• ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ok Mom has a 99' pathfinder and a 90' pop up camper trailer

The pathfinder has a 4 pole basic trailer end (green,yellow,tan(brown), and white(ground)

The camper has a 7 pole box connector, her friends wired an adapter so it would work. Well the problem is the brake lights do not work, nor does the back up lights.
    On a basic trailer pigtail both tail lights can brake and turn blink green and yellow wires. They blink but not brake. Any ideas? Theres just one bulb in each light. Also according to my knowledge for the back up lights to work on a 7 pole connecter there has to be a purple wire correct?

Theres a black box behind one of the panels in the back. Her friend had to by pass the box because it wasnt working something like this.

Standard Motor Products TRAILER CONNECTOR KIT - JCWhitney

So Im thinking I should first check it with a light probe and then If needed replace the connector kit.

Not sure why the brake lights dont work though.
    Guns International

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Brown=running lights
    yellow= left turn
    green=right turn
    white is ground
    I am betting on a bad black box on vehicle.
    The brake signal goes thru the same wires as ts.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The back are basic car bulbs. Yes all running lights work.

TS??? I thought the green wire on the right and the yellow wire left are the power to those two rear tail lights?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You're trying to connect two different wiring harnesses....an' it ain't gonna happen w/o an adapter. Problem is, the truck is set up with the "old style" connections - the brake/turn signal shared the same wire, one that's interupting the brake light circuit to make it "flash". The unit on the camper has a separate circuit for brake and turn signals. They make an adapter box that'll take the 4-lead and convert it to 7-lead. The back-up circuit is a completely separate circuit - to make it function, you need to tap into the reverse lamp power lead.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Yeah what they did was took that 7 pin wierd square box connector and wired to a 5 pole round connector then its mate then wired a 4 pole to it.

Umm red theres not a seperate circuit for brake and turn signal its the same. I checked the wire diagram. Theres no electric brakes. This is 1990 old technology.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, thing is that you have a 7-wire lead....unless someone had previously wired an adapter into the trailer, there'd be no reason for the 7-wire lead. You may need to just do some tracing to see just what they've got going on that trailer. If ya wanna drag it down to New Braunfels, be happy ta lend a hand!

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well I learned something tonight if you have a foreign car in my moms case a Nissan pathfinder it needs a converter box because each tail light has three separate lights. so the brake lights won't work with them. I did bypass the 7 pin on the camper and now has a 4 pole on it. My boss said he will help since he lives near by. Thanks any way red. There have been 4 guys messing with this trailer and I'm the 5th one now.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ok folks UPDATE!

I wired the converter box, the plug end has a led tester on the plug tells you if its wired right and it is.

Ok so I connect it up and both blinkers work, break lights work, but tail lights(running lights) dont. The lights on the car end work I used a volt tester just to be sure yep that connection works. So now im going to peal back some wiring on that brown wire and see if I get a reading from the trailer.

Also before without a box the running lights worked but everything else was weird now with the running lights on nothing works.

Top Bottom