• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Yep you gotta be carefull. Back where I used to live there was someone that was beaten and robbed. It takes police a long time to make any calls, took like 45 mins. Meanwhile this older man grabbed his shotgun and went outside his busness to protect himself. Police came up and yelled drop your gun, he didn't and they blasted away and killed him. He was the one that was beaten and like me he wears hearing aids, he didn't have them in. What 70 year old would worry about the police killing him when in fact he was only trying to protect himself from another beating.
    Guns International

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There is a huge surplus of s***heads in the world and they've run out of room to keep them all in Washington. So don't be surprised for them to pop up in your neighborhood. (I've noticed that they all seem to be attracted to WalMart - or at least the store seems to be filled with weird folks after the sun goes down.)

Seriously, you can only do so much and then you just have to go on with your life.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    As the father of two 6 yo twin girls, I think I would have acted differently. I do not ever want to know the pain of waking up the next day and finding one of my girls is missing after seeing someone the night before outside. I could never forgive myself if I had done nothing. Again this would be my situation. I live in the middle of 85 acres with no other house in sight. If you are looking through my window at night and I do not know you, You better hope you know Jesus.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    As the father of two 6 yo twin girls, I think I would have acted differently. I do not ever want to know the pain of waking up the next day and finding one of my girls is missing after seeing someone the night before outside. I could never forgive myself if I had done nothing. Again this would be my situation. I live in the middle of 85 acres with no other house in sight. If you are looking through my window at night and I do not know you, You better hope you know Jesus.

Do tell. In the OPs position, what would YOU have done? No inuendo, specifics please.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Seriously, I wonder if you have a peeper. Maybe not the 1st time hes been there, and maybe not the last. Game camera is an interesting idea.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    You did everything right.

Game cameras don’t always work. Motion lights are much better. Best ~ if it doesn’t or tick off your neighbors is bright all night lighting.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Seriously, I wonder if you have a peeper. Maybe not the 1st time hes been there, and maybe not the last. Game camera is an interesting idea.

yep, not everyone can afford a surveillance system. i know I wouldnt want to be near something flashing in my face and taking a pic. atleast you will know what they look like in case you need

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    yep, not everyone can afford a surveillance system. i know I wouldnt want to be near something flashing in my face and taking a pic. atleast you will know what they look like in case you need

They make infrared game cameras. But you can get security cameras that stream on the net pretty cheap these days...

Brit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    New Braunfels
    Think about it from a criminal point of view. I'm not sure what this guy is up to, but you have gone from being just another house to a house with a face and a presence, a presence that could possibly identify him. Because you were assertive and "gave chase" to somewhat of a degree, the situation has changed in his eyes. You're not just a cooler in the back of a pickup, now you're a cooler in the back of a pickup with a German Shepherd sitting on top of it.

Don't think I'm discouraging any further vigilance, I think you have elevated yourself from sheep to sheepdog in the criminals eyes. That has changed your dynamic to your favor. I seriously doubt he'll be back. It's a good thing this shook you up enough to be prepared to take the extra steps to ensure your family's safety.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Think about it from a criminal point of view. I'm not sure what this guy is up to, but you have gone from being just another house to a house with a face and a presence, a presence that could possibly identify him. Because you were assertive and "gave chase" to somewhat of a degree, the situation has changed in his eyes. You're not just a cooler in the back of a pickup, now you're a cooler in the back of a pickup with a German Shepherd sitting on top of it.

Don't think I'm discouraging any further vigilance, I think you have elevated yourself from sheep to sheepdog in the criminals eyes. That has changed your dynamic to your favor. I seriously doubt he'll be back. It's a good thing this shook you up enough to be prepared to take the extra steps to ensure your family's safety.

That's pretty much my take on it. You're now "that house" that he's going to avoid.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Should have avoided it in the first place. That's what shook me up.
    House was fully active. Three vehicles parked on property. All outside lights on, front, back, and side - and we've got a massive streetlight directly in front of the house. Very active street with plenty of traffic. Etc. etc.
    Then when discovered, he turned and left, quickly and efficiently. Did not respond or attempt to respond to my verbal challenge.
    None of it made any sense at all.

Will he avoid this house in the future? I certainly hope so. But I can't help noting what I've pointed out: Nothing about this house is easy or vulnerable. That can't be said of other houses in a 1000 foot radius!

Anyway, my vigilance has been given a good recheck. Neighbors know of the prowler. And that's pretty much it.
    Of course, security here has been stepped up since then as well, but I'm certainly not posting how on the internet.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Almost 10 days late I finally see this thread. Im glad you and your household are ok. That is def an eye opener. I admit, I have been one of "those" guys who used to say I would be Conan lol. Then I heard talking outside my window one night. I saw about 4 guys outside trying to hide by my gf's car. By the time I got my clothes on, minus shoes, and ran outside with pistol in hand they had split. I could easily have fired. But why? We were physically safe. The iminent threat was over. And they had already hopped the fence.
    Bottom line is, I feel your anger and the I cant believe this happened to me feeling. Look at it as an eye opener. You responded with perfect actions and nobody got hurt. Good job.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Almost 10 days late I finally see this thread. Im glad you and your household are ok. That is def an eye opener. I admit, I have been one of "those" guys who used to say I would be Conan lol. Then I heard talking outside my window one night. I saw about 4 guys outside trying to hide by my gf's car. By the time I got my clothes on, minus shoes, and ran outside with pistol in hand they had split. I could easily have fired. But why? We were physically safe. The iminent threat was over. And they had already hopped the fence.
    Bottom line is, I feel your anger and the I cant believe this happened to me feeling. Look at it as an eye opener. You responded with perfect actions and nobody got hurt. Good job.

... you took time to get dressed?

Bumble442

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Waco

Harbor Freight has a Color Securty 4 Camera System with recorder for $299 I got one 2 years ago and it works great.
    And a 2 Camera B&W with monitor for $59.99

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom