Gun Zone Deals

Trying to Find info on a Ticket, Parking on Sidewalk.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    I recently got a ticket on the campus of my college, not from the college police but by the city.

The ticket is saying that I parked on the sidewalk which is a small concrete walk that surrounds the lot. the problem I am having with this is that I am not considering this a sidewalk, my reasoning is that in the parking lot there is none of the concrete barriers at the front of a parking space that separates the Lot from the sidewalk so it is impossible to tell when you have reached the sidewalk and everyone that parks in the lot has part of their car on some of the sidewalk.

The day I got my ticket so did about 40 other cars for the same reason. Its a 11 dollar ticket so yea that's a easy 440 bucks for the city.

I thought about just paying it and going on about my business but then decided to challenge it, hoping to keep it from happening to other people at the college, 11 dollars goes a long way for a student.
    Capitol Armory ad

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    If its from the city police, you can try the R.O.W. rule. Its not a TXDOT ROW and is therefore private property, it is the equivalent of you parking on the sidewalk at your residence. College campuses may be different. I got arrested for doing donuts in an old walmart parking lot one time, I hired an attorney because it was private property, and sued. City lost, and officer lost his job. (Cameras revealed I wasn't even doing donuts.)

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Welcome to the wrath of the revenuers ! Pay the $11 fine, say three "Eff obamas", and sin no more ! No, really you probably can beat the money grabbers, hopefully so , I wish you well !

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    Not much counts on private parking lot's except for DWI and backing without safety, Most agencies in our area wont even work accidents on parking lot's unless there are injuries or DWI, blue form accident report time.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Thanks everyone for the help.

I didn't think about the ROW stuff. I have tried searching on google trying to find if there is an exact rule to this and have come up with nothing.

So I am going to just argue it as since I am parking on Private Property and such.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The information about blocking sidewalks on private property is not completely accurate. Most cities have ordinances against it.

Colleges are also enforceable for traffic laws. Speed limits, stop signs, and all other traffic laws apply. I can cite the code if anyone wants it......

If you don't think you were guilty fight it. That is your right. However, just let go of the revenue argument. It costs a WHOLE LOT MORE than $400 for the cop to be there writing the ticket, the gasoline, supplies, the courts time and salaries, etc. Someone complained at the college, I'll bet.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    That is what I am saying robin.

There is No Paint stripe, sign, concrete wheel block or anything that tells you if you have gone to far. It is just concrete to pavement

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    That is what I am saying robin.

There is No Paint stripe, sign, concrete wheel block or anything that tells you if you have gone to far. It is just concrete to pavement
    Take pictures and show proof and I bet I hope you have a case that gets throw out.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Going to take some pictures.

Not trying to be an ass for 11 dollars but I think its the right thing to do instead of letting it continue to other people

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Lemme ask you a question.....

There's a sidewalk there from the sounds of it. Were you in fact encroaching on it? If so, pay it and move on. Think about the poor schmuck in a wheelchair that may be blocked because of this kinda thing.

Sometimes, yeah - you can beat it. But if you were in the wrong, you were wrong. Man up and pay the fine, and don't do it again. If you honestly weren't encroachin' onto the sidewalk, then by all means fight it.

Ain't pickin' on you, but when folks complain about how "technical" all the laws are becoming, it's our own fault - because we're always lookin' for ways to "beat the rap" rather than sayin' "My Bad" and moving on.

Jest mah .02 worth.....not necessarily "right" or "wrong" - jest mah thoughts.

Top Bottom