• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I also think that's a little bit big. An 8 m.o.a. dot at 100 yds. has a diameter of 8.3775968 inches. A 4 m.o.a. dot is easily picked up and seen at 100 yds. Just my two bits.
    I've shot some pistols with small red dots on them and I didn't like it. The bigger dot works better, at least for me.

I really want to put an RMR on my M&P 9mm or even my Steyr if possible.
    Here's one place that does it. http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html
    I thought I had a couple other places bookmarked, but can't seem to find them now. I'm tempted to throw mine on the mini mill and try to do it myself. Maybe I should practice on a Taurus first

Every advantage the RDS gives a carbine is also applicable to the pistol, which is why our students train with their RDS equipped pistols out to 200 yards.
    Red dots on pistols have been around for quite awhile, but most folks poo-poo them. I never really could figure out why because if you like a red dot on your carbine, then you'll like it on your pistol, too. I think it took a major manufacturer (FNP-45 tactical) to start making them for it to become mainstream.
    Texas SOT

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Round Rock
    Just like anyone with a Dremel and some time can "gunsmith" a 1911, right?

Not saying it can't be done, but past experience tells me the chances of it being done correctly the first time are slim.

I don't blame you for advertising, but anyone with some basic gun-smithy knowledge and experience with a milling machine could do it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If you are not stuck on using an RMR, the Burris Fastfire II & III have many mounting adaptors for popular pistols. I use one on my Ruger Mark III (4MOA). It looks as custom as the Glock above. An incomplete list is attached, but you might find your gun on there....

Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410321
    • 1911 Standard
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410322t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410322
    • 1911 Bomar / Novak
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410323t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410323
    • Kimber Standard & Target
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410324t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410324
    • Beretta 90-TWO
    • Beretta 92
    • Beretta 96
    • Taurus PT99
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410325t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410325
    • Beretta PX4 Storm
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410326t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410326
    • Glock
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410327t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410327
    • Sig Sauer P226
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410328t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410328
    • Springfield XD
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »
    410329t.jpg
    Burris FastFire Mount
    Stock # - 410329
    • Ruger Mark I, II, III
    • Matte
    $44.95

More Details »

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I was wondering about that. I have a Fastfire that I just haven't found the right home for. I bought a TacSol rail for my Buckmark pistol and put the FF on it but it was too high above the bore axis for me. I don't know about the add on pieces above either because they may have the same problem. I wonder of a stock Glock slide has enough meat to mill a M1919 profile into it behind the ejection port.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    If you are not stuck on using an RMR, the Burris Fastfire II & III have many mounting adaptors for popular pistols. I use one on my Ruger Mark III (4MOA). It looks as custom as the Glock above. An incomplete list is attached, but you might find your gun on there....

Pretty sure that the RMR can be stuck on top with an adaptor too. But going with the TSD setup or one of the other setups where they mill the slide brings that point of aim closer to point of impact. If you are looking to shoot any longer distances, like the SI folks like to do, that would come into play.

And even if not planning on shooting at a further distance, you stick one of those things on top of an adaptor that is on top of the pistol and they just don't look good. Now I know that looks shouldn't mean too much with a firearm, but some things just look out of place.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Utter horse crap. At close range, you will be indexing the pistol with either a "meat and metal" or "screen test" sight picture and the dot is not a factor at all. Ask any of the hundreds of TSD Glock armed graduates of the SI Close Range Gunfighting course. At longer ranges, the RDS is exponentially faster than iron sights and allows the shooter to put accurate shots on the target at a much faster pace compared to iron sights. Every advantage the RDS gives a carbine is also applicable to the pistol, which is why our students train with their RDS equipped pistols out to 200 yards. The only limiting factor is the skill level of the shooter and the inherent ballistics of the cartridge.

The TSD Pistol: Allowing shooters to do things with a pistol that most cannot do with a carbine, since 2010!

Pic: 250 rounds from 5 to 110 yards at combat speed.

Whats the hold over with a 9mm at 200 yards from a pistol barrel? 3 or 4 feet if not more? Serious question...

Paul Gomez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow. I sure am glad to hear that you guys are having such wonderful feelings of speed using the micro red dots. When you can produce some hard, objective data, such as split times against low probability targets, you'll make your case a lot stronger. Of course, ​typing in bold on the internet​ is almost as good.

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Round Rock
    The Lox: I was holding approx 1 dot width above the head to hit center chest with 115 grain standard velocity loads. At 200, that is about 24 inches. With a 10 yard zero, if you hold dead on the face, you will drop the rounds into the center of the chest.

PG: Split times? Who gives a flying fornication about split times in a fight? Hundredths of a second only count in games.

Whats the hold over with a 9mm at 200 yards from a pistol barrel? 3 or 4 feet if not more? Serious question...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I was wondering about that. I have a Fastfire that I just haven't found the right home for. I bought a TacSol rail for my Buckmark pistol and put the FF on it but it was too high above the bore axis for me. I don't know about the add on pieces above either because they may have the same problem. I wonder of a stock Glock slide has enough meat to mill a M1919 profile into it behind the ejection port.

The FastFire mount for the top of a slide is only about 1/8" thick. Be aware though (as noted earlier) Burris says their mount for the Glock will it ALL Glocks but that is not true. Their mount (without further modification) will not fit on their larger slides for the G20,21,29,and30! The modiication is simple and inexpensive.

Edit to Add: Although there is nothing wrong with the FastFire and the various mounts for it, I personally think the dovetail mount might be a slightly better way to go.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    The Lox: I was holding approx 1 dot width above the head to hit center chest with 115 grain standard velocity loads. At 200, that is about 24 inches. With a 10 yard zero, if you hold dead on the face, you will drop the rounds into the center of the chest.

PG: Split times? Who gives a flying fornication about split times in a fight? Hundredths of a second only count in games.

Another honest question, at 200 yards would a Bad Guy be able to move after hearing the report of your shot? I guess another way to phrase it would be how long does it take your average 9mm bullet to travel 200 yards?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Another honest question, at 200 yards would a Bad Guy be able to move after hearing the report of your shot? I guess another way to phrase it would be how long does it take your average 9mm bullet to travel 200 yards?

9mm: ~1,200 ft/s for 600 ft = 0.5s
    Sound: ~1,126 ft/s for 600 ft = 0.533s

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

How would he know which way to move.....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    9mm: ~1,200 ft/s for 600 ft = 0.5s
    Sound: ~1,126 ft/s for 600 ft = 0.533s
    Well by 75 yards it'll probably be going subsonic. The sound will make it there slightly before or about the same time as the bullet. Light travels even faster tho... Someone with quick reflexes could see the muzzle flash and step out of the way. Not really likely, tho.

yay, maths!

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Anyone who wants to try the TSD Combat Systems Glocks are welcome to do so at my May 5-6 Close Range Gunfighting in Orange TX. I might have a TSD Glock 19 to go with my 17 by then. Bob Mayne of the Handgun World Podcast interviewed Gabe and I last night and it should be released soon. There are many points about the RMR addressed in this show.

Top Bottom