Join TexasGunTalk

Tipton Best Gun Vise - Quick 2 Day Poll

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Glenn B, Apr 4, 2020.

If you have used a Tipton Best Gun Vise What Do You Think Of It?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2020.
  1. Excellent vise, securely holds the gun while you get just about any job done, well worth the money.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Good and decent vise for light repairs, maintenance, cleaning, scope mounting. I recommend it.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Not impressed, mediocre quality, do not recommened it. If I have another my recommendation is below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cheaply made piece of junk, I recommend not buying it. If I have another my recommendation is below.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Tipton Vises are okay and recommend the Tipton Ultra Gun Vise instead of the Tipton Best Gun Vise.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. I can't make up my frigging mind!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    I am thinking of purchasing a Tipton Best Gun Vise for use doing general maintenance, cleaning, scope mounting, minor repairs on my long guns. Just want to get some feedback on them from others who have used them. Hopeful, with all the thousands of members on this site, some of you have used them and will share your experience with them.

Poll is only for two days though because I need to get something pretty quickly.

Thanks.

2. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Mine is the cheapest Tipton vice. I had to look @ what their best was and I do not see it worth the price. I do have a H&K specific gun cradle that is cheaply built & I use it over the Tipton for the H&K's

Glenn B likes this.
  3. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Don’t expect to Slap a lower in it and start wrenching, but it does the job for what you want to do.

The wheeler delta series lower vise will fit in lieu of the included channel rest; by the time you add that in, you might as well go with the ultra.

Glenn B likes this.
  5. cvgunman

cvgunman Active Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Have used a few different Tipton models as well as MTM and others. Always seemed to go back to a vise with soft rubber vise jaws. For AR's would use the Magpul magblock.

Glenn B likes this.
  6. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Active Member

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Have had one for a while...

It's not bad and has held up well, though I pretty much only use it for mounting/leveling optics.

ETA: as previously mentioned, don't expect for a second that it'll hold something in place under force, that's not what it's made for...

These are great, just need the appropriate magwell/receiver block(s)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DB32SBN/

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Glenn B and digger like this.
  7. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I started with a Tipton Gun Butler, then went to the “Best” Gun Vise, then I traded that to a buddy to get the regular Tipton Gun Vise. If I was in the market right now, I’d just go ahead and get the Ultimate Gun Vise. FYI, if you have limited work space on your bench, that bastard is always in way. I have found the best place for it when not in use is on top of my ammo locker’

upload_2020-4-4_14-21-29.jpeg

Glenn B, toddnjoyce and CyberWolf like this.
  8. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Mine went into the garage. Might go into the trash if & when we move.

Glenn B likes this.
  9. Glenn B

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    A wide range of responses so far, thanks. Hope to get some more before deciding. For now, like I said, I just need something for maintenance, light basic repairs, scope mounting. I really don't have anywhere to mount a heavy iron vise so am looking at these. I think right now I am leaning more toward the ultra which I only found after writing up the poll and then added that as the last choice in the poll. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

10. Glenn B

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    I just checked on Amazon. I can get the Tipton Ultra Gun Vise for a grand total of $104.85 (tax included, free shipping and after use of my paltry $14.71 in rewards points). I must say, a couple of videos I watched on Youtube made it seem worth it over the Tipton Best Gun Vise. A comparison of the videos between the Ultra and the Best (the one I was originally interested in) kind of confirmed my suspicion that the plastic body of the Best is somewhat flimsy but the plastic on the Ultra is thicker and stronger. Me and my procrastinating psyche: While I am thinking the deal on the Ultra is very tempting, I guess I'll wait for some more feedback from you guys.