• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Does the dealer have every model/trim on the lot? Of course not. In this thread, dealers do not have a single car (Z06) at all, yet it is sold out in advance.
    So get rid of all dealerships because a car that is normally readily available at dealerships is in limited production because of supply issues? Makes sense. How many of the people preordering actually want the cars, as opposed to just buying because they expect to sell to someone on Facebook for more money?
    Capitol Armory ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So get rid of all dealerships because a car that is normally readily available at dealerships is in limited production because of supply issues? Makes sense. How many of the people preordering actually want the cars, as opposed to just buying because they expect to sell to someone on Facebook for more money?

No, remove laws that prevent mfg from selling direct and let the market decide who to buy from.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    1969 I took my road test in a friends 1968, 427, 4 speed Corvette. It was the first year of the Mako Shark. I was pretty hot stuff driving that car. The guy who gave me the test couldn't open the door from the inside, had to help him. Last year a buddy of mine let me drive his C-7, that car has paddle shifters. Had a launch control system, bad ass!
    So, the thing about the C7 auto (with paddle shifters) is that it's still an auto (as in fluid), it's not a true dual-clutch setup like the new C8. The paddles combined with an auto really bring the suck, the delay between using the paddle and the actual shifting is horrible...especially when you track it...and then it gets hot / overheats waaaay too early. For the normal driver it's definitely cool though! Friends that have had the C7 auto have been quite disappointed with the results. My wife's old '14 C7 Stingray Z51 Laguna Blue was a BEAUTIFUL car...but she went with the auto...not really by choice, but that's what was available so we went with it...I'd get that thing into limp mode within a few laps at the track. Never again! For the auto...for us...the new C8 with dual-clutch...I'm sold...but the wife...not so much LOL!

C7-Dani-1.jpeg

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    No, remove laws that prevent mfg from selling direct and let the market decide who to buy from.
    I’m fine with not having laws that require dealerships. But i don’t think people would be happier without dealerships. People would still have the same complaints they do now, but with more.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    I’d love to own a C6 Z06, mostly for the LS7 motor they put into it.

They’re still relatively cheap, but that won’t last…
    LOVED mine...it was literally a track day special...but I got fast...really fast...and got the itch to go wheel 2 wheel...traded it in on a new truck (to haul the race trailer) and went and bought a tube frame race car and went racing! But, gotta tell ya, this thing was SWEEEEEEEEET!! No issues, ever. Being the last of the C6, a '13, it had all the goodies / refinements! Fully loaded too!

Z06 6.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    GM's electronically controlled autos have always shifted super slowly. Infuriatingly slow. The 8 speed was a little better than the 6, the 10 speed not too bad, but any delay sucks. The ZF 8 speed (8HP) they put in pretty much everything non-GM/Ford is lightning quick by comparison. It's the only auto I've been able to kinda tolerate (but I still prefer rowing my own).

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Just wanted to throw out how I typically buy a vehicle - I primarily deal with the GM of Thompson Fleet (Classic Chevy's fleet department, here in Grapevine). It's usually a text or a call with what I'm looking for, do you have it? Can you get it? If yes, hold it for me please and I'll do the paperwork tomorrow, usually in his office, if it's coming here, put a deposit on my card...and so on....same with another dealer in Decatur...these guys are not going to screw long-term customers who have bought multiple vehicles. If you want their names/numbers I'm happy to share, just send me a message. They obviously appreciate the referrals and they are no-nonsense. Easy peasy. I've dealt with other folks in the past and it's a PITA! Tell you how much I love Thompson / Classic - my VP bought two cars from him the same week that I bought the Z and a new dually. I drove the dually home and the trans started acting up - brought it back the next day and he tested it, same thing happened....hey, you really want the black one, right? Yep, sounds great - done deal!! You know how much of a PITA that would be elsewhere? Make it right. That's what they do. I've dealt with other dealers that are not at all a pleasure to deal with...and played the games...I'm in sales, I'll bring a lunch and a dinner and a bottle of whiskey if needed LOL...

