• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    While I was at the fire academy my truck started leaking just about every fluid possible. Stuff like this has been happening more and more with my dodge, I take care of it but it still happens and now it's happening on a more frequent basis. So after 11 years I think it's time to retire the old girl.

I'm currently looking at a 03 diesel f250 crew cab. I know ford has had some issues with the 6.0 powerstroke but what can you guys tell me about the 6.0?

I don't plan on modding the truck a whole lot probably just a mpg tune and exhaust. This is the truck in question it's an 03 f250 crew cab with 131k miles for $17k.

a693481e-b86b-21f1.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    $17k is too much for that truck. How much do you want/need the lift? That truck has 35in Nitto Mud Grapplers which I guarantee you are already loud as hell. To replace them is another $1500; or $1000 if you put on some friendlier all-terrains.

For $17k you can find a mint, low-miles 7.3 F250 CCSB 4x4. Or for a lot less money you could get anything with the 7.3, which is what I would do if you're already looking at trucks as old as an 03. (The 7.3 was still available in 2003.)

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Everyone wants the 7.3. They don't have near the problems but it'll add about $3k to the price.

Ford came out with a 100k warranty on the 6.0 for a reason.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Unless you're gonna tow trailers a lot, I'd avoid the diesel period. I'm a number cruncher, and have looked at ROI of diesel's - and for a highway truck w/o towing trailers routinely, it's NOT worth it in any way, shape or form - and I say that owning both an F150 AND an F450. Onle reason for the 450 (diesel) is that I routinely haul a 2500 lb payload in it, plus it's got a pretty heavy utility bed - and findin' an F450 w/gas engine is dang nigh impossible.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Used to drive an F-450 with the V10 and a 6speed there is a very good reason damn thing cant get out of its own way :-( my daily driver is an 2005 Dodge Cummins and a 6sp had some issues being a used truck paid for them :-( now its reliable daily driver though. Your correct if I had a chance to do it again I'd buy an old K5 Blazer from some little old man and pocket the money I paid for the diesel.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    A heavy duty truck with a gasser is pointless. Sure a gasser may work in a 1/2ton but put it in a 8000+ truck and it just doesn't work.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    A heavy duty truck with a gasser is pointless. Sure a gasser may work in a 1/2ton but put it in a 8000+ truck and it just doesn't work.

My old shop truck was a dually with a 350. It worked fine for my purposes. It’s pretty flat around here and I usually only hauled one or two cars a month.

I wouldn't have bought it normally but it practically fell in my lap.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by alexrex20

My old shop truck was a dually with a 350. It worked fine for my purposes. It’s pretty flat around here and I usually only hauled one or two cars a month.
    I wouldn't have bought it normally but it practically fell in my lap.

Yeah...........
    It's a wonder we ever got grain to the elevator, cotton to the gin, cows to auction........
    I just don't know how we survived without a big belching diesel.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I tow trailers and boats regularly. After looking at all the issues with the 6.0 I think I'll pass. I'll either find a 7.3 powerstroke or I'll stick with dodge and get a cummins.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    What are the details on the Dodge???

been thinking about looking for a basically drivetrain donor for a 38' Dodge dually stake side bed done up a little rat rod style...

Top Bottom