• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx

What COL and charge are you running with rl7? Ive got aome of that laying around. I honestly havent tinkered a whole lot with subs after I dialed in my loads. I just dont shoot subs much after I saw how the gam reacted and Im not much of a plinker with 300blk. Its pretty much strictly a stubby hunting gun. I really want to try some red dot under some 90gr pills for varmint loads though.

I'm working tonight but I will send you what I have tomorrow.
    Venture Surplus ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've fired a good number of silenced firearms and have not been impressed with the sound level. At our private range, many of our members use silenced rifles and I haven't seen one yet that I'd feel comfortable firing without hearing protection. In pistols, the best ones change the sound from a BANG to a POP!

I know that our members like cans but I don't see much gain in using them. The need to get Federal paperwork takes the fun out of it.

If you like cans, then party on. I see nothing of interest there for me.

Flash

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    It's 308 and not 300BLK, but there is an amazing difference between my AR10 and Remington 700 using the same YHM can.
    The sound difference is the action and design to cycle the action on the AR10 vs the 700 not having it.

So a gas cycled semi-auto will be be inherently louder. Nothing is Hollywood quiet.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I've fired a good number of silenced firearms and have not been impressed with the sound level. At our private range, many of our members use silenced rifles and I haven't seen one yet that I'd feel comfortable firing without hearing protection. In pistols, the best ones change the sound from a BANG to a POP!

I know that our members like cans but I don't see much gain in using them. The need to get Federal paperwork takes the fun out of it.

If you like cans, then party on. I see nothing of interest there for me.

Flash

I have no idea what models or even guns you shot but I feel you may not have been shooting quality stuff.

My bolt guns with a can are absolutely hearing safe and a pleasure to shoot. I am most happy with suppressed bolt gun performance as far as sound reduction goes.

22lr subsonic is comical how quiet it is. You literally hear the firing pin drop. Now supersonic rounds, it sucks, not much quieter than without the can.

Semiauto rifles with a can still sound significantly better but I still wear ear plugs. When Im shooting for prolonged periods I double up on ear pro, cans allow me to bypass the muffs. The port pop of a semi is often louder than the muzzle report with a can. A can does take the huge bite out of the muzzle blast of short barrel rifles. I think ee can sll agree full house 5.56 loads have quite a bit of bark.

Pistol cans shooting subsonics does make more a thud/pop but is well below hearing safe, like 15db below hearing saf . Maybe the one you heard was shooting supersonics. Either in my opinion shooting pistols suppressed is just a novelty as the weight and length of the can take away any practical purpose for the most part. Id rather run an SBR that packa more punch and is faster to follow up shots. Theyre still a fun novelty toy though.

The government is already involved in almost all aspects of your life, youre on this site so youre probably already on "the list". The paperwork is done by the shop I buy from. I literally swipe my card and sign the receipt since they have my trust on file. No more difficult than buying a pack of gum.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm not knocking the use of cans if that's what you want to do. For me, the reduction in noise level is not sufficient to make me delve into it, myself. The Hollywood "WHOOSH" coming from silenced firearms is a joke.

Full auto is another matter. I've fired a lot of full auto firearms and that really rang my bell. I can see why folks would legally get into that! Unfortunately, ammo cost placed FA way out of range for me.

Either way....Party on and do what you want to do. This sport is supposed to be fun!

Flash

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    ...in my opinion shooting pistols suppressed is just a novelty as the weight and length of the can take away any practical purpose for the most part.

Particularly with centerfire pistols, I agree 100%. Add in the additional dirtiness and blowback hitting you in the face, and the novelty has quickly worn off for me personally. In fact, I am thinking about attaching my Octane to my 300BLK and just leaving it there, no more pistol use.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'll theorize.
    The fast burning magnum pistol powders used in 300bo are likely at peak velocity in a 10" barrel. Hornady probably tested those rounds in a 16" barrel, whick would slow the bullets by friction to sub sonic velocities.

This is the first time I ever heard that a longer barrel would cause lower velocities....

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    This is the first time I ever heard that a longer barrel would cause lower velocities....

Texmex laid it out very well in a thread a couple of years ago.
    His 16" 10/22 produced higher velocities than other barrel lengths.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had somebody email me some data on this & kind of explained to me how uninformed I was on sub-sonic ammo, lol....

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    300 BLK was designed for 8-9" barrels. The case volume is such that that max pressure occurs quickly. By 5" the pressure has dropped to around 6,000psi (subsonic) which is sufficient to rack the bolt back. So with pressure dropping that fast a longer barrel might result in the bullet slowing down. It is established that even in supersonic rounds there is no appreciable gains in velocity or accuracy with a longer barrel.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    300 BLK was designed for 8-9" barrels. The case volume is such that that max pressure occurs quickly. By 5" the pressure has dropped to around 6,000psi (subsonic) which is sufficient to rack the bolt back. So with pressure dropping that fast a longer barrel might result in the bullet slowing down. It is established that even in supersonic rounds there is no appreciable gains in velocity or accuracy with a longer barrel.

Wait....wut??

No velocity gains or accuracy change between say an 8" & 22" barrel?

Are you referring to 300 BLK only, or all rifle calibers?

Top Bottom