• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I've been avoiding it for awhile now but I suppose its time to get one together. I'm starting from scratch with nothing so lets start from the ground up. So talk to me folks what should a bob be composed of?
    Texas SOT

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I am thinking first and foremost, a bag.

But seriously....I have been looking into it as well, and have read various opinions on this. It seems some people feel going with a mil-spec style OD or black tactical looking bag will be the same as painting a target on your back to people who aren't prepared. I have been wondering about some of the framed hiking bags. Wanting something that isn't a "Hey look at me, I got stuff" style, but can carry a good amount of stuff....I have even seen them that have the main part and a bag that can be removed to carry a smaller amount. I would think that would be good for an emergency bag attachment for a day worth of stuff that attaches to the bigger BOB with items to sustain for a longer period of time.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    I guess what I really need is a truck bag, just enough to get home and get to my stash.

That would be great if you could get your truck back home. I know it sounds extreme, but everything Ive read on prepper sites is that when the shtf, you might as well forget your P.O.V being any real use to you unless its lifted and built for heavy off-roading. Otherwise the roads will probably be blockaded, or jammed up. Our bug out kit contains 2 ATV's that will be better suited to get us out of the shit storm and to high ground in a hurry.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Too many people in my neck of the woods, and if the last hurricane evacuation is any indication of how screwed up bugging out will be, I'm just going to stay put.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    On the other hand. I am plotting and planning for my next vehicle. Either a jeep or 4runner. 4wd and lift are mandatory requirements. I'm do sick of having to put my Chevy half ton on ramps to change the oil. My last truck was a toyota Tacoma 4x4 and I could slide under it laying on my side. Damn I miss that truck.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Roger that. It's either a 2012 jeep or go back to the models with the straight six.

Really, I think I've settled on the 4runner. I know the quality and durability is there.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Any special requirements as to the bag itself?? I would assume more pockets the better.

Preferably a sturdy backpack with decent room and a good amount of pockets and comfortable. I used to have an old Alice pack but it was way to uncomfortable.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    That would work. I was gonna run up to ctd today anyway. My goal for today is to get 2 chapters done before I go out into the world.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    8 foot bed and my tool box doesn't lock some dirt bag drilled the locks Plus I Have had way to much stuff stolen out of the bed of my truck, the only thing that resides back there is trash. Side note A few years back I caught a guy in the back of my truck stealing all my dr. Pepper cans he almost got the crap beat out him.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I got my bag in the mail today, now what the heck do I put in it?

It's a 5.11 rush 72. It's huge, lots of space so big in fact I may have to go buy a new tool box for my truck and keep it in there. I chose black because it was the least tactical color choice, if it wasn't for the molle all over it it would look just like a hiking pack.

a6cd0836-40ec-66a1.jpg

nguyen925

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    sugar land
    Start with the basics:
    Water - hand filter (http://www.rei.com/product/695265/msr-miniworks-ex-water-filter) read that one was good. I saw on youtube that someone was using the bags inside baby bottles for water containers. maybe a few water bottles

MRE's and or Protein bars, good enough for 72 hours. (food)

First Aid Kit - antibiotics, bandages (4x4), tylenol, asprin, waterproof tape, maybe a tourniquet deal for massive trauma in case 911 is not an option.

Clothes/Accessories - Sunglasses, hat, jacket, long pants (depending on what you're preparing for), gloves, socks. I'd definitely include a thermal blanket in there somewhere, it's small, light and easy to pack. Small towel?

Weapons/Safe defense/tools - Radio, Flashlight (backup batteries) Gun/ammo, a pump pellet gun (ammo is cheap, easy to transport and quiet/can be used for hunting if needed?), compass (?), Map of Texas/US, Magnifying glass (for fire starting if needed), Waterproof matches, magnesium fire starter, dry tinder. Maybe a good pocket knife, filet knife, and a good knife to have OWB. String saw, rechargeable batteries for radio/flashlight.

Hygiene - Not completely necessary but.. A few bars of soap, hand sanitizer, Fork/Knife/spoon multitool (http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Tool-Knife-Spoon-Opener/dp/B002ZVZB5Q),

I'd also include a whistle, metal cup (for boiling water), fish hook + paracord, binoculars, seeds (for planting if it really comes to that). I'd also get a backpack with a solar charger to maybe charge a GPS or batteries for a radio for communication.

Pretty new to this prep stuff, but I think that list covers the basics. I would definitely wonder what your preparing for as well, it's always best to prepare for an event specifically, rather than overall (IMO). Good luck though and keep us updated on what you decide to put in your bag!

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I like the rush series. Currently I use one as my hunting bag. I will be buying another one shortly. Also like at the Moab add ons. They are smaller sling style bags the attach onto the rush bags.

Top Bottom