• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarlS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2023
    Austin
    I've never really seen a point in 22wmr. I'd use 5.56 for anything 22lr isn't enough for. 22wmr costs almost as much as 5.56 so when I get a Tippmann m4 pistol it will be 22lr.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I've never really seen a point in 22wmr. I'd use 5.56 for anything 22lr isn't enough for. 22wmr costs almost as much as 5.56 so when I get a Tippmann m4 pistol it will be 22lr.
    1. You don't know what you don't know.
    2. There are major differences between 22lr, 22WMR, and 223/5.56 when hunting is involved.
    3. 22WMR is going for ~30cents/rd. 5.56 is ~50cents/rd. I wouldn't call that "almost as much".
    4. Part of the assignment is to take suppression into account. 22WMR is a lot cheaper and easier to suppress.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    1. You don't know what you don't know.
    2. There are major differences between 22lr, 22WMR, and 223/5.56 when hunting is involved.
    3. 22WMR is going for ~30cents/rd. 5.56 is ~50cents/rd. I wouldn't call that "almost as much".
    4. Part of the assignment is to take suppression into account. 22WMR is a lot cheaper and easier to suppress.
    22wmr is going to make noise with or without a supressor. I've kinda got the 22wmr bug lately but can't justify it. I'm with Carl when it comes to practicality.

CarlS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2023
    Austin
    I should have stressed that 22mag seems a middle ground that doesn't help me in particular and probably most shooters. I know most internet gun discussions polarize participants into 2 extreme camps (subject is the best vs worthless). However, this was not my intent and I understand 22mag comes in handy for some.

Admittedly, I missed the suppression aspect. I more questioned the utility of putting the caliber in an AR.

I have velocitors for small varmints out to 50m, 223 for past that. I guess 22mag works well from 50m to 100m.

Upon further inspection the cost of 22mag is half that of 223 so I may have exaggerated that aspect. Same price as 9mm though so I assume most would agree with me in preferring to plink or casually hunt targets of opportunity on my property with a PCC.

Last edited:

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    I have a couple of 22 WMR rifles, Henry lever and an Rossi RS-22. Would love the new one but don't really need it [who has heard that one?]. I bought a ton of it years ago and will likely never need to buy any more.

Top Bottom