Patriot Mobile

To ship a rifle From my FFL-- don't totally wrap (?), because the Serial # must be seen for the FFL transfer--to ship...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    No longer are personal rifles being accepted by Fedex/UPS facilities, even for Long guns (rifles). And I'm not interested in using USPS.

Therefore I'll use my normal gun shop.
    The 'catch' is that if we totally cover the gun with bubble wrap, then seal the rifle's inner gun case in outer cardboard (+ tape everything), the gun store staff will Not be able to examine the rifle for the required FFL transfer.

Recent changes to ATF rules cause this., but these new regs are Not the topic--
    --only how to efficiently present the rifle for the shop's staff, without Delaying All of the packaging process. Does this make sense? It's sort of a Catch 22, it seems.
    Capitol Armory ad

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    lightflyer1:

Thanks. A guy at AKfiles says that he has taken rifles to his FFL and wrapped everything with bubble, except that he leaves the receiver exposed.

As for a shipping label and determining the cost, do gun shops normally print a label and also look up the shipping charge- while you wait?

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    You have to discuss that with your ffl. I don't know what their procedures are. Simple to go online though and arrange it if needed.

mountainbull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    montana
    I have received several c&r shotguns and rifles, about half put the long gun in a soft gun case then any needed packing around that.
    10 to 15$ for the case and super easy to package

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Shipping it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Lonesome Dave: but the 'rub' is when needing a gun smith, and when those in one's home area aren't specialized with a given gun type.

I sold about twelve guns via Armslist TN, in various parking lots, and it was so easy. But the guns required no gunsmithing.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Apparently, the USPS form 1508 is required to be filled out Only for handguns and parts, and is Only used by FFLs, manufacturers, repair shops, who ship Handguns and such parts.

One of the USPS (or related) pages states that a gun (any gun) must be removed from a heavily taped-up box to verity that it is Not loaded?

I've never seen so many contradictions and interpretations about what should be fairly simple.

Confused......again....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No longer are personal rifles being accepted by Fedex/UPS facilities, even for Long guns (rifles). And I'm not interested in using USPS.

The 'catch' is that if we totally cover the gun with bubble wrap, then seal the rifle's inner gun case in outer cardboard (+ tape everything), the gun store staff will Not be able to examine the rifle for the required FFL transfer.

--only how to efficiently present the rifle for the shop's staff, without Delaying All of the packaging process. Does this make sense? It's sort of a Catch 22, it seems.

No ATF rules on shipping have changed. FEDEX/UPS changed their rules last year.

Apparently, the USPS form 1508 is required to be filled out Only for handguns and parts, and is Only used by FFLs, manufacturers, repair shops, who ship Handguns and such parts.

One of the USPS (or related) pages states that a gun (any gun) must be removed from a heavily taped-up box to verity that it is Not loaded?

I've never seen so many contradictions and interpretations about what should be fairly simple.

Confused......again....

Correct PS1508 is only for FFLs to fill out. It is for any firearm. NO USPS has every checked my firearms to be unloaded.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    My FAL L1A1 rifle Is already In "the hands" of USPS.

A buddy who is a Kitchen Table 01 FFL was convinced (today) that the ATF's language also prohibits a Non-FFL owner from sending a Long Gun via USPS.

The ATF language about using USPS ---seems--- to prohibit any gun - unless Both shipper and recipient are FFLs.

There is something weird about that, and maybe it was intentional (?) distortion/disinformation created during the Presidency of a Gun-Grabber.

>>>>>> One main point if you use this method: If needed, Slowly, Calmly & Patiently explain that shipping a Rifle out of state to a Gun Smith Is Not a Change of Ownership (Transfer)...it will start to sink in....sort of....

Many or possibly most postal clerks don't even know that you can ship a long gun.:confused:
    Today the desk clerk who served me went behind the door to chat with his Supervisor, and the desk clerk was well into middle age..........

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A buddy who is a Kitchen Table 01 FFL was convinced (today) that the ATF's language also prohibits a Non-FFL owner from sending a Long Gun via USPS.

The ATF language about using USPS ---seems--- to prohibit any gun - unless Both shipper and recipient are FFLs.

ATF does not regulate USPS, USPS does. Read USPS regulations.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

1. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Renegade:

You are the only person whose comments explain that the ATF does Not regulate USPS". I sent that to the guy who is a "Kitchen Table 001 FFL".

And this will be very handy to remember for assisting other people.

Well-done.:)

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Place your bets on changes, which we will not like, to USPS policy on shipping guns and gun parts.

A little on recent activity at the USPS board of governors.

The President ( Potato Head) has now chosen 5 new members to the board of governors.

Postmaster General, Mr. DeJoy, a Trump campaign megadonor and former business executive, has been mired in controversy over cost-cutting measures. The Postmaster general can be removed only by the board of governors. Its 5 to 4 now.

The board of governors and Postmaster general promulgate the rules.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    V-Tach: My plea is guilty. I didn't know that the USPS could have its own regs on gun shipping.

A kitchen-table 01 FFL I know (he's an A-220 captain commuting to LGA/JFK) also thought that the ATF was in charge.
    I'm a bit surprised, with his background as Check Airman (these guys know a lot) on the Canadair jet, that he didn't know this about the USPS, but he primarily only ships guns To his home.

He grew up, through university age, between London and Canterbury UK, where "federal law" (Crown) apparently is dominant.

Last edited:

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

Good to know. Right now in the process of shipping rifle back to manufacturer for warranty repair. My preferred FFL to ship gun won't provide mfg his FFL documentation which the mfg requires before providing their FFL documentation. Stand off silly. :rocket: :facepalm::bomb:

So looking for another FFL nearby. Local indoor shooting range says they will do it but not sure they are up to speed on process. More news later.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Good to know. Right now in the process of shipping rifle back to manufacturer for warranty repair. My preferred FFL to ship gun won't provide mfg his FFL documentation which the mfg requires before providing their FFL documentation. Stand off silly. :rocket: :facepalm::bomb:

So looking for another FFL nearby. Local indoor shooting range says they will do it but not sure they are up to speed on process. More news later.

MFG is outside the scope of the law here.

Sender is not required to provide FFL, but is required to verify recipient FFL.

Does MFG not allow you to send it direct via USPS? That would be the best option.

Top Bottom