• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've worked in a gun store that also has an indoor range for about 1.5 years now. I've met all kinds of people from all over the world and I figured I'd post up some of the perspective from the other side of the counter. This is more or less a satirical thread.

The Video Gamer - This person is usually under the age of 25 and wants to live out his video game fantasy life of COD:2 MW. He'll skip the vintage Singer 1911 and go straight for the tactical tupperware like a coyote on a wounded rabbit. Go a SCAR? He'll know everything about it before it arrives, including what unit uses it, what it fires, what it sounds like, and what it looks like in a red digital camo pattern.

The Middle-Aged White Guy - This person is usually above the age of 40 and goes for either a 1911 or a S&W .357. They have visions of Dirty Harry in mind and like to tell you about stories of how a 9mm to the forehead will give you a headache and how a .45 ACP can sink a Battleship four miles out with a single grazing blow.

The Quiet Professional - This person comes in, smiles, buys what he wants, and leaves. You later find out he was a SEAL team leader, runs a Fortune 500 company, and likes to come in and draw smiley faces with a Mk11 Mod 0 in his off-time. He takes his laser sighting so serious that he uses a spotting scope to ensure that his Sig P226 is putting the bullet in the same hole. (This is not a joke, this person exists and is a customer of ours)

The Redneck - This type of customer likes to come in and enthrall you with his tails of killing Bambi with his .270 at ranges that are measured in miles. He'll shoot nothing that isn't a .270 unless it has Magnum at the end of it because he "doesn't want to chase the animal". The only thing he wants in life is more ammo, more guns, and more beer ... and for Dale Jr. to win the race this weekend and for the South to rise again. (Hell yeah)

The Usual Woman - This probably won't make many friends, but most women want the unobtanium gun. They want it to be light, they want it to have no recoil, and they want it to be easy. The upside is that they are more open minded and accepting of what you have to say than most men.

The Overbearing Husband - Straight out of the Middle Ages this guy is primed to tell his woman servant that she wants (read: needs) an airweight S&W J-Frame or some other lightweight, micromachine .380 that recoils like you just lit off a blackcat in your hand and with a trigger pull rated in metric tonnage. Don't bother telling him any different ... he knows best.

The Unusual Woman - This is the gal all of us gun nuts want for a wife. She comes in with an open mind, tries a few things, and goes for a good choice. The downside is that she'll out shoot you in a days time and you'll be frustrated to hell that it took you a year to learn how to shoot that well.

The Mall Ninja - This person is the guy that lives on ARFCOM and knows everything there is to know about tactical gear and nothing on how to actually use it. Their AR15 will leave the store with more attachments than their vacuum cleaner, and with no explicit guarantee they can actually hit something at 200 yards. Everything has to be tacticool (I feel lame just typing that), and looks far outweigh actual usefulness. Don't dare be caught with something traditional around this purveyor of the tactical plastic.

The Old Grouchy Guy - This fine gentleman doesn't want anything but a .380 in some kind of pocket pistol. He'll swear to you that it has no recoil and that a full size metal 9mm handgun is too much for him. He'll come in once a week to ask for .380 ammo, and when you have none he'll complain about it like he's somehow been living under a rock for the past couple years.

The Fanboy - This individual will like only one thing, and he'll try to convince you that everything else is inferior trash incapable of doing anything to the standard of whatever it is he likes. Commonalities include; loving Glocks, loving 1911s, and loving AK47s.

The Expert - This guy already knows what he wants and simply wants to know if you have it. He'll know more about it than you do, whether or not you actually do or don't, and doesn't want to be bothered by your plebian opinion.

The Old School Cop - This guy is a laid back cop with years of dealing with idiots. He'll come in, shoot the shit, and leave. Always has good stories and occassionally actually buys something. Always a pleasure when he rolls in.

The New School Cop - This guy is usually an uptight asshole with something to prove. Likes to flaunt what your tax money bought him, and has to always feel like they are better than you in some fashion. As an aside, most of these guys can't hit the broad side of a barn with a 10 gauge at arms length.

