• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    What's done in class is statistically insignificant in volume and frequency necessary to develop long term subconscious competence with most things. Same concept applies to tactics, mindset, etc. Volume and frequencies that might be seen in a typical 1-5 day class are usually in the ballpark to achieve conscious incompetence(deficient; you know what needs work), or possibly conscious competence(proficient in an inefficient manner). In other words, a few hundred to a few thousand reps within a 1-5 day period. 3 days later, you're awesome. 3 months later, with nothing in between, decidedly less so.

What is that from? I know I've heard those terms before. Do you have a link to something that describes those levels of training or competency?

I recently watched Rob Leatham say "you need to start with just moving the trigger without moving the gun" (call it pressing, squeezing, whatever...the trigger). I had a "lightbulb moment" with that. His point was that all the drawing, aiming, stance, posture, etc means nothing if when you break the shot, the gun moves. So, "easy to say, hard to do" as he said, but it's paramount the student learns that first or else nothing else matters.

So, I'm taking that to heart in my training classes. As an NRA Pistol Instructor, we basically teach the NRA course. While "trigger control" is mentioned, it's not emphasized like that. I also heard a Sig Academy instructor say that nothing that the NRA course teaches matter (not exactly like that) but that position, posture, etc don't matter. It all boils down to where your gun is pointed when it makes that loud noise. So, to that point, I'm restructuring my classes to more emphasize not moving the gun during bang and then building around that. We used to start with "grip, stance, posture, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, recoil management".

Also, to other posters point, I used to shoot my Glock 19 pretty well. I ended up very busy and didn't shoot for 3 months. When I picked up the gun again, my skills went to crap. And, I realized I was correcting for a misfit grip. My 1911 was nearly instinctive to shoot, but I had learned to compensate for the Glock since it didn't fit my hand. And now I carry a 1911. Diminishing skills are real. Watch any real video of shooting encounters. Don't see a lot of "just like in class" executions of skills...cops or civilians.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I generally teach new shooters correct grip first. If it ain't right, nothing is right.
    Stance, is what is balanced and relaxed for that person. If they are balanced and relaxed, they can concentrate on sight alignment and trigger squeeze.
    Then trigger squeeze with an empty chamber or snap caps. Concentrate on a smooth squeeze where nothing moves until it fires. If they need to, bring the gun down in a safe position and start over. Concentrate on one shot at a time, nothing else matters. Just that one shot and making it right.
    Some pick it up quickly. Some not so much. With practice, and confidence, it will get smoother and faster between shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom