• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    All the other threads are for showing the pretty guns. I figured i'd start one for everyone's "old reliable" go to gun. Scars tell stories, good guns last, and show it.

View attachment 3393

That's my old Marlin 336 .30-30. 18.5" barrel williams 5-D peep sight. Dead on out to 100yds with wal-marts wonderful $11.79 Federal 170gr. ammo.
    Lynx Defense

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The worst thing about having a car in the gun rack is the increased likelyhood of getting it stolen. At UTHSCSA, (they're UT system) police sent out a memo asking that people at least keep their rifles out of sight because of theft.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    No, the Marlin is not displayed in a gun-rack unless its the one draped across the front of my 4-wheeler. When in the truck, it hides under the aux. seat in the rear. Major suggestion to keep guns from being stolen out of vehicles, aside from not having them in there, is to keep them out of sight. Don't try to craftily cover them with a sleeping bag or something. That just means that there's something back there worth hiding. Put them under or behind an obstacle that makes them hard to see but does not hamper the access to them when you need them.

And by truck gun, I mean a gun that does generally ride in the truck but is the gun that gets drawn out when opening the gate to the ranch when you see hogs running away. The gun that works just fine but for some reason, only you can reliably work it.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    ... so carry of them on cars is legal.

Why not put them in the car? LOL. Just hecklin you a bit.

But as for the carrying of loaded long-arms in vehicles, I have still yet to hear a solid answer on that one, txinvestigator, do you have any insight on that one? A reference to a stated law or code would be much appreciated.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Why not put them in the car? LOL. Just hecklin you a bit.

But as for the carrying of loaded long-arms in vehicles, I have still yet to hear a solid answer on that one, txinvestigator, do you have any insight on that one? A reference to a stated law or code would be much appreciated.

There is no stated code or law. For example, can you show me the law that says it is legal to wear a baseball cap while driving your car?

Of course not, laws tell us what conduct is unlawful. As my previous post stated; Texas does not address the carry of long guns in vehicles. Since it is not made unlawful it is, by default, lawful. To be charged with a crime there muct be a law that was broken. Make sense?

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Absolutely. I was just curious if whether or not it was loaded made a difference. That does clear it up though. Many thanks.

cdevon1200

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    here is mine

good old ruger 10/22, custom "1 off" stock, green mountain "sporter tapper" bbl, simple 4x12-40 tasco. bolt and trigger reworked by me.

zombiegetter 004..jpg

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Beautiful. You can't beat a home job with a stick. There's so much more pride in it that way, not just hot air. I know several guys who payed to have their triggers worked and they still feel just as creepy.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    There are not specific laws covering long guns in cars. Whatever is not illegal, is by default legal. Texas does not address long guns in cars, so carry of them on cars is legal.

Interesting, I would love to put my AK 47 on a gun rack, but I figured that was a great way to get attention from SAPD.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    and a great way to get your rear windshield bashed in.

i dont trust cities with more than 500 people
    :(

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    i dont trust cities with more than 500 people
    :(

I've got quite a few friends out in Mason, Tx where it's not unusual at all for a fellow to pull out a new rifle or pistol to show it to his buddys parked in the center of town square. There have been a few times that some of the police stopped by to see the new gun and actually show and talk about theirs as well.
    Of course the passing Austin bound drivers look as freaked out as possible. And at the same time, the little old lady's across the street just waive and smile.
    Great town.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What I do is if im driving to the farm Ill display my shot gun and my ak -47 in my gun rack on the back window. I dont eat in ever on the trip. When I get to mills county is when I get out of my truck, I take both of them out and put them in my secretly designed and build gun rack so that no ones they even exist. I never have had a problem with the ak-47 rifle with police or anything like that. Its not a true ak-47 anyway because its semi auto..anyway back to topic. When I leave the store they both get put back on the rack.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I don't have any pix yet, but I have found that an East German side-folding stock and 20-round magazine on an AKM makes a package that fits in a trash bag and rides rather well on the floor of a Crown Victoria!

Eli

Top Bottom