Venture Surplus ad

Top 5 things you want or look for in a range.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Texas
    If you go to a range, why do you select the particular range?

#1. Grounds / facility. (Clean, enough stalls, large enough for the amount of people that want to be there.)
    #2. Staff (Friendly, knowledgeable, and SAFE) Not cocky, arrogant, or controlling.
    #3. Training available. (CHL, NRA classes)
    #4. Location, location, location!!! Directions should be short, ranges shouldn't be hidden in the backwoods!
    #5. Price!
    Hurley's Gold

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If you go to a range, why do you select the particular range?

#4. Location, location, location!!! Directions should be short, ranges shouldn't be hidden in the backwoods!
    #5. Price!
    $75 1st yr, $50/yr thereafter and I drive an hour into the woods. Out of the dozen or more times I've been to the club, only ONCE was someone in the area I planned to use.
    Freedom to do movement drills, draw from holster, reactive targets, et al. Find a gun club, not a range.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Safety first and foremost. That kinda goes along with itchin2shoot's comments, obviously the other shooters are a factor but I also look to see how competent the RSOs are and how well the run the range. I look for a balance of control, keep things moving but never allow safety to take a backseat to anything!

Price is secondary, some ranges are ridiculous. If I am asked to pay more, I had better see the return in the facilities and staff.

Lastly, location is not an issue; I am willing to drive for a good range and will go past bad ones to get to it (I would happily drive past the Bullethole to shoot at Blackhawk!).

I am lucky that I am eligible to shoot at Camp Bullis in north SA, you must be a DoD ID card holder but it's definitely worth it if you are. Thirty bucks a year for a beautiful facility, great RSOs, and no worries about the other shooters. If anything, the fact that they are either military, former military (retired like myself) or dependents means you get a better bunch of folks. I regularly let others shoot my guns there if they express an interest, and have had the same offered to me. The only real downsides are it's only open on the weekends and sometimes not even then if there's military training going on; otherwise anyone in SA with a DoD ID card should check it out!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom