Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Non-verbal ‘’political correctness’’, anyone ?
    The crap that high level shooters must endure under ISSF rules is mind-boggling. I've been away from that world for a long time but from what I can tell, it's gotten even worse over the years.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Agreed. And neither of the photos Toddnjoyce refers to show the sling properly employed to stabilize the rifle.
    I thought that the precisely proper way to use a sling was, in certain circles, basically the same as 9 v 45 or Ford v Chevy.

I hope y'all aren't about to prove me right. :)

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I thought that the precisely proper way to use a sling was, in certain circles, basically the same as 9 v 45 or Ford v Chevy.

I hope y'all aren't about to prove me right. :)

This is the way I was taught. Creates a pretty damn stable platform to shoot with. Don't know who this guy is or WTF is up with his ear pro, but at least he uses his sling right.

1706297191516.png
    1706297205186.png

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    This is the way I was taught. Creates a pretty damn stable platform to shoot with. Don't know who this guy is or WTF is up with his ear pro, but at least he uses his sling right.

View attachment 429649 View attachment 429651
    Probably just showing proper sling use. Not actually firing the weapon at that point.
    Back in the day, we would spend a week snapping in on a barrel...jackets and slings, but no ear-pro because we weren't firing rounds

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    That being said...not sure what the second picture is supposed to show...the sling should be around the bicep of the shooting arm...not sure where he has his anchored...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That being said...not sure what the second picture is supposed to show...the sling should be around the bicep of the shooting arm...not sure where he has his anchored...

You're right, I just noticed the arm is not through the sling at all like it should be. What I get for being in a hurry - bad example pics.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    You're right, I just noticed the arm is not through the sling at all like it should be. What I get for being in a hurry - bad example pics.
    I guess it bothered me enough, had to get the rifle out and sling it up just to be sure...yep, he's got the sling on the wrong arm..
    Well, at least according to the Marine Corps.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I guess it bothered me enough, had to get the rifle out and sling it up just to be sure...yep, he's got the sling on the wrong arm..
    Well, at least according to the Marine Corps.

Now that is interesting. I was taught to put the support arm through and around the sling, so the rifle is anchored. Are you saying it should be the right arm through the sling? I'm trying to picture how that would work.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Now that is interesting. I was taught to put the support arm through and around the sling, so the rifle is anchored. Are you saying it should be the right arm through the sling? I'm trying to picture how that would work.
    So, in competitive shooting, the shooter loops the tail of the sling through the off hand, and around the upper arm. Then wraps the same arm around the sling. Then shortens up the sling so that when the butt is placed in the shoulder, there is no play in the sling and it is very tight.
    I'll look for a picture.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So, in competitive shooting, the shooter loops the tail of the sling through the off hand, and around the upper arm. Then wraps the same arm around the sling. Then shortens up the sling so that when the butt is placed in the shoulder, there is no play in the sling and it is very tight.
    I'll look for a picture.

OK, I'm pretty sure that's what I was talking about. I thought you were saying the shooting arm that's pulling the trigger would go through the sling. That seems counterintuitive.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Targets are 18 inches large and this is the most stable position I found. Yes, offhand Sir with a 96/11 Swiss army rifle !
    (picture enpty rifle and opened bold for safety requirement at the range during photo session)

View attachment 429382

Thank's to toddnjoyce for the pics.

Waitting for Sam7sf one's !

Someone can tell me what does mean OP ?

Thank's

Only if my body lets me bend this far.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Sorry, I misspoke...it would be the offhand arm, not the side that shoulders the rifle...

It's ok. It did send me briefly down an internet rabbit hole full of pics like this of varying quality and clarity:

1706303609179.png

But then I also wound up seeing some examples of the "other" way and...this doesn't look very effective to me:

1706303697277.png

Seems like having the supporting arm securing the rifle would be more stable than whatever this guy's doing. Maybe he's got it so tight the rifle is stable?

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    The idea is to provide support through counter support...the shoulders are the base of the triangle, the rifle itself one side and the sling and offhand the other.. the shoulders are a fixed length, the rifle a fixed length. The variable is the offhand and the sling tension.
    Clear as mud...Right?

Top Bottom