Venture Surplus ad

Total "WTF" moment at the gun show yesterday...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    And whoever says an oil filters resembles the baffles in a suppressor hasn't cut open many oil filters.
    Actually, I have cut open many oil filters on a previous quest to determine what would be best to run on my motorcycles and cars, and to determine that many of them are not as different in particulate collection as the vendors would have one believe, but that is a completely different thread on a different site altogether...lol.

Again, I think the point was pretty clear, but perhaps said better than I previous attempted... is that they "coincidentally" chose to make a solvent/oil catch can out of the one off the shelf item that just happens to include internal components, which produce results and a quasi- similar effect on sound suppression as legal suppressors do... given a form of baffling inside. Why not just use a simple can?

But to your point, I don think anyone would need to cut open anything to understand that an oil filter's internals would not represent anything close to exactly matching any type of a k-stack or mono baffle... :)

While I have not done any testing myself, I would not think the very thin wall of an oil can would stand up to much longterm use with solvents?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    While I have not done any testing myself, I would not think the very thin wall of an oil can would stand up to much longterm use with solvents?

Look, everyone here knows why the damn adaptors exist, regardless of the marketing ploy, so why on earth do you want to continue debating the use of an oil filter as a solvent catch?

But if you must know, one oil filter will last you a lifetime as a solvent catch.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    Look, everyone here knows why the damn adaptors exist, regardless of the marketing ploy, so why on earth do you want to continue debating the use of an oil filter as a solvent catch?

But if you must know, one oil filter will last you a lifetime as a solvent catch.
    Got it - will let it go... appreciate the lively thread...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Until that day one accidentally forgets & leaves it on while firing the gun....:roflfunny:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    My thing with these has always been - how are guys going to get caught using these? Lets say I am out hunting on my lease. I use one of these as a suppressor. Once I am done with it, I simply throw it away, and never have that filter near the gun any other time?

Seriously you cannot think of how folks get caught?

How does a poacher get caught? A game Warden happens to be there when the shot is fired.

Driving to your lease you are in a car accident and taken to hospital. Police tow/inventory your car.

Your friend gets hooked up for DUI, makes deal with prosecutor and trades his DUI for your felony conviction.

However the #1 way folks will get caught is BATFE sees your YouTube/Twitter/Facebook posts bragging about said device and pays you a visit.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Note to self, if ever using an oil can as a suppressor, shoot it full of holes from all sides before leaving so it looks like every other used target on the trash pile.................................

My guess this item is a lot like bump fire stocks, using a rubber band to bump-fire a gun, etc. brings out a lot of emotion from the haters.

It's a piece of metal that can be used for both legal and illegal things (sound like anything else we talk about????), it is up to the user to be cognizant of the difference or face the consequences if caught using it inappropriately.

Apologies - I did not realize that my "WTF" wasn't clear...and thought you were being "snippy" with a simpleton response due to not appreciating my "agenda", that I thought I made VERY obvious by stating that these guys are jeopardizing the rights we are still able to ask permission to enjoy, by pushing the envelope...

I gave you an honest answer to your question (go back and read the thread). If you don't want a simpleton response, don't ask f'n simpleton questions we now know you knew the answer to. Sometimes it is hard to figure out when someone is ignorant and really wants to know or is just being a dick.

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I gave you an honest answer to your question (go back and read the thread). If you don't want a simpleton response, don't ask f'n simpleton questions we now know you knew the answer to. Sometimes it is hard to figure out when someone is ignorant and really wants to know or is just being a dick.
    Mature response... resorting to name calling now?

Not sure how I am 'being a dick'? I provided honest disdain for these idiots openly selling their "solvent catch cans" at the gun show with peaked interest for how they are getting away with it, while at the same time, in my humble opinion putting my rights in jeopardy by doing so...I wasn't shy about my position...

Not even sure why I am going to try to explain this to you, but...

Perhaps you should go back and read the thread... Yes, while at the gun show, I did not know they were selling them as cleaning tools; however, after posting here, I was quickly better informed by others. Why you had to then chime in, on page two, with your 'simpleton' reply is beyond my understanding. And no, it wasn't in response to a simpleton question, it was in response to my skepticism of the true intent of these adaptors.

