• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    It's a miracle that nobody was injured. The customer's granddaughter was firing it when it kaboomed. Beretta just laughed at me when I asked them to warranty it. They won't even return the remains of the gun. They have been ignoring me since April.
    They certainly must have changed their policies at Beretta if they are laughing at you and ignoring you. I currently have nine or ten Beretta pistols; have had several more over the years. Whenever there was a problem, and problems were rare and never included catatrophic failure like the one pictured in the opening post, Beretta always made good even to replacing two of the pistols completely. As for them refusing to return the pistol, I'd get a lawyer on that - one to send them a letter demanding it back. It in essence has been stolen from the owner if they refuse to return it; if it was mine I'd also report them to the ATF. The reason they are not returning it, I think/guess, is likely that the failure was due to a fault with the pistol and they'd rather not return the evidence of that fault to you because a lawyer could probably make big bucks appear because of any fault with the pistol.

One question: You say it was not a sqib caught in the barrel - how do you know that? I would imagine a sqib causing that would have been expelled when the gun blew apart but I am certainly no expert on the dynamics of a gun exploding thus am asking.

As for the ammo used, I'd check with Sellier & Bellot to find out if they have had any recalls on ammo that was faulty. I'd also not use any remaining rounds from that lot of their ammo.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    They certainly must have changed their policies at Beretta if they are laughing at you and ignoring you. I currently have nine or ten Beretta pistols; have had several more over the years. Whenever there was a problem, and problems were rare and never included catatrophic failure like the one pictured in the opening post, Beretta always made good even to replacing two of the pistols completely. As for them refusing to return the pistol, I'd get a lawyer on that - one to send them a letter demanding it back. It in essence has been stolen from the owner if they refuse to return it; if it was mine I'd also report them to the ATF. The reason they are not returning it, I think/guess, is likely that the failure was due to a fault with the pistol and they'd rather not return the evidence of that fault to you because a lawyer could probably make big bucks appear because of any fault with the pistol.

One question: You say it was not a sqib caught in the barrel - how do you know that? I would imagine a sqib causing that would have been expelled when the gun blew apart but I am certainly no expert on the dynamics of a gun exploding thus am asking.

As for the ammo used, I'd check with Sellier & Bellot to find out if they have had any recalls on ammo that was faulty. I'd also not use any remaining rounds from that lot of their ammo.
    Didn’t read the whole thread , didja? ;)

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Then quit blaming the OP.
    It's a manufacturer issue. But they sent out a note. :banana:
    I've met the OP.
    He wouldn't remember me, but that's irrelevant.
    I know he's just trying to warn some people.
    He stands nothing to gain from this experience.

Well, it is op's (well, OP's, customer's fault) for shooting +p+ through a gun not meant to handle it. OP says as much in his first post.

I don't know of a single firearm capable of handling a 23% increase in pressure from what the manual states the gun can safely shoot.

I'm not accusing him of trying to gain anything here

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If this was caused by a faulty barrel, then it's on them. If it was caused by the design not being able to handle that particular load, then they are selling something that could hurt people. People will continue to make this mistake. Anyone would assume factory ammo through that gun would be fine.
    I'm inclined to think it is a faulty barrel. Like I was saying earlier, the barrel isn't the known weak part on these guns. When people run too hot of ammo it damages the frame and slide, and it's not as catastrophic of a failure.

Of course since non-recommended ammo was used, it gives them an out to not do anything about it.

SpenceNaz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2021
    Krum
    Just in case anyone is interested, they actually responded to me on twitter of all places. They said their gunsmith's notes said the failure was due to the ammunition used. So I guess that confirms that using ammo that goes over the ft/lbs recommended CAN potentially cause catastrophic failure in addition to the cracked frames. Just something to be aware of I guess. (Unless the barrel was bad and they don't want to fess up to it)

On an unrelated note, I really want to add a 950 Minx .22short to my collection. I did repair work on one a year or two ago, and test-firing it was so fun.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Just in case anyone is interested, they actually responded to me on twitter of all places. They said their gunsmith's notes said the failure was due to the ammunition used. So I guess that confirms that using ammo that goes over the ft/lbs recommended CAN potentially cause catastrophic failure in addition to the cracked frames. Just something to be aware of I guess. (Unless the barrel was bad and they don't want to fess up to it)

On an unrelated note, I really want to add a 950 Minx .22short to my collection. I did repair work on one a year or two ago, and test-firing it was so fun.
    Did your customer try to contact Beretta, or was it just you?

Some companies (including Beretta apparently) don't like dealing through a third party

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    They are awesome little guns
    IMG_4090.jpeg

HarryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Annetta, TX
    I'm an FFL and one of my customers bought this gun. His granddaughter was firing it when this happened. It's honestly a miracle that nobody was injured. He was shooting S&B ammo, which exceeds Beretta's foot pound recommendation. However, using the wrong ammo will typically only result in damage to the frame, not make the gun friggin explode. Beretta won't do anything about it, so I just want to share this wherever I can.
    I have a Beretta Model 21A .25ACP. “Bobcat”. Years ago, while shooting recreationally with several detectives and a Firearms Examiner from our agency’s crime lab, my 15yo son asked to shoot the Bobcat. He fired two shots and stopped, saying “Something hit me!” I ran up and took control of the pistol and checked him out. He was okay, but I noticed the firing pin was missing. I located it at his feet, in the dirt. At my first opportunity, I contacted Beretta and explained what happened. The person on the other end of the line told me “That is impossible.” He also claimed he could not locate my firearm’s serial number in his database. I had the pistol repaired, but I’m reluctant to shoot it!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yes, I thought I had read it all. Did I miss something?
    It would seem you missed where he explained that Beretta says not to use certain ammo because it is too hot and S&B exceeds Beretta’s pressure threshold.

No reason to contact S&B about their ammo being out of spec.

smax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I had a Tomcat a looong time ago. I put a couple boxes of that same S&B ammo though it and the frame cracked. Luckily not catastrophically, we caught it quickly enough to know to stop shooting.

Beretta replaced it with a new Inox version, and I promptly traded it in for a different gun. Been shooting SIGs ever since.

Top Bottom