Capitol Armory ad

Thinking of getting an AR, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I've got the know how to build my own, and can. But this is my first time to dive into the black rifle world.
    I'm looking at ordering a CMMG bargain bin chrome lined AR. Bargain Bin
    Does anyone here have any experience with these rifles or the company?
    I know they're mix matched parts but any opinions are helpful.
    I've generally been prejudice about black rifles but the price on these seems too good to pass for a no frills flat top.
    Also any suggestions on which operate cleaner and more reliably would help as well.
    Hurley's Gold

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have a CMMG lower w/ a RRA LPK and a DTI Upper and I have no problems and actually like it a lot. Good luck, I think every American should have at least one in their arsenal.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    stick with (no oparticular order)
    BCM-Bravo company usa mfg
    LMT- lewis machine and tool
    Colt
    Daniel Defense
    Noveske

any one of those are as good as it gets,keep to that list you'll be happy and have a real battle rifle.
    BCM is the best value since it's less expensive,but still Tier 1
    If you're on a real tight budget Spike's Tactical also has high quality weapons,but a BCM won't be that much more and it's a step up

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    stick with (no oparticular order)
    BCM-Bravo company usa mfg
    LMT- lewis machine and tool
    Colt
    Daniel Defense
    Noveske

any one of those are as good as it gets,keep to that list you'll be happy and have a real battle rifle.
    BCM is the best value since it's less expensive,but still Tier 1
    If you're on a real tight budget Spike's Tactical also has high quality weapons,but a BCM won't be that much more and it's a step up

I agree mine was built using parts from most of these manufactures and I wouldn’t trade my rifle for the world!

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I have a Noveske (only got it for their stainless barrel) and in no way would I say to stick to the list ftw13 said. There is no benefit to paying the premium of the rifles listed. The whole Milspec thing is blown way out of proportion and in no way effects the reliability of a semi AR15. All of those rifles listed can fail just like a RRA, Bushmaster or DPMS. My non-milspec DTI upper has had no problems and has never failed me.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    +1 on CMMG for a basic AR. If you order correctly, you can get all of the state of the art inspection and manufacturing processes. I built a lower from CMMG components and purchased an assembled CMMG mid-length upper. It works just as well as my Colt LE-6920 for a lot less $.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    yeah any weapon can fail,but run some through a carbine course to see what happens....low quality will definitely show. noveskes come without stainless barrels....a chrome lined milspec barrel will do just fine for a lot less. those cheap AR makers don't use the correct steel,or properly test the weapons for small imperfections such as cracks. Yes,there is a difference in quality. You can get most of those rifles in the same prices range as Stag,RRA,DPMS etc. So go with what's built properly....or you'll wind up with an overpriced,underspec,sloppy built rifles with a carrier key thats not properly staked. Most people won't shoot the rifles enough to see problems,but why buy overpriced junk? Do you want tools from harbor freight or from snap-on?

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    yeah any weapon can fail,but run some through a carbine course to see what happens....low quality will definitely show. noveskes come without stainless barrels....a chrome lined milspec barrel will do just fine for a lot less. those cheap AR makers don't use the correct steel,or properly test the weapons for small imperfections such as cracks. Yes,there is a difference in quality. You can get most of those rifles in the same prices range as Stag,RRA,DPMS etc. So go with what's built properly....or you'll wind up with an overpriced,underspec,sloppy built rifles with a carrier key thats not properly staked. Most people won't shoot the rifles enough to see problems,but why buy overpriced junk? Do you want tools from harbor freight or from snap-on?
    Sounds like someone who spends too much time over on arfcom.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    actually i spend more time on m4carbine and weapon evolution,but still very little time. lemme guess.....you trying to justify not buying a good AR? i'm simply giving the guy friendly advice,he can spend almost a grand on a crappy rifle.....or got to BCM and get a complete upper for 580....and then get a spike's lower for $250 if he wants to save money.....overall way less money,but better spent

phatcatblues

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Mckinney
    Daniel Defense 2 thumbs up. check www.peachstateguns.com for a good price, they also have a Spike LE rifle for 799+shipping, awesome deals.