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    LOVED mine...it was literally a track day special...but I got fast...really fast...and got the itch to go wheel 2 wheel...traded it in on a new truck (to haul the race trailer) and went and bought a tube frame race car and went racing! But, gotta tell ya, this thing was SWEEEEEEEEET!! No issues, ever. Being the last of the C6, a '13, it had all the goodies / refinements! Fully loaded too!

View attachment 340439
    This is what I replaced the Z06 with…only 420 HP at the ground but HOLY HELL, a handful!! 180 mph through the Daytona tri-oval on the Rolex Roval layout!!

1661290768991.jpeg

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    When I bought my truck, new in 2013. I sat alone in the salesman cubby hole of an office
    for almost 15 minuets while he and others were shooting the breeze pretending to discuss
    my offer for the truck. Starting out he was reneging on the price we had agreed on. I told
    him and showed him the price we had agreed on and he said he would talk to the manager
    and try to get him to agree to it. After about 15 minuets, I grabbed another salesman
    and told him to tell my salesman I wanted the keys to my trade in truck and that i was
    tired of their bull shit and was leaving and going to another dealership. My salesman came
    back and wanted to discuss the price again. I told him no, that either sale me the truck
    at what we agreed on and wasn't going to spend all day with him and got up to leave.
    That got his attention and did the paper work for my new truck. I was at the dealership
    a total of 2 hours instead of all day.
    What I did 2 months ago when I bought a new car for Mrs. No2Gates was to tell them, I am getting the car only, no extended warranty or spiffs of any kind, and if they ask me about the extended warranty or any extras, I will walk out immediately.
    From the time I walked into the dealership until I left, I was there for a total of 76 minutes.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I bought a used car from Carvana about 6 years ago. Super smooth transaction, loan approval was almost instant. Great experience. It wasn't a Corvette. I got to drive it a week to see if I liked it. If I didn't like I could return it. In fact the day after I picked it up at the machine we had an ice storm, didn't go anywhere with it for 3 days. After the week you take it in for inspection and start the paperwork for the registration, after taking it in for the inspection he brought it back out. Said I didn't put enough miles on it, take it home for another week. I kept it.
    Ive used carvana for buying and carmax for selling. Both were awesome experiences with little to no interaction with their employees

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    the new C8 with dual-clutch...I'm sold
    You're going to miss rowing gears. Executing a nice rev-matched downshift is just too satisfying to give up.

Several years ago I bought a car that was offered only with a DCT. Had driven several cars with DCTs before (some great, some terrible), but never actually owned one so I thought the ownership experience would at least be fun. Great car, but pressing a paddle just isn't satisfying.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    You're going to miss rowing gears. Executing a nice rev-matched downshift is just too satisfying to give up.

Several years ago I bought a car that was offered only with a DCT. Had driven several cars with DCTs before (some great, some terrible), but never actually owned one so I thought the ownership experience would at least be fun. Great car, but pressing a paddle just isn't satisfying.

I agree...that's why we still have it, it's almost the longest that I've kept a car LOL!! The F430 I was considering was a flappy-paddle setup (so it wan't a true DCT, it was a manual gearbox with the actuators - there are folks that have bought the conversion kit to make it a 3rd pedal car) and I did not like the way it shifted...at all.

So, the gearboxes we use in Trans Am TA2 (mostly Andrews, same as what NASCAR Cup used to use and what the XFINITY and Trucks currently use) are dog boxes, clutch only on start/stop...OH SO SATISFYING!!! Left foot braking and right foot blip on the downshifts - don't downshift to early or else you'll wheel hop and or have a mechanical over rev! Upshifts are just a slight lift of the throttle and you're banging gears...so FUN!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The F430 I was considering was a flappy-paddle setup
    Yeah those single automated clutches are horrid in everything they were put in.
    dog boxes, clutch only on start/stop...Left foot braking and right foot blip on the downshifts ... Upshifts are just a slight lift of the throttle and you're banging gears
    I haven't driven a gearbox like that yet, unless a motorcycle counts. Is there a pause where it comes out of gear for a downshift and you blip before it goes in? Trying to wrap my head around how the downshift would work without the clutch.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom