match/shoot at the end of january.

I'll update everyone on Bruce's condition when i hear something more.

Alan has set up a paypal account for donations.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    any word on what happened initially...?

I'll let Phil make that call, but I don't see it happening. The thread on ARFCOM just turned into a bunch of "I told you so" holier than thou bullshit, and frankly ... that's not going to help anyone's situation.

As with any shooting, 2 of the 4 rules were broken, and someone got hurt badly.

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Well, THAT was frustrating

I found a blood drive (via https://ww3.giveblood.org/gcrbc/drives/bydate.cfm) running this afternoon near me out of an office building conference room. Went there, waited in line, did the whole questionnaire thing, finger prick, sign here... wait a minute, Charlie. Where do I specify who gets credited with this donation?

Crickets.

Couldn't get a straight answer out of any of the staff there onsite, other than 'we don't do that'.

Finally gave up & left, rather than donate generically and lose my opportunity to make a credited donation for 8 weeks.

Does anyone have any specifics I can use to ensure I can make a donation that'll be credited appropriately?

thanks,

RNH

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I believe you specify what SC-Texas posted in the first post:

On Sunday, January 3, 2010, Bruce Ross, a shooter, thus our brother, was badly wounded in
    an accident. He is in serious need of blood, today.

He is at Memorial Herman Hospital in the Med Center where he went through six units last night during surgery.

If you can find the time to give a unit of blood at any donating facility and do it in his name that would be appreciated http://www.memorialhermann.org/waystogive/content.aspx?id=2536

Even if you do not know him personally, a card or alittle somthing for encoutagement would be nice.

Memorial Hermann - Texas Medical Center6411 Fannin
    Houston, Texas 77030
    (713) 704-4000

I have learned that you will need Bruce’s Date of birth to donate blood for him.

Bruce Ross’ date of birth is 4-9-1949.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    UPDATE form Last Week 1-8-10

Thanks to all concerned,, Bruce is doing better, and again thanks to all that have donated blood in his name, The red tape involved (pun intended) in him getting credit for those donations is being worked out as we speak, (there’s more to it than you would imagine ) But regardless someone who needs it will get it and that’s not a bad thing.
    He has had a few surgery’s to his left leg to remove damaged flesh and skin grafts, but will have more, and they have started therapy on that leg. At the moment no decision has been made on how to address the loss of bone in the right leg, there are several options and all are being thoroughly look at, I’m sure the rout that ensures the highest % of recovery will be the rout taken.

I hope to spend more time with Bruce tomorrow and I have spoken with his wife daily on his condition, I will tell you that these are fine people, and must be as they met on a shooting range 27 years ago., and they are both touched by the deep concern from the shooting community for his well being.

I’m in the process of putting together a fund raising raffle or fun shot of sorts to be held on the 30th of this month to benefit both Bruce’s family and the Monaville VFD who did a great job as did the responding Waller county EMS and Sheriffs Dept. There will be a AK-47 on the table as well as Certificates for training, the first will be to the next Suarez International Tactical Combat Casualty Care class (date to be announced ) the first one we held here in Feb of last year and it was a great full day of hands on training. Jeff Lipa the instructor has a lot of hands on experience and did a great job of presenting the information needed, all the students that attended left with a kit and Jeff was kind enough to leave me with much of the kit that was used to save Bruce.

Any one wishing to donate to the raffle or help on the 30th please contact me directly
    Phil theimpactzone@peoplepc.com or 832-274-8549

Again Bruce his wife and I, thank all you for your prayers and support
    Lets continue to work at keeping this a sport that we are all proud to be involved in

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    UPDATE form Last Week 1-8-10
    Thanks to all concerned,, Bruce is doing better, and again thanks to all that have donated blood in his name, The red tape involved (pun intended) in him getting credit for those donations is being worked out as we speak, (there’s more to it than you would imagine ) But regardless someone who needs it will get it and that’s not a bad thing.
    He has had a few surgery’s to his left leg to remove damaged flesh and skin grafts, but will have more, and they have started therapy on that leg. At the moment no decision has been made on how to address the loss of bone in the right leg, there are several options and all are being thoroughly look at, I’m sure the rout that ensures the highest % of recovery will be the rout taken.

I hope to spend more time with Bruce tomorrow and I have spoken with his wife daily on his condition, I will tell you that these are fine people, and must be as they met on a shooting range 27 years ago., and they are both touched by the deep concern from the shooting community for his well being.

I’m in the process of putting together a fund raising raffle or fun shot of sorts to be held on the 30th of this month to benefit both Bruce’s family and the Monaville VFD who did a great job as did the responding Waller county EMS and Sheriffs Dept. There will be a AK-47 on the table as well as Certificates for training, the first will be to the next Suarez International Tactical Combat Casualty Care class (date to be announced ) the first one we held here in Feb of last year and it was a great full day of hands on training. Jeff Lipa the instructor has a lot of hands on experience and did a great job of presenting the information needed, all the students that attended left with a kit and Jeff was kind enough to leave me with much of the kit that was used to save Bruce.

