Target Sports

There is more to fighting and self-defense than shooting well.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Some very relevant info here that I'm sure many of you will find interesting:

Personally, I think that's a great way to look at the edged weapon, in terms of it having an actual drawstroke, and practicing using many of the same basic concepts as you might practice pistol drawstroke. I also quite like his mentality of "We always go first." ;)

The real eye opener is seeing someone, that's good with a fixed blade from concealment, on the shot timer. Some people can get down around the .60-.75 sec range from concealed draw to in the target.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine trying to get a knife open while you're also trying to repel someone.

I'm not coordinated enough, lol
    I bought an automatic knife...because I could, I think. Then when practicing with it, it was laughable to deploy. Im still looking for a quality small fixed blade that comes with a good sheath that isnt crazy expensive.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have an expensive auto too, but it's just not the same as a fixed blade.

I like that one you posted in the custom knife thread.

I have a BK14 I really like, but gonna see if I like the Ratmandu size better.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I bought an automatic knife...because I could, I think. Then when practicing with it, it was laughable to deploy. Im still looking for a quality small fixed blade that comes with a good sheath that isnt crazy expensive.

Check out the ka bar tdi fixed blade knife. They sell in the $30 range and have good reviews.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Check out the ka bar tdi fixed blade knife. They sell in the $30 range and have good reviews.
    Just got it a few weeks ago. Love it! Bit more than $30 tho I think...it was a gift so idk exactly what they paid.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    No one has talked about running away. It works. Stay in shape guys.

Im really quick with a knife. Almost used it a few times. Lots of practice from draw. Don't sneak up on me. I almost knifed someone a few months back after hours at work. He cleans up the bathrooms once a month and no one told me about him. I was walking to a bathroom and he came from the bay door, said hey, and walked into the women's bathroom without stopping. I drew when I saw him and backed away. I called someone from work and asked about him.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Lots of advice, but easy to be confused by it.

I would expect a LEO to probably train CQ to minimize the lethality of the outcome. Likewise, probably to limit damage that might cause him or his department to be sued. (e.g., loss of an eye) Military is all about killing the other guy quickly, as there's a necessary assumption the other guy is gonna kill you. Self-protection removes all the rules except you'd better be able to show it was necessary - at least to the grand jury. So each one has slightly different goals and techniques - in some cases those are conflicting.

The best weapon is always your brain. Avoiding situations where you might have to fight improves survival changes immensely. Running, as was pointed out, may be your very best option. Distance is always your friend.

Look at some videos of real life attacks and it's amazing how fast it can go down. All the technique in the world is useless if you're overcome before you realize what has happened.

But one thing about these "experts" always bothers me: How many of them have ACTUALLY been in a close-quarters fight with a bad guy in which they've shot or stabbed their way to safety? I don't recall ever seeing news reports of that happening.

I want to see training by survivors, not practicers.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    10695176173_2ec6f0ed14_z.jpg

Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Great post. I want to take a class like this when I have the extra cash. Definitely on my training to-do list.

Shivworks ECQC looks like a learning experience

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014

Your best bet is to have a quality knifemaker make you one. There are a couple of really good ones here in TX and I know a couple in GA as well. For <$200 you can get exactly what you want.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My favorite flavor is esee. Still lots of good knives out there. Izulu is $50 shipped. Another 15 for scales. More of you want a custom sheath.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom