• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    Don't forget that any locking blade is prohibited under the following San Antonio municipal code...

Obviously there are questions concerning the enforceability of this statute, but you can argue that once you are brought before a magistrate.

I honestly have never seen anyone arrested for violating this ordinance alone, but it is on the books and can be enforced if a LEO wishes to do so.

Cheers! M2

So all of my knives are illegal to carry in San Antonio? They all lock in the fully open position and are less than 5 1/2". I was under the impression that a rather large percentage of pocket knives were of the locking variety to prevent accidental blade closure and were legal to carry.
    ARJ Defense ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Another example of Texas's comprise with the liberals. If we were living in a more free state like New Hampshire we would not be having this discussion as they don't restrict any knife carrying regardless if it's a switchblade, longer than 51/2 inches, etc.

I know an individual who has an old stiletto switchblade tucked away in his gun safe that needs to be destroyed.

Are you serious?

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    Can one of you knowledgable members please explain the difference between Auto and spring assisted?

With auto, you can open the knife without touching the blade itself (pressing a button) and the blade opens and locks by spring. For spring-assisted, you still need to press on the blade itself, at last partially, to open it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Can one of you knowledgable members please explain the difference between Auto and spring assisted?

Texas law

(11)**"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.**The term does not include a knife that has a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and open the knife.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I prefer the Benchmade Axis lock to an auto knife. It is just as fast as an auto and even faster if you use the safety on the auto.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I see booths at our local gun shows with the old style switchblades on their tables. Wonder how they get away with this?

I was told by a guy selling them a a gun show Case Law allows for C&R style auto knives. I have no desire to own one, so I never checked any further to see if this was true or not.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Another example of Texas's comprise with the liberals. If we were living in a more free state like New Hampshire we would not be having this discussion as they don't restrict any knife carrying regardless if it's a switchblade, longer than 51/2 inches, etc.

Are you serious?

Acera.....were you asking serious about destroying? What else is there to do with it?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Anyone here a CHL instructor or expert that can answer this for me.

A colleague in my office just completed his re-cert class for the CHL and was told in his class that any knife that has a thumb screw on the blade, or any type of extrusion or device on the blade that allows it to be opened is considered illegal to carry when you have a CHL.

So by his definition my Kershaw Chill would be illegal because of the lever on the back of the blade. Review Kershaw Chill

I have read the latest definitions in 46.01 and in my interpretation my knife is not a concern, but I am not even close to a legal scholar and doon't necessarily understand all of the ins and outs of how these things are written:

(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
    thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and
    poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of
    inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with
    the instrument.

(11) “Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade that folds,
    closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically
    by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or
    opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of
    gravity or by the application of centrifugal force. The term does not
    include a knife that has a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed
    to create a bias toward closure and that requires exertion applied to the
    blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and
    open the knife.

He is saying that his instructor advised that devices like my lever on my knife open the blade by centrifugal force as stated above, I am just curious to hear from other instructors as to if this is what they have been told when going through their training or if this is just the interpretation of this instructor.

I just don't see how my knife can be considered a switchblade or illegal knife because of this extrusion on the blade when there are no other springs, etc, involved. But if there is an issue, I want to follow the law and carry what is legal. Thanks for the input.

Instructor needs to be hit with a sack full of hammers.

He's wrong. Dreadfully wrong.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Texas law

(11)**"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.**The term does not include a knife that has a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and open the knife.

Thank you sir

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Anyone here a CHL instructor or expert that can answer this for me.

A colleague in my office just completed his re-cert class for the CHL and was told in his class that any knife that has a thumb screw on the blade, or any type of extrusion or device on the blade that allows it to be opened is considered illegal to carry when you have a CHL.

So by his definition my Kershaw Chill would be illegal because of the lever on the back of the blade. Review Kershaw Chill

I have read the latest definitions in 46.01 and in my interpretation my knife is not a concern, but I am not even close to a legal scholar and doon't necessarily understand all of the ins and outs of how these things are written:

(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being
    thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and
    poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of
    inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with
    the instrument.

(11) “Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade that folds,
    closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically
    by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or
    opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of
    gravity or by the application of centrifugal force. The term does not
    include a knife that has a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed
    to create a bias toward closure and that requires exertion applied to the
    blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and
    open the knife.

He is saying that his instructor advised that devices like my lever on my knife open the blade by centrifugal force as stated above, I am just curious to hear from other instructors as to if this is what they have been told when going through their training or if this is just the interpretation of this instructor.

I just don't see how my knife can be considered a switchblade or illegal knife because of this extrusion on the blade when there are no other springs, etc, involved. But if there is an issue, I want to follow the law and carry what is legal. Thanks for the input.
    He was not told that. Assisted opening knives with the button on the blade are now specifically excluded from the definition of a switchboard.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Acera.....were you asking serious about destroying? What else is there to do with it?

Yeah, I was. I would just keep it locked away and never carry it outside the house on my person. Who is going to know about it?

One day, there is a very slim chance it might become legal....................slim with our liberal inner-city politicians, but still a chance.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I'd like to see the legislature remove the laws on knives. Heck, we can carry AR-15 or shotgun legally, but can't carry an automatic knife????? I'd also like to see a provision that prevents cities from passing laws more stringent than the State.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    :cool:
    Yeah, I was. I would just keep it locked away and never carry it outside the house on my person. Who is going to know about it?

One day, there is a very slim chance it might become legal....................slim with our liberal inner-city politicians, but still a chance.

Update on stiletto...........knife was lost in terrible boating accident along with all my guns.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Thanks for the clarifications guys. I thought that was a very unusual translation of the code and certainly thought it was wrong. But as always, I like to get clarifications to make sure I am not missing something.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    He was not told that. Assisted opening knives with the button on the blade are now specifically excluded from the definition of a switchboard.

I bet he was. Many CHL instructors are shockingly misinformed. I recently did a renewal with an instructor who had no idea what he was talking about, for example.

Top Bottom