Any one wishing to donate to the raffle or help on the 30th please contact me directly

Again Bruce his wife and I, thank all you for your prayers and support
    Lets continue to work at keeping this a sport that we are all proud to be involved in

From 1-10-10:

A note from Bruce

Dear all,

Thank you for the many kind thoughts and prayers since the AD accident on Sunday. I am a man of deep faith and everyday find myself floating on the wings of many prayers, it is a wonderful experience!

I also want our community to understand that we have good reasons to feel proud because I survived what should have been an unsurvivable injury so far from town. Phil's prompt and technically correct tournequet placement prevented me from bleeding out - that leg had a completely severed poplital artery - and 4 minutes is one's life expectancy for that wound if not treated correctly.

Please make sure the EMTs and fire/sheriff personnel plus the lifeflight crew also get a well deserved "thank you" for doing their jobs in the most professional way possible. While I obviously wish this AD had not happened, and I still have a long recovery ahead, because everybody took the correct actions at the right time I am still here to say "thanks"!

Bruce Ross

And on that note look forward to the (Benefit Bruce shoot & Blood drive) on Jan 30th. Still working out the details but will tell you the Raffle Grand Prize so far is a Tac-47 Custom AK, 2 days Training with Sonny Puzikas Former Soviet Spetsnaz in the proper use of and all required ammo for the class. Oh and I forgot also on the prize table is a hour with Leslie Derrick Personal Fitness Trainer with Anytime Any Place Fitness, " yes thats her on my web site with the white muscle shirt and AK
    Again anyone who wants to donate or help contact me directly

Thanks all

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    FYI It is THIS SATURDAY

Benefit Bruce Shoot & Blood Drive
    Jan 30th 1:00 PM at The Impactzone

See bottom for notes from Bruce
    On Jan 3rd Bruce Ross suffered a gunshot wound from a 30-06 too both legs removing several inches of his right femur as well at arterial damage to his left leg, due to a Accidental Discharge of a firearm, NOT of his own doing. Bruce is recovering but has a long road ahead of therapy and surgery's In order to help Bruce and his family with out of pocket expenses the Impactzone is hosting a Benefit shoot and blood drive to benefit Bruce, the Monaville VFD and all who may suffer any injury requiring blood
    There will be games of chance and skill for both handgun and rifle in a carnival type atmosphere, tickets will be purchased at a cost of $5 each or 5 for $20. Participants may then elect to use their tickets as they wish, to enter the different events or to be placed in the general raffle. Anyone who donates blood and brings a receipt or there blood donor instructions can exchange them for a ticket.
    Poker Shoot a target with 52 playing cards, contestants fire 5 shots on a swinging target in a limited amount of time, best poker hand wins, events in both rifle and pistol
    Pistol Poker Shoot Prize A true classic two tone blue/nickel Colt Series 70 Gov Mod built during the early 80's Checkered front strap, forged mag well, Bo-mar rear sight, and EDM Specialties Keeper Porting System, beaver tail grip safety, extended thumb safety, mag release and full length guide rod. Before compensators this was the IPSC gun of the day, a real piece of history and one of a hell of a defensive handgun even by today's standards.​

Rifle Poker Shoot Prize Romanian AK 47 the same one given away at the Comp-Tac Warrior Support match Poker Shoot
    Texas Star Limited Pistol Glock 23 Texas Star Open Pistol 1000's of rounds of ammo calibers to be announced.
    General Raffle
    participants do not need to be present to win if their name and Phone # is printed clearly on ticket
    Grand Prize's
    Saiga AK-47 in 7.62x39, Two day class with Sony Puzikas and 1000 rounds of ammo,
    Point Blank Interceptor Body Armor with 7.62 SAPI plates,
    Advanced Armament Corp 22 cal Aviator Suppressor, NFA required trust paper work and $200 to cover Federal Tax

Those that are interested on contributing to the prize table or helping
    contact Phil Oxley theimpactzone@peoplepc.com or 832-274-8549
    Notes from Bruce
    Dear all,

Thank you for the many kind thoughts and prayers since the AD accident on Sunday. I am a man of deep faith and everyday find myself floating on the wings of many prayers, it is a wonderful experience!

I also want our community to understand that we have good reasons to feel proud because I survived what should have been an unsurvivable injury so far from town. Phil's prompt and technically correct tourniquet placement prevented me from bleeding out - that leg had a completely severed poplital artery - and 4 minutes is one's life expectancy for that wound if not treated correctly.

Please make sure the EMTs and fire/sheriff personnel plus the lifeflight crew also get a well deserved "thank you" for doing their jobs in the most professional way possible. While I obviously wish this AD had not happened, and I still have a long recovery ahead, because everybody took the correct actions at the right time I am still here to say "thanks"!

Bruce Ross

Top Bottom