• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    From a previous thread, txinvestigator mentioned these guys... Lone Star Medics - Lone Star Medics. Looks like they have something coming up in Bastrop.

I have some of the same items mentioned and it includes quikclot products. I know there's concern about when to use quikclot in a civilian (911 available) environment. Any thoughts on that for inclusion in a civ IFAK?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I have some of the same items mentioned and it includes quikclot products. I know there's concern about when to use quikclot in a civilian (911 available) environment. Any thoughts on that for inclusion in a civ IFAK?

It's definitely only for a severe bleed out, IE gun shot wound, stabbing, major car wreck. If a band-aid or gauze will control the bleeding, use it first. If I remember correctly, there were some concerns about the original run of the quick clot gauze because, I believe, the clotting agent was derived from shellfish. Well, as such, anyone with a shellfish allergy shouldn't use it. However, I believe the current run addressed that issue. If the issue at hand warrants such a product, I would use it first and then worry about an allergic reaction (one reason why I keep benadryl in the pack and would like to get an epipen ... plus the GF is highly allergic to bees/wasps/etc).

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Tourniquet
    Pressure bandage
    2 chest seals - 1 vented
    Strap/clothes cutter
    Z-pack gauze
    Sharpie

it's useless if I don't carry it, so I make it as small and light as possible. It's designed to get me to the ambulance, vehicle or camp where more appropriate supplies are located.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    This reminds me I need to add quick clot to mines.

Don't use quick clot unless it's going to be a long time before medical professionals can arrive. That stuff is a pain in the ass to clean out of a wound, and hospitals hate it lol. If you can't stop the wound without compression, apply a TQ, and let it loose about every 30 seconds, it will keep a clot from forming and at the same time control bleeding.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't use quick clot unless it's going to be a long time before medical professionals can arrive. That stuff is a pain in the ass to clean out of a wound, and hospitals hate it lol. If you can't stop the wound without compression, apply a TQ, and let it loose about every 30 seconds, it will keep a clot from forming and at the same time control bleeding.

Interesting. Thanks!

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Yep, this what my 2 combat medic friends told me as well. I believe the older stuff can cause an allergic reaction too, if you're allergic to shellfish.

Never mind, that's Celox.

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    The older stuff can give you a second degree burn
    I know this is an old thread but i figure i would give an update to what is common practice now instead of quikclot. All you would do is continually pack the wound with guaze now. A large roll of it and pack it until you think its enough or the bleeding has stopped.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom