• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    So, im 27 (maybe 28, i stopped counting at 21) and ive always wanted to ride. recently i wanted to pick something up that got better gas mileage then my 15mpg SUV. I thought about getting a Miata, or an older MR2 (AW11) or possibly going the weird route and getting a 200SX (S12). But then i figured, why not get a motorcycle?

buy something cheap, used and not full of POWWWWEEEERRRRR!!!!!!! and id be fine. Easy right?

WRONG!!!!!

See, i have a disability in my right hand.

thats me in this picture :ohnoes: (i was 20-ish).
    http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/medium/P1100047.jpg

I went to HD today and talked with the salesman who works part time at my mothers office, he let me sit on some bikes to get a feel for the handle bar placement and stuff and i got to sit on the buell blast training bike. i probably coulda got more infor but the training class wasnt in session when we were there. i also talked with a mechanic who has done some work with the wounded warriors program. Unfortunately, he hadnt done anything for right arm disabilities so he was just as lost as i was for ideas.

i think a thumb throttle would work. and also some google-fu came up with a dual lever foot brake that runs on 2 independent master cylinders. i know there would be pros/cons to this set-up, but it seems to be the best solution.

9DcL4.jpg

im starting to wonder if i should buy a "project" bike off craiglist for cheap and build it from there.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or maybe an idea on somewhere i can contact for help or maybe a disabled riders forum? im thinking about signing up at HDforums and making this exact same thread to see what happens over there.
    DK Firearms

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My cousin lost his right arm and leg in a boating accident several years back. Subsequent to that, he decided he wanted to ride a m/c. He rigged up a TON of stuff (and did a REALLY nice job of it) - so if you'd like, holler an' I'll get you his contact info. He lives right down the street from me here in NB.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had a friend named Vern who lost one arm in a shotgun accident. The guy was always rigging up accommodated equipment and even shot compound bows.

Linked brake systems are very common. In fact, the Gold Wing has the right brake pedal that operates the rear brake and one front disk, The other front disk is operated by the right hand lever. You can do without the second brake disk so 1/2 of your problem is solved there.

Now about that thumb throttle.............

Good luck with it!

Flash

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    My cousin lost his right arm and leg in a boating accident several years back. Subsequent to that, he decided he wanted to ride a m/c. He rigged up a TON of stuff (and did a REALLY nice job of it) - so if you'd like, holler an' I'll get you his contact info. He lives right down the street from me here in NB.

that would be great. maybe an email address or something to start a communication line.

I had a friend named Vern who lost one arm in a shotgun accident. The guy was always rigging up accommodated equipment and even shot compound bows.

Linked brake systems are very common. In fact, the Gold Wing has the right brake pedal that operates the rear brake and one front disk, The other front disk is operated by the right hand lever. You can do without the second brake disk so 1/2 of your problem is solved there.

Now about that thumb throttle.............

Good luck with it!

Flash

i noticed that while doing google stuffs. there was even an old post from like 2007 i came across where someone suggested just losing the rear brake all together. but that doesnt seem to safe.

the thumb throttle is the only thing i can think of on that. my only worry is it being uncomfortable after long rides. but i would just have to get used to it.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    anyone have any ideas for cruiser style begginer bikes to look at that can be had for cheap used? my budget is like $1500 for the bike. im poor.

im currently looking into the Buell Blast (same one used in HD Riders Edge) and a Suzuki GS500. But im not into sport bikes, and id prefer a cruiser for comfort over long hill country rides. Im not looking into hauling ass and cornering like a boss, just something that will get me back and forth to work and not chug the gas, and at the same time will allow me to do roadtrips like i did today through Hondo/Tarpley/Bandera and be comfortable.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    About themthumb throttle ... why? Seems a left handed twist throttle would free up your thumb for controls like starter, signals, high beam, horn which you will need access to. Just something to think about

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    About themthumb throttle ... why? Seems a left handed twist throttle would free up your thumb for controls like starter, signals, high beam, horn which you will need access to. Just something to think about

crossed my mind to that. im just not sure how comfortable or easy it would be to operate the clutch and a twist throttle. maybe it would be easy, but since ive never ridden before, i honestly wouldnt know.

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    anyone have any ideas for cruiser style begginer bikes to look at that can be had for cheap used? my budget is like $1500 for the bike. im poor.

im currently looking into the Buell Blast (same one used in HD Riders Edge) and a Suzuki GS500. But im not into sport bikes, and id prefer a cruiser for comfort over long hill country rides. Im not looking into hauling ass and cornering like a boss, just something that will get me back and forth to work and not chug the gas, and at the same time will allow me to do roadtrips like i did today through Hondo/Tarpley/Bandera and be comfortable.

My first bike was a Suzuki Savage. It is a single cylinder 650. It has about 50 horsepower and gets up and goes pretty well. You can find them on cycletrader for about your price range. They are very reliable and good on gas. The only downfall is that they are pretty light (350lbs ish) so strong winds are a PITA when riding around.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Something also to consider is an automatic transmission (Ridley makes bikes with them for example). They are out there and it would free up your strong side to add a brake lever if you liked, or put the throttle over there. Your advantage seems to be you don't have any built in habits that would make controls in non-standard configurations uncomfortable or hard to adjust to.

I bet an independent cycle shop would work closely with you to get it set up for you.

Heck, call Austin Speed Shop and see if it's a project Jesse James would want to tackle. The cause might be something he would bite on.

Good Luck,

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    My first bike was a Suzuki Savage. It is a single cylinder 650. It has about 50 horsepower and gets up and goes pretty well. You can find them on cycletrader for about your price range. They are very reliable and good on gas. The only downfall is that they are pretty light (350lbs ish) so strong winds are a PITA when riding around.
    yea, i was looking at Savages last night even the S40. looks like im looking at Savages, S40s, Rebels, Ninja 250's and the Buell Blast.

Something also to consider is an automatic transmission (Ridley makes bikes with them for example). They are out there and it would free up your strong side to add a brake lever if you liked, or put the throttle over there. Your advantage seems to be you don't have any built in habits that would make controls in non-standard configurations uncomfortable or hard to adjust to.

I bet an independent cycle shop would work closely with you to get it set up for you.

Heck, call Austin Speed Shop and see if it's a project Jesse James would want to tackle. The cause might be something he would bite on.

Good Luck,

I heard about the Ridleys, but i dont know how cheap they are on the used market. i havent seen any on CL except for a "custom" one that was like 6k. A buddy of mine told me to check out Hondamatics as well, but those dont seem like my cup of tea, plus they are hard to find.

Funny you mention Jesse James, i was talking with my mother about this last night and she said the same thing. Unfortunately, unless he works for free, i doubt i could afford even an hour of his time at his rates.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Also - check the Honda Shadow. Great reliable bike that holds value.

was looking into those, but they dont fall into my price range. I honestly think im going to go with a Suzuki Savage. They have been making them for awhile and they are in my price range, and they are the exact styling im looking for. I keep picturing me driving down the street with one that has an OD green paint job and flat black accents with an exhaust wrap.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Watch Craigslist for a bike.

Top Bottom