No need to have an argument, simply place me on your ignore list and don't read my posts.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have reread the thread, and no I did not call you a dick. No name calling here. If you took it that way...........well that is on you.
    I did not refer to you specifically, sorry you took it that way
    20867d1366828209-quick-question-making-windows-8-bootable-uefi-dvd-3476d1350236208t-ics-apk-files-emoticon_rolleyes.gif

My simpleton reply was to a simpleton question, like others after me replied to as well. Still don't know if you can handle complex answers.

I provided honest disdain for these idiots opening selling their "solvent catch cans"

We get that now, at first you sung a different tune. Now we know your agenda, why did you not get to it quicker????

Last edited:

kozmic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2013
    I have reread the thread, and no I did not call you a dick. No name calling here. If you took it that way...........well that is on you.
    I did not refer to you specifically, sorry you took it that way
    20867d1366828209-quick-question-making-windows-8-bootable-uefi-dvd-3476d1350236208t-ics-apk-files-emoticon_rolleyes.gif

My simpleton reply was to a simpleton question, like others after me replied to as well. Still don't know if you can handle complex answers.

We get that now, at first you sung a different tune. Now we know your agenda, why did you not get to it quicker????
    lol... wow...

How many ways can I explain this for you? Initially, I DID NOT know that they were selling them as catch cans... and as explained, I did not hang around their table at the show to find out. I just saw an oil can mounted like a suppressor on an ar-platformed rifle surrounded by a table full of what appeared to be stainless steel thread adaptors much like the ones used to mate real/legal suppressors (not mentioned previously, but that rifle was even set up on a bi-pod, not in some way as to indicate anything like a 'cleaning tool').

Look... if you do not agree with my position so be it... no need to carry on with this nonsense.

Last edited:

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Wow so I've seen those econocan adapters (the actual registered ones) for a while now and at one time contemplated getting one at some point, until I did a bit of research just now. Turns out the $#@!ING OIL FILTER has to be registered too and they only last about 100 rnds (with 223). After that you have to send it back to them and pay $25 for them to throw a new Fram/STP on the end of it. The damn thing basically adds 25c a round to your ammo cost. Can you say total bullshit? Seriously this NFA crap drives me flipping bonkers, especially considering countries that are even more gun rights oppressed than us have a much easier time getting cans. UK and Aus it's a cheap tax stamp and a few weeks wait at most. New Zealand there are NO restrictions on them. Hell in most of those countries having a can is considered "gentlemently" as they put it. And yet we can have silencers on little air pellet rifles all flipping day long. Too bad our politicians have more pressing issues that need to be taken care of before the gun community will even think of pressuring them to start dismantling that archaic bullcrap.

And to think all this BS with silencers started over trying to make it easier to catch poachers during the great depression, but it is now perpetuated as if we would have snipers running around capping people to never be found if we took them off the damn NFA roster (thank you Hollywood with your little pew pew silencers). This shit makes my blood boil to no end. How is it that something that basically just makes a gun safer (and usually not all that darn silent, just quieter sans subsonic rounds) generally speaking is so damn hard to get.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

This kind of BS almost makes me welcome the impending SHTF.

Can't we just suceede already?

/end rant

Where'd you get the idea that just anyone can get a suppressor, much less a firearm to attach it to, that simply? It's damn near impossible to get a handgun permit and just a tad less so to get a hunting rifle in the UK and so-close-to-impossible-you-might-as-well-give-up in Australia.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Seriously you cannot think of how folks get caught?

How does a poacher get caught? A game Warden happens to be there when the shot is fired.

Driving to your lease you are in a car accident and taken to hospital. Police tow/inventory your car.

Your friend gets hooked up for DUI, makes deal with prosecutor and trades his DUI for your felony conviction.

However the #1 way folks will get caught is BATFE sees your YouTube/Twitter/Facebook posts bragging about said device and pays you a visit.

I already have legal cans, so I am not advocating that I would use one, but I just don't see how if someone wasn't right there to catch you in the act of shooting that you would ever get caught. You go hunting, you screw the thing on. If you shoot, you just dump the filter on your walk back to the truck. You don't shoot, you just pull it off. Having the parts together is obviously not a violation of anything...

Also, if you are stupid enough to post something about this on any of those sites or any site for that matter that you actually used one, you probably deserve to get caught.

Top Bottom