The Governor - He comes in, kisses hands and shakes babies. Doesn't buy anything but he's so quirky and gregarious that it's always fun to have him around. His entourage of DPS agents are always "Old School Cop" types. He even lets us check out his Class III items, and packs enough heat to be his on mobile security force. (Our Gov. gasses coyotes and owns NFA items ... hell yeah)

The Regular - These guys are what make working in a gun store worthwhile. They are good people of all walks of life that like to come in, stay a while, and go home. Full of good info, good stories, and good personalities. I know every one of our regulars and look forward to seeing them every week.
    Lynx Defense

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    You forgot about the retirement home suicidalist; The old man who shows up in a cab, is thouroughly convinced that a Taurus PT-22 is enough to "get it done" and then proceeds to ask you to load the thing for him. This is generally followed by a distressed family member showing up and leading them back out the door.

And don't forget about the Sigma Special followers.

Great list. You've got all walks covered.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I can't wait to come visit your shop when I get to Texas this summer. Can you arrange to have one of each customer type there, so I can watch the show? People are constant entertainment!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    My hubby is a cross between the Expert and the Middle-Aged White Guy...and he's 21, half Filipino. Crazy, eh? But I suppose having a white father did whitewash him a bit...:p

I am the Unusual Woman - I know what I want when I go in to buy it, because I do my snooping/information gathering/test firing well before I decide to buy. Woe unto you if you tell me I'd prefer a .38 Airweight to a .357 S&W. (Yep, that's my Model 60 in my profile pic. I love it!)
    And I can outshoot my husband at longer ranges...though he kicks my rear at anything closer than 20 ft. Go figure.

I liked this thread, kudos to OP.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't fit any of the categories very well. I used to be a Regular--was there every Sunday afternoon for a few hours firing my big flashy pistols and every Monday evening shooting USPSA (badly) and keeping score on my TI "portable". When the USPSA club folded in the early 2000s I kind of got out of the habit of shooting. I still go by the range every couple of weeks and shoot the breeze--I've known the owner since shortly after the range opened in 1981. I don't buy anything very often because I already have just about anything I need. Everyone there knows me and I think my dropping by is something they enjoy. I buy a Diet Coke and chat; sometimes fall asleep watching their big-screen TV (they kid me about that).

flashguy

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hah nice list.

and flashguy, kudos for fallingasleep at a gunshop/range thats awesome.

me.... hmm.

i dont know which one i fit into.

what store do you run/work at? i'll have to stop in and then let you slap a label on me ;)

badbronco71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Jasper, Texas
    Kinda new to this page, would like to know where your gun store is located. i'm the Middle aged white guy. Hey did you hear that they outlawed squirrel hunting in Texas with 9mm they were catching them thinking they were acorn's. budum bum.

1IV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Im a regular.

I also tend to be an expert.

I am also the guy who always finds the broken, abused bolt gun, or shotgun, and brings it home cheap to Frankensein it.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Now we need to compile a list of the personalities we find owning/working at shooting ranges! That ought to be as equally entertaining! I went to Eagle' Peak Thursday and was beside a guy instructing a female student on proper firearms use. He had a revolver and a pistol and I got to overhear the session. What a friendly guy who knew how to teach in a constructive yet non-intimidating manner. Don't know if he was affiliated with the range or not since he was dressed differently, but hats off to him!

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Mmmm to young to be middle age white guy, not a cop, not even close to consider myself a expert except for when it comes to technology, I play video games but I don't consider myself the "Video Gamer", WHAT CAN I BEEEEE. College Age Apprentice? I could be a regular but every time I go into certain stores the people there only look at my age and don't care what my personality might be, and never talk to me, Yes I am 19 but I am a lot more mature than most 19 year old's nowadays.

This list is only for cops and old people, I kid, I kid.

Top Bottom