Attachments

• DSC05961..JPG
      DSC05961..JPG
      31.3 KB · Views: 320

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    actually i spend more time on m4carbine and weapon evolution,but still very little time. lemme guess.....you trying to justify not buying a good AR? i'm simply giving the guy friendly advice,he can spend almost a grand on a crappy rifle.....or got to BCM and get a complete upper for 580....and then get a spike's lower for $250 if he wants to save money.....overall way less money,but better spent
    Maybe it would help to know what he will be using his AR for. I agree and would never by substandard AR parts for a gun that I will either run in competition or utilize for home defense. To tussery's point, the AR I use when I run my kids to the range or introduce folks to shooting is along those line you are referring to and you are correct there is absolutley nothing wrong with using those rifles to a certain extent, but ftw13 is right if you try to HARD USE those types of rifles, the probability of them failing or breaking is slightly hire than the brands he mentioned in his list. That does not mean that those rifles are no good, it just simply means what kind of tool do you need for the job? if you are just Joe Blow the average guy who needs a phillips head screwdirver for his tool box do you need the high dollar spaceage alloy titsnium base screw driver set or can you grab one of the shelf at sears and still do what you need to?

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    The rifle would be used for home defense from 4 and 2 legged varmint. It would never be put through a course but if the time came that it needed to be rode hard, I would like it to perform and work.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Spikes Tactical Complete M4 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver Then goto spikes tactical get a spikes blemished lower $86.00 (the blem is that it has no logo) Who cares ... Put a decent quality parts kit into it .. RRA then get a stock of your liking from a $40.00 complete m4 stock body setup or a $250 magpul UBR .. w/e you want.. You are still going to come out with a quality gun for way less than $1000.00

EDIT** I just checked the above link.. and those are already sold out.. that was fast I got that link yesterday by email and there were plenty of them. $480 for a complete upper with hbuffer including shipping is hard to beat though.

As far as upgrades you can put on w/e you want down the road.

Or you can build your guns completely from scratch like I do.. I like m16 properly staked bolts in mine. I prefer 1/7 twist barrels only and the sky is the limit but I think bushmaster makes a good quality long lasting barrel for an affordable price.

As far as guns though that are good I have multiple spikes lowers, dpms, bushmaster. I just sold my bushmaster and I used that gun a lot and it never let me down. Your hard core guys will talk junk on bushmasters for not having a few features like "properly staked" bolts etc etc.. I would bug out with a bushmaster any day.

Also just FYI i have heard good things about the guns coming out of the CMMG barin bins. People getting them that are properly staked etc etc. There is a whole multi page post at arfcom about them.

Look in the NFA thread at the topic "Work In Progress" I just finished up another build of mine.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    As far as guns though that are good I have multiple spikes lowers, dpms, bushmaster. I just sold my bushmaster and I used that gun a lot and it never let me down. Your hard core guys will talk junk on bushmasters for not having a few features like "properly staked" bolts etc etc.. I would bug out with a bushmaster any day.
    That is exactly my point look at TNP on youtube Nutn runs a pretty stock RRA and has probably put more rounds of wolf through it than I have put rounds through all of my rifles and it still works.

Besides alot of the non "milspec" talking points are pointless in the real world or can be fixed when the time comes should you need to. Hell staking a castle nut takes all of 10 minutes. Properly staking a carrier takes all of 10 minutes. Should your bolt break get a new MP HP tested bolt (hell my Noveske bolt is only MP tested.)

Funny that you are accusing me of defending my crappy AR when it is running a Noveske N4 Stainless upper ftw.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    doesn't matter if you have a noveske stainless barrel if the rest is junk.....i would never put a stainless barrel on an AR,chrome lined 1 in 7 is the way to go. if the gun is a range toy,ok get a cheap one....but if you use it for self defense also and are going to invest that much money you might as well get the good stuff thats sometimes less money than the garbage. see my logic?
    why go for a RRA or DPMS when you can get a BCM for less?

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Hrmm, yeah you reading comprehension isn't too great. You obviously can't fathom the difference between a Noveske stainless barrel and a Noveske N4 Stainless Upper. Meaning I bought a complete upper from Noveske. You know the kind of upper that you can slap on any milspec lower and be GTG.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    no need to be a jerkoff because we disagree
    Well you kept talking like I went to a gun show and bought a bunch of cheap ar upper parts and just threw a Noveske stainless barrel in with them. When in reality I bought a $1300 complete upper.

Edit: Not to mention it would probably handle a carbine course with no problems, just like it's M249 barreled Noveske counterpart.

Top Bottom