• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Looking to add to the stable with a dedicated hammer fired DA/SA 9mm double stack for my office and looking at various options. Will just be a home protection/range pistol, so capacity over carry and no worries about concealability, weight, etc. Would consider a minimum of 15-round mag capacity, but prefer 17 and up. Like to stay $600 or less retail (seem to be some good buys on the CZ P-07 and P-09 sub $500 new as examples) but would consider $800+ range for something really special, whether new or secondhand. But it's just going to be used as described, not a competition shooter. Here are the usual brand suspects I've thought about that have DA/SA offerings:

Beretta
    CZ
    Sig
    HK
    Springfield

And on the Beretta, even though I'm a huge fan, I do already have two PX4 Storm pistols, the standard compact and the full size in Inox, which is another house gun. I absolutely love them both but would like some variety and don't want to add a third, though would consider something from the renowned Beretta 92/M9 line, which I don't currently own.

Any thoughts on specific pistols recommended or brands I'm overlooking are appreciated!
    Take a look at the Bersa TPR series. They are an all metal, hammer fired option that is often overlooked. They are an affordable and highly reliable brand of pistol. Took a class with a TPR full size and it never missed a beat through a case of ammo. Until my last fishing trip on the river, I was carrying a TPR 9c as an EDC.

Last edited:

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    A DA trigger, a nice one, is going to be the single most accurate trigger you'll ever shoot.

You're not going to turn a semi DA/SA into a tuned S&W revolver, but an even slightly tuned Beretta/sig/cz is a very accurate pistol.
    True, but if it's about a fast draw defensive situation, the better DA with one in the chamber is going to beat cocking for a SA trigger pull the vast majority of the time, and most people don't practice drawing and cocking enough to be good.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    True, but if it's about a fast draw defensive situation, the better DA with one in the chamber is going to beat cocking for a SA trigger pull the vast majority of the time, and most people don't practice drawing and cocking enough to be good.
    The only time you should be drawing and cocking is if you have found yourself in the unfortunate position of having brought a single action revolver into a gunfight.

Even if you are good at that, you're still at a huge disadvantage compared to someone with a SAO pistol cocked and locked, or a DA/SA that is hammer down on a live round.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Yeah, that just got me curiosity up. I used to consider my P-07 DA/SA my go to, but after several practice sessions, I decided I was actually more accurate with the Glock 17 even on the first shot.

I'd suggest to the OP that you might really want to find some friends and test for yourself which one you'll be most accurate with - especially on a first shot situation. You may find yourself surprised.

Actually have a couple of Glocks and other striker fired guns, including the P365, which is my main carry. The most accurate pistol I've ever shot is a DA/SA and is really what I prefer for this stated purpose. P-07 and P-09 would be two I'd definitely consider.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    For the price range you listed definitely a Cz p-07/09 would be on my top of list along with some cgw parts. I really enjoy my p-01 but wouldn’t complain with the others great shooters.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    I’m guessing you don’t want to hear this, but:

For a tool that you will rely on in an emergency, familiarity and confidence is a good thing.

If you know & like the Storm, I’d stick with it (btw that is about the only autoloader I’d consider carrying)

Yes everything you list is a DASA autoloader, but there will still be subtle nuances that can cost precious time or accuracy when the SHTF.

I own a ton of DA revolvers of different makes & frame sizes, but out of them all, round-butt S&W K-frames are the most prevalent (6 total), all wearing the same grips. 80% of my trigger time is with one of them, and most of that with a 3” model 64 that’s a twin of my EDC gun.

It’s fun to shoot something different the other 20% of the time, but the 3” K-frame RB is what my hand & eyes are accustomed to.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Actually have a couple of Glocks and other striker fired guns, including the P365, which is my main carry. The most accurate pistol I've ever shot is a DA/SA and is really what I prefer for this stated purpose. P-07 and P-09 would be two I'd definitely consider.
    So the P-07 IS pretty nice in the SA, and really not bad in the DA, but it's not as good in DA as the stock G17 unless you spend money on upgrades, IMO. That's why I'd pick my favorite DA for a defensive gun, and leave SA for target stuff.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    So the P-07 IS pretty nice in the SA, and really not bad in the DA, but it's not as good in DA as the stock G17 unless you spend money on upgrades, IMO. That's why I'd pick my favorite DA for a defensive gun, and leave SA for target stuff.
    Exactly what I'm doing, but DA/SA. Even though I own several, not looking for a SA like a Glock for this purpose. You know Glocks are single action, right?

Seen a few CZs for sale around that look pretty sweet, but the Beretta still seems to get a lot of love here, so might start looking for a 92.

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Exactly what I'm doing, but DA/SA. Even though I own several, not looking for a SA like a Glock for this purpose. You know Glocks are single action, right?

Seen a few CZs for sale around that look pretty sweet, but the Beretta still seems to get a lot of love here, so might start looking for a 92.
    Technically glocks are double action. The striker on a glock is only partially tensioned by about 40%, pulling the trigger cocks it the other 60%.

Cz's are ok, but there's lots of variation from gun to gun, and Berettas are much easier to improve (and give more predictable results) and to keep them up and running.

Jim Lahey

Zor!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Edgewood Tx
    Looking to add to the stable with a dedicated hammer fired DA/SA 9mm double stack for my office and looking at various options. Will just be a home protection/range pistol, so capacity over carry and no worries about concealability, weight, etc. Would consider a minimum of 15-round mag capacity, but prefer 17 and up. Like to stay $600 or less retail (seem to be some good buys on the CZ P-07 and P-09 sub $500 new as examples) but would consider $800+ range for something really special, whether new or secondhand. But it's just going to be used as described, not a competition shooter. Here are the usual brand suspects I've thought about that have DA/SA offerings:

Beretta
    CZ
    Sig
    HK
    Springfield

And on the Beretta, even though I'm a huge fan, I do already have two PX4 Storm pistols, the standard compact and the full size in Inox, which is another house gun. I absolutely love them both but would like some variety and don't want to add a third, though would consider something from the renowned Beretta 92/M9 line, which I don't currently own.

Any thoughts on specific pistols recommended or brands I'm overlooking are appreciated!
    Hk USP .45 tactical, best nightstand pistol imo.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Walther P99: poly frame, striker fired, DA/SA, 15 rounds capacity with the flush mag, 17 with the pinky extension, and 20 to 30 with 'stendos.
    Fully ambi mag release, too. Get them while they're hot! No for real, they're actually selling the last batches right now.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

”House Gun” ?

Shouldn’t your “house” pistol be same or similar to to your “EDC” ?

Suddenly awakening to a threat or noise is confusing enough.

Or, are you referring to long guns; carbines or shotguns ?

Last armed invader, I was already asleep when Wife shouted “OMG, there’s a man breaking into my car!” (As seen on our home security cameras.)

I had a carbine in hand immediately.

I haven’t been an excellent pistol shot in decades, but I can hit a quail or dove.

One more consideration, as brought-up by one who experienced it: Our bedside tables likely have tac-lights, guns, magazines, phones, whistles, and pocket junk. When awakening from sleep, we don’t have belts or pockets and only two hands. The ability to grab a weapon with 20+ rounds already loaded, with mounted strobe, laser, etc. is best “insurance”. Two hands, remember ?

leVieux

Top Bottom