• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Sitting on the couch about 12:45 and I hear a car alarm go off. I jump up and go to the window to see my lights blinking.. I didn't see anyone or anything around the truck, so I go grab my keys and turn the alarm off from inside the house. I go grab my gun and head out the front door, being very causious..Both mine and my wife's cars are parked in our driveway, she pulled in straight, I backed my truck in today. I get to the passenger side of my truck to see the window busted out.. so I grab my phone and call 911. Wilco Deputy arrives a few minutes later and the report is filed. All the punks got was my GPS... I'm pissed cause this will be many hours dealing with insurance, body shop, picking up glass AGAIN, all for a bullshit $140 GPS... I am starting to get real tired of Round Rock..

So here I am now at 2am, I really doubt I will sleep tonight..

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Man, sorry to hear that.. I've gotten a window busted over a car radio worth $50 at most. Thief left blood all over the place after cutting themselves on the car glass as well. Cut wires, broken window cost me $100 and the insurance much more.

I have motion lights on my driveway now. Best to keep cars in the garage though I've never managed that :-(

911 is an emergency number btw, no threat to you and yours best to have the local PD number handy to report crimes.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    When our cars were vandalized back in Nov, I installed motion sensor on the floodlight. It did not detour them.. I realize 911 is an emergency number, my hope was if they got out here fast enough they might catch them in another part of the hood.. Guess that was too much to hope for..

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    LOL sterling i was literally about to post that.

well not the "i b thinkin" part, but the claymore part.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    i have a friend who's theroy is to take all the valuables out and leave his car unlocked. He thinks that way they will look around and leave without breaking anything. So far no more broken windows.
    I do not suscribe to this course of action, but it is a unique solution.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Our neighbor does that. It also means that they won't prosecute someone if they catch them in the car. Cops also pointed out to the neighbor (as had I) that it means that they'll either keep trying on other nights....or try the neighbors. I have a coupla things ready for 'em....not what I'd like to have, but 12-gauge booby traps are illegal.....

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    Sorry for your hassle Randman. Just goes to show you can do all you can, motion sensors, car alarms, hiding the valuables and they’ll still mess with your stuff. I had some jackass take a baseball bat to the windshield of my truck last summer. They didn’t even try to get in, just wanted to destroy something. Cost me $200 and it didn’t meet the deductable with my insurance so I had to pay all of it.

WestFork

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    My GPS was stolen out of my jeep last summer, no broken window, my thief picked my lock. What's funny is that GPS was a POS, the plug didn't even work at turning it on unless you really messed with it. Plus it was old, really old model.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    There are POS out there that will take anything just for the thrill. I must say that most LEOs have a grin on their face when they encounter a thief that runs into a well prepared "victim".

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Incorrect info you were given...a car being locked/unlocked has no bearing in the "burglary of a vehicle" statute.
    You could reach in an open window and grab something off the seat or dash and be convicted.

Yeah - wondered 'bout that. Have a feeling that he misunderstood, that maybe what they were trying to tell him was that makin' it easy for 'em won't stop 'em, and makes it less likely they'd get caught simply because they'll be in and out quicker an' more quietly.

One thing you might consider....tie a 12 vdc miniature relay into the interior light circuit w/a hidden switch outside. Get out, flip the switch....thereby armin' a 140 db or more siren mounted inside the vehicle. Won't take 'em long ta leave....

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    ...One thing you might consider....tie a 12 vdc miniature relay into the interior light circuit w/a hidden switch outside. Get out, flip the switch....thereby armin' a 140 db or more siren mounted inside the vehicle. Won't take 'em long ta leave....

Funny you mention that. I have in my mustang whats called a peazo siren attached to the alarm. If they get in its way too loud for them to stay. ITs a real good idea.
    YouTube - 12Vdc High Power Piezo Siren
    Sorry to hear that it happened to you. I despise thieves.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Well, they have pepper spray bombs for the home - don't see them comercially available, but a creative one could set one up to go off in the car if the alarm was activated. Wouldn't that be something sweet to see - some little 18 year old punk rolling around on the ground holding his eyes and screaming right outside your open car door with the alarm blaring......

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Well, they have pepper spray bombs for the home - don't see them comercially available, but a creative one could set one up to go off in the car if the alarm was activated. Wouldn't that be something sweet to see - some little 18 year old punk rolling around on the ground holding his eyes and screaming right outside your open car door with the alarm blaring......

You'll be the one crying all the way to the cleaners......

$500 to $1000 bill to clean it out of your car after it goes off. No way anyone is going to want to clean peperspray out of the car for less.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry to hear that. Two things that could've prevented that are: 1) Not leaving anything visible, and 2) Park inside the garage.

Crackheads will not hesitate to bust your window to sell a $150 GPS unit for $25 -- all for a crack hit. Your time and insurance deductible have no bearing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom