• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    We all know how secure that "secure storage locations" are....
    Wow, you must be omniscient if you know how secure are all of my storage locations or what type of secure locations I use. Granted, even if I had them secured in Fort Knox, they would not be free of the potential to be stolen or damaged by some calamity but to say what you said is a bit of a stretch.:)
    I bought some Ballistol a few years ago and still have it. The weird smell just turned me off.
    If you were closer, I'd give you the bottle.
    Yep Ballistol has an unpleasant stink to it for sure, at least when I get a whiff of it. Some folks swear by it but I swear at it. Years ago, in fact decades ago, my brother bought me three bottles of gun cleaning liquids (could have been two but think it was three): one was a fouling solvent, another was oil and the purpose of the third (if indeed there was a third) I do not recall. I do remember it was manufactured in Vermont, the solvent was clear colorless liquid and that it had a very pleasant lemony aroma. I also remember it cleaned guns amazingly well. I do not recall the name, wish I could bring it to mind so I could find out if it is still made and if so purchase more of it.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    To each their own but I think some people clean their guns too much. If guns are going into storage, then by all means, give them the white glove treatment; otherwise, a wipe down after use and a field strip/clean every once in a while should be sufficient.

Hoppes will always be a nostalgic favorite but I have almost completely switched over to CLP. With that said, I still use Hoppes for gloss blued steel and walnut classics.

***more power to you if you get a kick out of white gloving your firearms after every range trip. My dad was like that. I think he enjoyed being left alone while he was cleaning too.
    When it comes to most guns that I use, meaning those for self-defense and those for hunting and plinking, I like to keep in mind what a brother agent told me when we both had collateral duties as firearms instructors: A clean gun is a happy gun. I believe it is especially important to keep self-defense weapons cleaned and otherwise well maintained. That other agent's way of maintaining his self-defense guns was: Shoot them, clean them, then test fire them (guess what came next). He shot up lots of ammo that way but we got it for free often by the case or three. I miss free ammo but now that I am long retired I would not go back to work just to get it.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Wait , you mean we’re supposed to clean them ?
    IMG_7185.jpeg

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    That's one I've never heard of before.
    I've been using Slip 2000 cleaner, oil, and lube for a few years now.
    I used to be a distributor and it is very popular out west (it’s made in Utah)

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Kinda a two part cleaning story.
    Back at Christmas 2023 we were fortunate enough to have all our kids and grandchildren together at one time.
    All have been gifted their first several firearms from early ages but now have reach the time to lighten Pops load.
    A couple were off limits and several they just have to wait wait until I die per NFA but mostly open the doors and pick what you want. 32 firearms were selected to be delivered to Indiana in early June. That inadvertently started the safe clean out and total firearms cleaning adventure.
    Most all of those were already clean but safe queens or stash firearms somewhere but all got top to bottom cleaning and lubricated. All were delivered in June as planned.
    In July I had an accident and broke foot. Damn wheel cart is my mode of transportation for about 5 weeks.
    Well I do manage to get some things done. The remainder of my firearms collection cleaned. I don’t remember the last time all firearms I owned were clean at the same time.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Today, I am going to start cleaning my firearms. I only have a few in my apartment, the others are in four different secure storage locations. You may not keep all of your eggs in one basket, I do not keep all of my guns at one location, I think less likely they are to all be stolen. I'll probably pick up some of those others up later and continue on them as well, once I finish the ones in my abode.
    I am THE Great Procrastinator, I stated this thread in June of this year. In the time since then, I have cleaned about 4 or 5 firearms give or take one or two. However, this evening, I went to my storage locations and picked up all of the long guns that were not already in my apartment. That was about 16 out of 21 or so if I counted right and kept a proper inventory. I brought them home and will clean them starting tomorrow, that I want to accomplish in its entirety by Sunday. That way, I will have a blank schedule for things to do this coming week. If I actually get that done, I am thinking a road trip of a few days will be in order commencing on Tuesday. I'd like to go to see Antique Archaeology, of American Pickers fame, in Iowa or their other place in TN. I'd like to see, in person what they have in stock and would like to see if they'd maybe like to buy a few items I might bring with me. Of course, it would be nice to meet Mike and Danielle, especially Danielle as I think her quite interesting to say the least. It would make a nice road trip of a few to several days. It may or may not happen next week but if not then almost definitely at a future date. I do not really have a bucket list but if I did this would be on it.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    3 in one oil was/is excellent stuff. I used to use it frequently to lubricate firearms (I usually do not clean them with oil even if claimed to be a CLP, I prefer something that dissolves lead and other fouling and strips the old oil then lube them when finished cleaning). I must say though, three in one oil was the oil of choice for many of my applications that needed lubrication over the years; I would not hesitate to use it on my guns now if out of Gunzilla & Break Free CLP which usually are my go to cleaners and lubricants nowadays. I have also used Hoppes & WD40 butWD40 was only very briefly a favorite as I found it sometimes seemed to gunk things up to the point of forming a less than lubricating almost sticky film on metal parts. Anyway, that would be okay with me if others were unavailable; I'd just refresh it more often. Yet, I never had the same effect with Gunzilla or Break Free CLP which seem to never get sticky in my experience.

Last edited:

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom